|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Changing a tire yourself

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
radiojeffrv

South Amboy

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 07:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have owned a Former Rental Majestic 28A for 5 years now and have loved every minute of it! We have also learned so much in that time. One of those things is that tire issues will happen. We have had Good Sam and AAA RV Road Side assistance and have learned that it may take hours for someone to come out to help. Recently while traveling through West Virginia we had a tire issue and called AAA... After several calls and promises they never showed up, we finally called a local truck tire place.

With that said...after the latest let down from roadside assistance, we bought a 12 ton bottle jack and a cordless Ryobi Impact Drill. We did a test at home yesterday and changed a rear outer ourselves with no problem. Having these two simple items could have saved us HOURS of waiting.

Are we just slow learners...have other people done something similar? Wondering how many others have changed their own tire after issue.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have changed a tire on the rod on our class A. I carry a breaker bar along with a cheater bar to break the lug nuts loose.
I raised most of the weight off with hydraulic stabilizers, then did final lift with bottle jack.
It was a rear inside dual. I would be very cautious about doing duals.
I was left in a rural area by road service. They said service would be there next morning "if" they could find someone!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

PartyOf Five

Wheaton, IL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's certainly possible but when you have your house and all its amenities with you, what's the rush? We prefer to let them come out and handle it but carry equipment because they're often not adequately prepared. We've also become more proactive with replacing tires on time, and driving with their capabilities in mind.

PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the creation. 5 yrs, 50k

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

BarryG20

Castle Rock, Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have always changed any flat tire I have had the pleasure of getting but I have been able to at the time with the prerequisite tools and a spare tire and the tire sizes I have been able to manage. If you can do it why not. However there are some you may not be able to change simply because you don't have the proper tools or a spare or you physically cant do it because the tire is too heavy. A trailer or fifth wheel should be no real issue to do it yourself assuming you have the proper tools for the job. Class B should be no issue. Class C might depend on which tire or tire size. Class A now you are getting into tire sizes that are just down right heavy to muscle around by yourself. They can easily be well over 100lbs tire and wheel.

2016 Jayco 28.5 RLTS

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Never had the experience of changing a tire on a class C. But have been changing tires on everything else since I could drive.
Guess it never occurred to me to call a service to change a tire.
But then again, the vast majority of tires/wheels get changed at home. Not sure I’d pay a yearly fee to get to call someone to wait to have my tire changed on the road.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

phillyg

SWFL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I was desperate to get off the roadside I could change a tire if necessary. OTOH, I'd wait for road service if the turnaround time was reasonable. The two times I've used my GEICO road service was for the tow vehicle and the longest wait was two hours.

--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Gjac

Milford, CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would think a 16 in tire on a Class C is much easier to change than a 19.5 or 22.5 in tire on a Class A. I can tell you for some reason they do get heavier over time. I now have to use a breaker bar under the tire to lift it off of the studs. I have only had to do it in my driveway to change brakes, hoses etc never on the road. Hydraulic jacks do make the job easier.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One of the first things my dad did when I got my first car was make me change all four tires. I do know how to change a tire and I can change a tire.

With that being said, I would rather let AAA do it.

In the past 20 years, I have only needed to change two tires. One was on the trailer in an area with no phone service or traffic. The second was on The Racetrack road in Death Valley. In the latter case, my Durango was blocking the road and two Australians drove up behind me and offered to change it for me. I gave them money for a nice dinner.

With the clipper, if it were a rear dually, I'd most likely pull off to a safe spot and call AAA.

And yes, I have two 20-ton hydraulic jacks in the clipper and one each in the durango and trailer.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a Milwaukee 3/4" impact gun- cordless under the seat of my truck....

Use the 6 point level system, change the tire, and retorque with my 1/2' torque wrench that stays in the camper

Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

when I bought my first class A the salesman pointed out that it came with a spare but no jack. he said there was a reason for that. at least carry an unmounted spare.
bumpy

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Changing a tire yourself
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.