RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Magnum MS 2812 Charger/Inverter Issue

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Magnum MS 2812 Charger/Inverter Issue

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
3 tons

NV.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/13/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/20/21 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using a volt-ohm meter, check for continuity issues between the cord’s male end (4 post) and at the surge-guards input side with cord unplugged…Then, if cord proves ok, plug in cord (pedestal breakers ON), and verify surge-guard input taps, i.e. 120v to neutral, and 120v to neutral, then compare this finding with the output taps…

3 tons

rdhetrick

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 08/30/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/20/21 03:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most likely the hot relay in the transfer switch. I just had to replace mine, very similar situation - when plugging into shore power, I had power for 30 seconds, then lost it.

In my transfer switch, there is a 30 second delay in the neutral relay to give the generator to come up to speed before transferring the full load. The hot relay was shorted so when applying shore power, it triggered the 30 sec delay. During this delay, everything worked, but as soon as the neutral relay switched, shore power was lost.

Replaced the relay and all is good now.


Rob
2006 Mandalay 40E Full Time
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee

strudeau

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/20/21 03:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdhetrick wrote:

Most likely the hot relay in the transfer switch. I just had to replace mine, very similar situation - when plugging into shore power, I had power for 30 seconds, then lost it.

In my transfer switch, there is a 30 second delay in the neutral relay to give the generator to come up to speed before transferring the full load. The hot relay was shorted so when applying shore power, it triggered the 30 sec delay. During this delay, everything worked, but as soon as the neutral relay switched, shore power was lost.

Replaced the relay and all is good now.


Not sure if this is it or not as the power travels from shore connect, to transfer switch, to main panel, to Charger/inverter. If I have a transfer switch issue, why do I still get power to my non-inverter circuits such as washer/dryer and AIr Conditioners?


Scott
2019 American Coach Dream 45 A , Allison 4000, Freightliner Chassis

2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch, Toad, Air Force One Supplemental Braking
Retired LEO

rdhetrick

Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 08/30/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/20/21 03:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

strudeau wrote:



why do I still get power to my non-inverter circuits such as washer/dryer and AIr Conditioners?


Do you have power to these all the time when on shore power? Or only initially?

Like I said, on mine, the hot relay shorted - essentially the hot leads from the shore power were connected to the hot leads from the generator power.

When power is applied from the generator side, the delay is initiated then the neutral relay switches over to the generator neutral - everything is happy and works.

When power is applied from the shore side, the delay is initiated then the neutral relay switches over to the generator neutral - now the hot and neutral is not matched and the problem occurs. All power is lost and the inverter thinks it's not connected to anything and turns on supplying power from the batteries. When it does this, the neutral relay drops back to shore neutral and now there is matched power in the hot and neutral supplies starting the cycle again.

This may not be what is happening in your case, but if you notice the inverter/charger continually cycling, I bet it's something similar.

If you know where your transfer switch is, open the cover and inspect the relays, you'll notice signs of overheating if this is your problem.

strudeau

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/20/21 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdhetrick wrote:

strudeau wrote:



why do I still get power to my non-inverter circuits such as washer/dryer and AIr Conditioners?


Do you have power to these all the time when on shore power? Or only initially?

Like I said, on mine, the hot relay shorted - essentially the hot leads from the shore power were connected to the hot leads from the generator power.

When power is applied from the generator side, the delay is initiated then the neutral relay switches over to the generator neutral - everything is happy and works.

When power is applied from the shore side, the delay is initiated then the neutral relay switches over to the generator neutral - now the hot and neutral is not matched and the problem occurs. All power is lost and the inverter thinks it's not connected to anything and turns on supplying power from the batteries. When it does this, the neutral relay drops back to shore neutral and now there is matched power in the hot and neutral supplies starting the cycle again.

This may not be what is happening in your case, but if you notice the inverter/charger continually cycling, I bet it's something similar.

If you know where your transfer switch is, open the cover and inspect the relays, you'll notice signs of overheating if this is your problem.


One of the first things I did. All Transfer switch wiring is perfect and torque is as well.

Power comes thru for non-inverter circuits every time on shore power. No issues with that.

3 tons

NV.

Senior Member

Joined: 03/13/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/20/21 05:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“ Power comes thru for non-inverter circuits every time on shore power. No issues with that. ”

What are your inverter circuits?…Maybe it’s the pass-thru ATS switch that’s built into the inverter?

3 tons

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Magnum MS 2812 Charger/Inverter Issue
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.