RV.Net Open Roads Forum: A tale of two trailers, or prices are thru the roof.

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> A tale of two trailers, or prices are thru the roof.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Brandon the Traveler

SC, NY, PA, WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Timmo! wrote:

If one is a savvy investor, your overall portfolio performance should be up (in both up and down markets), but among the winners will be losers

Exactly, and if anyone considers an RV an "investment", they're an idiot.

I went.

Brandon the Traveler

SC, NY, PA, WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Better yet is what they want right now just to order a trailer from the manufacturer.

$5K deposit and no guarantees as to when you'll receive it. Could be 12 weeks, 24 weeks, or 50. They will agree to hold the price once the deposit is received against any manufacturer imposed price increases, but other than that its non refundable. (Found one who would, most won't) I offered up $1K for a deposit as was done on the last two I ordered, and that wouldn't fly, $5K or the highway.

If your rig arrives and is a falling apart hastily assembled Covid Construction POS, rolled out the door on a Friday at 3PM, by a workforce who started building trailers the day before, well thats just too bad. It's all yours. Or refuse to buy it and give up the deposit. I can't believe they find suckers to sign onto this BS, but they do.

rmnpcolorado

Madison, WI

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 04:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yeah, we missed the boat on this last year, but our timing wasn't right and we needed a new TV up front. Timed the TV purchase great, but now our TT is a 2011 and it would be nice to replace it with something bigger for our family.

So June 2020 we visited our local dealer and looked at a Heartland NorthTrail 24BHS. I believe the dealer had it listed at $24,995 or so, but we didn't like how it was constructed and instead looked at the better built Riverside RV Intrepid next to it for the same price or less, but couldn't swing it at that time. Today I was on Camping World's website looking at their "Clearance Sale" and I see a 2021 24BHS, same as the 2020 we looked at, listed at $34,732. I scroll down just a few units more and see a 2022 for $41,912! Now come on, there's no way they've appreciated over $7K from model year to model year, let alone the same amount over the prior year.

Yes, I read all of the previous posts and I agree with you, just venting. It's just frustrating when you want to upgrade your 10 year old unit and really can't. I think I'll take it to the dealer next spring and drop a grand+ in maintenance and call it good enough for another few years hopefully.

2020 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Max Tow
2011 Jayco X213

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rmnpcolorado wrote:

It's just frustrating when you want to upgrade your 10 year old unit and really can't. I think I'll take it to the dealer next spring and drop a grand+ in maintenance and call it good enough for another few years hopefully.

That sounds like the smart move.

Right now, your odds of trading a tried-and-tested RV for a much more expensive and unproven model - without regretting it afterwards - are not good.

Brandon the Traveler

SC, NY, PA, WV

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rmnpcolorado wrote:

yeah, we missed the boat on this last year, but our timing wasn't right and we needed a new TV up front. Timed the TV purchase great, but now our TT is a 2011 and it would be nice to replace it with something bigger for our family.

So June 2020 we visited our local dealer and looked at a Heartland NorthTrail 24BHS. I believe the dealer had it listed at $24,995 or so, but we didn't like how it was constructed and instead looked at the better built Riverside RV Intrepid next to it for the same price or less, but couldn't swing it at that time. Today I was on Camping World's website looking at their "Clearance Sale" and I see a 2021 24BHS, same as the 2020 we looked at, listed at $34,732. I scroll down just a few units more and see a 2022 for $41,912! Now come on, there's no way they've appreciated over $7K from model year to model year, let alone the same amount over the prior year.

Yes, I read all of the previous posts and I agree with you, just venting. It's just frustrating when you want to upgrade your 10 year old unit and really can't. I think I'll take it to the dealer next spring and drop a grand+ in maintenance and call it good enough for another few years hopefully.

Forest River raised prices across all their brands thus.
7-2-21 = 6%
7-30-21= 4%
8-14-21= 6%

42 days=16%
Just an example with rounded number
$35,000.00 + 16%(5600.00)= $40,600

I dont have the data for the period since 8-14-21 but am told in Sept/Oct the increases total @ 14%. If accurate the $40,600.00 is now $46,284.00

Its unsustainable.

They can keep their new overpriced slapped together garbage. There is no shortage of suckers to buy them right now.

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My buddy was buying a Grand Design Solitude this year, while doing so, we were were in a few nice chats with the representative.

Grand Design had 4 price increases of about 4% - 6% each just in 2021 due to commodity issues.. He was able to find the exact unit he wanted in Nashville ( 16 hrs away ) that was built before 2 of the increases at the time...

SAME EXACT trailer ordered to same specs was $8,000.00 more because it was built after the increase.. Crazy times in the RV and TV markets.....,

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Timmo!

South-central Oregon...on the river

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will this RV Bubble ever get as crazy as the Tulip Bulb Bubble (when prized bulbs were valued at the same price of a modest home) from the 1600's? Nah, but at this rate of demand and excesses, it might be by next summer, when EVERYONE must have an RV. Hmm, when will the value of RVs equal the same price of a modest brick & stick home?

Some of us were around when Nasdaq companies (worth 10 cents/share) were selling for $20-30. Me too-ism.

jffnkrn

peoria

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What do you mean when will an rv cost the same as a home?
We paid 70K for our home at the bottom in 2012, we bought our full size fifth wheel, fall of 2019, $55K. there are a multitude of rv's out there well over 100K. [emoticon]

Dami_Heal

NY

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 04:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for writing. I have been thinking about purchasing Rockwood Travel Trailer. But now I'm not sure if this will be a good decision. Definitely not for business.

* This post was last edited 10/29/21 02:33am by Dami_Heal *   View edit history

My little project here(business serves)

Timmo!

South-central Oregon...on the river

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/21 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jffnkrn wrote:

What do you mean when will an rv cost the same as a home?
We paid 70K for our home at the bottom in 2012, we bought our full size fifth wheel, fall of 2019, $55K. there are a multitude of rv's out there well over 100K. [emoticon]

LOL, I never considered a "shotgun shack" to be a "modest home". But then one's "modesty" can easily be another person's "luxury".

Today's cost to build a home is $100-150 per square foot...could not imagine living in a home that's less than 2,000 square feet. Hard to say what $70k will buy you today.

For kicks and giggles, how 'bout a million dollar RV, complete with spa?
https://mhsrv.com/luxury-rvs/?is_sold=0&........ice_low=250000&sort=price&direction=desc

Now we're talking! LOL.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> A tale of two trailers, or prices are thru the roof.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.