RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Air operated stairs not working.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Air operated stairs not working.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Cindy and Steve

Azilda

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 03:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is that sticker. I had to peel it off the other day to open the switch so I just stuck it on the dashboard. LOL. [image]

2000 Newmar London Aire. 40’, Spartan chassis, 350 Cummins, Allison 6 sp, air ride, air brakes.

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cindy and Steve wrote:

Here is that sticker. I had to peel it off the other day to open the switch so I just stuck it on the dashboard. LOL. [image]

These guys sell air valves, found several it look like you could use, just need to find what that fourth line does. I found online that is could be a switch on the passenger side to lock the cover so it does not move once set. There is a email so you have a contact plus phone if you need it. Still looking Found one that has a knob like yours but only three lines used to control a air cylinder. This is the one I found that look close, but need to know what the 4 line does. close for three lines

Parker Canada Division
160 Chisholm Drive
Milton, ON
CAN
L9T 3G9
Ph: 1 (905) 693-3000
Fax: 1 (905) 876-1958
pcdmktg@parker.com

* This post was edited 10/26/21 07:51pm by MountainAir05 *

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is not going to be easy. Looking at the sticker from the side of the box, you will see the four ports, 11 and 14, 21 and 22. These are the ports with the red and black hoses plugged in.

We will have to understand the diagram first, and then also identify which hose goes to which port.

Looking at the diagram, the zig-zag thing on the bottom is a standard symbol for a spring that forces a slide to go up or down when you operate the black switch on the dash. The switch is in the diagram up at the top. It is at the end opposite from the spring.

In each of the two diagrams, you have to imagine a rectangular block that slides up and down when the switch is changed from up to down, and vice-versa.

Each of the blocks has two arrows that slide up and down with the block. Each of the arrows is a path for air flow and as the block is moved up or down, the path of the arrows changes.

Now you have to visualize air flowing from the ports, and through the arrows, to the arrow point. At the pointed end of the arrow, the air can either flow out a port, or it can be blocked due to no port at that particular position.

Again, you have to visualize the two positions that each block can have. As they are moved up and down by the selector switch, the airflow will either push the air cylinder out, or cause it to retract. It is this action that moves your step cover.

At this point, we should now understand the purpose of the spring. When the selector switch is in one position, it compresses the spring by sliding the block down. When the switch is in the opposite position, the spring is expanded by sliding the block up.

This is the basic operation of the switch. However, there is more information we need. Read this first, and let us know if you understand it all.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 05:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the way, this switch, available on Ebay, is likely to work on this application, and for only $59 plus shipping.

4 way, 2 position, air switch.

The ports and slides are slightly different, but pretty sure this one can be made to work, but we have more studying to do.

This is the same switch that MountainAir05 suggested also.

Cindy and Steve

Azilda

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/21 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

By the way, this switch, available on Ebay, is likely to work on this application, and for only $59 plus shipping.

The ports and slides are slightly different, but pretty sure this one can be made to work, but we have more studying to do.

Hi. Sorry for the slow response. Been working away for a long time. So this product you showed looks promising. I assume there are some threaded things that go into those holes that will receive my airlines?

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 04:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cindy and Steve wrote:

larry cad wrote:

Hi. Sorry for the slow response. Been working away for a long time. So this product you showed looks promising. I assume there are some threaded things that go into those holes that will receive my airlines?

You are correct. The "holes" are threaded and come in various sizes, usually 1/8", 1/4" and 1/2", depending on how much air flow you need. The other end of the fitting has to fit your hose size.

Bikeboy57

Inverness, FL

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Delete. Misleading information.

* This post was edited 11/19/21 06:10am by Bikeboy57 *

Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bikeboy57 wrote:

Lets see if you get lucky. Many times those push on air line connections leak. Something that works sometimes is to remove the line from the fitting, and snip off 1/4 inch then reinsert. The nylon tubing gets a compression ring in it over time. If the internals of the valve are leaking this wont help. How many wires are connected to the switch. BTW, it is not a switch but an electrically controlled pneumatic actuator

If you had read from the beginning you would have saw that it is a air valve only, no electrically at all.

Ray,IN

IN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also have an air pressure operated step cover. Winnebago said it's air pressure regulator should be set at 45psi.
From the regulator, air pressure goes to a 12V-operated solenoid valve,(your switch) with 5 ports, one is for incoming 45psi air, one is for air pressure to extend the cover, one is for air pressure to retract the cover via an air cylinder under the cover,there are two exhaust ports to permit the air cylinder to move both directions.

When mine began to not work properly, I removed the 1/8" incoming air line from the solenoid and added several drops of air tool oil. After activating the cover several times that air tool oil worked into the movement cylinder and it began operating properly.
That was 7 years ago and the step cover is still operating as designed.
DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT AIR TOOL OIL! Any other oil contains additives that may react with seals and gaskets in the air system.

That is my personal experience with my air-pressure activated step cover. If trying this does not work for you, then perhaps it's time to begin spending money.

* This post was edited 11/19/21 06:21pm by Ray,IN *

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Air operated stairs not working.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.