|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Good Sam ERS Hung Us Out to Dry

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
phil-t

Ogdensburg, NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/21 06:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oakman wrote:

What I want is an emergency roadside service I can count on. Good Sam Raodside Assistance is the wrong choice.

Good luck! They all fail, at some ponit/time.
This was a simple tire/wheel change - no towing required. Any garage that does roadside service would do the work.

Maybe the GS representative misunderstood your problem? Maybe I do?

2010 Winnebago Vista 32k on a 2009 Ford F53 22k chassis

Oakman

MO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/21 07:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phil-t wrote:

Oakman wrote:

What I want is an emergency roadside service I can count on. Good Sam Raodside Assistance is the wrong choice.

This was a simple tire/wheel change - no towing required. Any garage that does roadside service would do the work.

Yes, this was a simple tire change on the fifth wheel and GS knew it because they asked me if I had a usable spare tire, which I did. But regardless why didn't I receive a call back or text?

These are COVID times and many businesses are short of help. But that is no excuse for not calling back. They hung us out to dry, it's that simple.

2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab, 4X4, Shortbed, 6.4 Diesel
Reese 16K Kwik Slide
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
Honda 2000i generator
Rand McNally 5510 GPS

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 07:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

phil-t wrote:

Oakman wrote:

Quote:

On 18 Oct at a fuel station in St. Louis County MO

You have a spare and jack? I bet president Jackson could of got your tire changed in half hour at most.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/21 08:07am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oakman wrote:

phil-t wrote:

Oakman wrote:

Yes, this was a simple tire change on the fifth wheel and GS knew it because they asked me if I had a usable spare tire, which I did. But regardless why didn't I receive a call back or text?

These are COVID times and many businesses are short of help. But that is no excuse for not calling back. They hung us out to dry, it's that simple.

The one time I tried to use GS, same experience as you . I just wanted to see how well their service worked ,it didn't . After about an hour not hearing anything , I just changed the tire myself . No more GS for me.

I have towing on my regular car insurance, after checking with them I am covered on the fifth wheel ,and truck for towing . Thats all I really want . I can handle the tire changes .

Esacnj

NJ

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 08:46am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are there any good reports on Good Sam?

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 08:55am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The problem is that all the ERS providers contract to local wrecker services for towing, tire changes and other road services. The provider is providing a service for a negotiated rate and will turn down GS for a more profitable, closer or easier service call. Response time will greatly depend on time of day, weekend, or holidays. So if you are in "Boonsville" on a holiday, you may have to wait until they can get out to you.

I have had to wait for a tire change because the shop was not busy, but we were 60 miles from anything in west Texas.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

padredw

East Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/21 09:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Are there any good reports on Good Sam?

I have had three pretty good experiences with Good Sam Roadside Assistance:

1> Had a spring to break on my fifth wheel trailer in Dalhart, Texas. We were completely immobile. It took some time (maybe 4 hours) but they did send a very large low-boy trailer, not just a tow truck (which would have been inadequate). Hauled on trailer to Amarillo, Texas about 80 miles away to a facility that was able to replace the spring pack.

2> Had a spring to break on I-20 in Louisiana (YES, same trailer). They sent a tow truck which, in this case, was able to tow us back to Monroe and the driver allowed us to stay in our trailer in their yard. Replaced the spring the next day by 10:00 and we were on our way home.

3> Had a bearing to fail with close call on trailer catching fire. I put it out with fire extinguisher. Was only 4 miles from service in Arkadelphia, Arkansas. Again, it took too long, but we were towed and did get the trailer repaired that same day and finished out trip. They did give good advice to call 911 and Arkansas trooper came quickly and stayed with us several hours until the tow truck arrived.

We have had this service for over 20 years, and maybe we have just been lucky. In every one of these experiences it did take longer than we thought it should have, but the outcome was good.

I'm not coming to the defense of Good Sam, just trying to answer a question honestly.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 10:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Move to GS Roadside Assistance forum from 5th wheels forum.

ACZL

UPstate,NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/21 06:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sadly, I cannot say GS ERS has done nothing bad by us anytime we've needed them. Wether it be lock outs, tows, wheel changes they have always been good. To add to the problems w/ ERS companies, some good, some bad but none are truly 100% great.

OP should write a letter to what's his name that owns CW/GS to see what he says and report back.

2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

md_procouple

Parkville, Md.

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 08:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have had good sam and have had problems with them to the point where I dropped them. Our last exp. we were on I-40 in Nc. around 11:30 Pm. and blew a tire on our 4x8 utility trailer around 10 Pm.. just needed a tow truck to get to the nearest repair location. at 4 Am decided to just the trailer and get the new wheel and tire and go back and hope every thing was still there... canceled bad sam. went with AAA have not looked back'

Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
">

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Good Sam ERS Hung Us Out to Dry
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.