|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Changing a tire yourself

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 07:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's never occurred to me to do anything else but change my own flat tires. I've changed them on boat trailers, flatbed trailers, trucks, cars, etc. I make sure all of my vehicle have a jack and a lug wrench at minimum. I carry a Milwaukee M18 impact wrench in my dually pick-up since those lugs are really tight.
There's no way I'd wait for hours to have someone come do a task I can do myself in 20 or 30 minutes.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our Newmar requires 10X22.5" aluminum wheels. I have changed a tire, but I'd pay 500.00 not to do it again..

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

BarabooBob

Baraboo, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For those that rely on someone else to change your tires, what would you do if you don't have cell phone coverage in the middle of nowhere with very light traffic. Are you going to wait a day for someone to drive by so that they can make a call when they get to civilization? How will you know that help is coming?

Bob & Dawn Married 32 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/22/21 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BarabooBob wrote:

For those that rely on someone else to change your tires, what would you do if you don't have cell phone coverage in the middle of nowhere with very light traffic. Are you going to wait a day for someone to drive by so that they can make a call when they get to civilization? How will you know that help is coming?

For many people, they never go to "the middle of nowhere", so that concern is non-existent.

For most of us, we take advantage of road service to not have to change tires when it's available. But we can do it ourselves in a fix.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/22/21 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real question is, how often is this a concern?
I hate to jynx myself but when or where I might have a flat has never really been a subject of interest. It just don’t happen that often and sure can’t predict when it will.
I do generally have a way to change tires with me save for vehicles that are local drivers or those that don’t come with a spare or tools.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

mleekamp

Washington, IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 04:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was surprised when we bought our C, that it had no spare. Bought the wheel and then the tire, and then the Roadmaster spare tire mount. Same as you, got an impact and a bottle jack, a few other tools AND a set of 3 ORANGE CONES in case I do have to change it...safety!

I hope we never have to use it. But like you, I practiced in the driveway. If nothing else, I feel better...and even if I could not change it for some reason, I have the spare for someone to help.

2019 Jayco Redhawk 29XK Class C, Ford V10 E450 with Roadmaster Hitch Mounted Spare Tire holder, Bigfoot Hydraulic Leveling

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 05:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have never had to change a camper tire on the road, but have practiced in my driveway.

I did find out two things: 1. My truck's jack works fine to lift the camper and 2. I put a socket in the camper that fits the lug nuts on the camper. I keep a socket wrench in the camper.

tarnold

georgia

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For my 12 ton hyd jack, I got a piece of round steel pipe the diameter of the screw head on the jack. Cut 2” of it and cut a “V” notch on one end. Then a 4” piece of 2” angle, all thick wall. Welded the angle into the notch. This sits on the screw head of the jack. This gives a more solid surface for the jack to support the round axel, and not a chance to roll off. A 3/4” breaker bar, 6” extension and a 2’ piece of pipe for a cheater over the breaker bar. Used this combo a lot. For the MH and farm equipment.

BruceMc

Oregon - Willamette Valley

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/21 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yep - I even changed all 6 at once!

[image]

Michelin recall project

'16 Forest River Sunseeker 2250SLEC Chevrolet 6.0L
Previously:
'00 Four Winds 26Q Class C (Ford E350 V10)
'96 Kit Sportsmaster 212f Fifth Wheel/'93 GMC Sierra K2500
'91 SunLite poptop truck camper
and the first: a Wildernest flip-top canopy.

Bordercollie

Garden Grove, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 12:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The spare wheel in our Tioga 26Q is mounted in the front of our cavernous cargo hold. At age 82, with "issues", I might be able to slowly remove all the stuff to clear access to the spare but would not be able to crawl in, dismount, and get the heavy spare wheel/tire out, much less get the rig jacked up safely and remove outer and inner rear dual wheel and mount the spare on the side of the highway.
I don't like to think about a tire failure underway but carry AAA emergency road service. Know your limits. At least have a usable spare aboard.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Changing a tire yourself
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.