RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Magnum MS 2812 Charger/Inverter Issue

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Magnum MS 2812 Charger/Inverter Issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
strudeau

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/19/21 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 3 year old Coach with the above system. It’s monitored/controlled by a Firefly system, thus, no Magnum Energy Remote Controller which I hate.

Inverter works going down the road, and Charger works if I happen to run the Generator. When I arrive at my destination, and plug into shore power, the system goes into Passthru mode, as it should, thus enabling charging/passthru power. Unfortunately it only stays on for 2 minutes before disabling all passthru power and charging. I can get it back on, if I shut off the pedestal, battery disconnects and then bring it back online. It will stay up and running if I disable the charge side, or the passthru side, but not both. When it does shut itself off, it goes from its standard 117-122 volts coming in, to showing 181 volts coming in. I’m sure this is a fantom reading, but what’s causing it. I have been at multiple parks, so different pedestals. I also use a Hughes Bulldog surge protector on Bluetooth so incoming power is not the issue.

I have spoken with Firefly and Magnum and we’ve tried different things with little change. Connections are all good, I’ve tested the battery bank (individual batteries) and all good. We have also unplugged the bridge between the Firefly and Magnum, thus taking the Firefly out of play, and no change.

Anybody else run across this type of problem.

TIA
Scott


Scott
2019 American Coach Dream 45 A , Allison 4000, Freightliner Chassis

2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch, Toad, Air Force One Supplemental Braking
Retired LEO

BFL13

Victoria, BC

Senior Member

Joined: 02/15/2006

View Profile



Posted: 10/19/21 06:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Transfer switch letting some through so you see 181 volts (at least not 240! ) ?


1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/19/21 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi,

What happens if you remove the bull dog unit? Measure the pedestal voltage. It may be there is a failed neutral on the pedestal.


Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

strudeau

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/19/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Hi,

What happens if you remove the bull dog unit? Measure the pedestal voltage. It may be there is a failed neutral on the pedestal.


3 different parks now, all with good power both with and without the Bulldog. All voltage at each location was within range. Even watched it for fluctuation, boy that was fun.

strudeau

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/19/21 07:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Transfer switch letting some through so you see 181 volts (at least not 240! ) ?


I really think this is some fantom reading because it’s the same each time and at different parks/pedestals. I don’t see this when the generator is running. I suppose the transfer switch on the park power side could be going bad and reading 181, but I’d assume it would vary in the numbers. Not sure.

3 tons

NV.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/13/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/19/21 07:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When using the genny, the inverter also goes into the pass-thru mode (as it does with shore power), but if I understand correctly, there appears to be no problem with the generator as the power source…IF so, then the problem seems related only to the shore power source…Note that both the surge guard and/or the inverter have the ability to either qualify OR reject the incoming AC power, and for some reason (possibly the shore power cord??) your set-up is qualifying only the generator..My guess is that the generator does not pass-thru the surge guard, which may point to the surge guard…

I had a similar problem whereby my pass-thru Prosine 2.0 would reject Genny power when I tried to run the Honda in the eco mode, however, the Inverter would qualify the generator when not in the eco mode…Pass-thru inverters can sometimes be fussy in this way…

3 tons

byronlj

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 11/30/2002

View Profile



Posted: 10/19/21 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check your neutral connection in your original breaker box where shore cable is attached. I bet it is loose.


byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL


wolfe10

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 10/08/2000

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/20/21 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

byronlj wrote:

Check your neutral connection in your original breaker box where shore cable is attached. I bet it is loose.


Yup, 180 VAC means you are loosing the NEUTRAL somewhere.

If it has happened in multiple parks, highly likely it is a connection in your shore power cord or coach wiring, ATS or breaker box.


Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

strudeau

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/20/21 12:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Update: All connections in the Surge Guard Transfer switch are good and torqued appropriately. Connection/hot/common/ground in main panel all good.

Decided to bring the system online slowly by shutting off all incoming power (breakers) and main 50amp. Turned on the breakers 30 amp for the inverter and then one circuit and I got inverter power. Waited, and brought all inverter circuits up, and all was well.

Next I turned all the circuits back off and then turned the 50amp back on at the pedestal. I have two 30 amp breakers labeled charge #1 and charge #2. I monitored my read outs on my Firefly /Vega Touch specific to the Magnum. When I turned on charger #1 it showed zero on the AC Input Volts. When I turned on charger #2, it initially showed AC input volts at 118, and that the charger had come on (float). After 45 seconds, it kicked off and my AC input showed 184 volts as it has in the past.

I tested both 30 amp breakers on the meter and they both are good.

I’m down to the shore power cord at this point, unless anybody has other ideas.

Thanks again
Scott

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 10/20/21 02:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

strudeau wrote:

Update: All connections in the Surge Guard Transfer switch are good and torqued appropriately. Connection/hot/common/ground in main panel all good.

Decided to bring the system online slowly by shutting off all incoming power (breakers) and main 50amp. Turned on the breakers 30 amp for the inverter and then one circuit and I got inverter power. Waited, and brought all inverter circuits up, and all was well.

Next I turned all the circuits back off and then turned the 50amp back on at the pedestal. I have two 30 amp breakers labeled charge #1 and charge #2. I monitored my read outs on my Firefly /Vega Touch specific to the Magnum. When I turned on charger #1 it showed zero on the AC Input Volts. When I turned on charger #2, it initially showed AC input volts at 118, and that the charger had come on (float). After 45 seconds, it kicked off and my AC input showed 184 volts as it has in the past.

I tested both 30 amp breakers on the meter and they both are good.

I’m down to the shore power cord at this point, unless anybody has other ideas.

Thanks again
Scott


Try taking a reading of the voltages with a separate volt meter like a DVM.

If the separate DVM does not read the same voltage as your display when the fault happens then the issue is with your inverter/charger.

If separate DVM reads the same as your display (181V) then issue most likely is the shore cord connection (adapters?).

Personally, if the shore power cable is at fault, it should not take 45 seconds for the system to fail, it should be immediate shut down.. Pointing a lot closer to a failure of your inverter/charger..

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Magnum MS 2812 Charger/Inverter Issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.