RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: 2002 silverado 1500

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2002 silverado 1500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
mkirsch

Rochester, NY

Senior Member

Joined: 04/09/2004

View Profile



Posted: 10/27/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Brandon the Traveler wrote:

When I read threads like this it makes me wonder how dad hauled 5 kids, mom, 3 packed coolers and a ton of other gear, out to Yellowstone then the Grand Canyon @ 1974. He was pulling a 25' Holiday Rambler TT with a 1963 Falcon 6 cylinder wagon. I think those things had about 75 HP lol.


The population of the United States was only 213 million in 1974. Every 16 year old did not get a brand new car for their birthday. One-car families were still very common.

Translation: Lots less traffic on the road.

Yes there were Interstates but not nearly as many, so definitely more surface road travel.

Translation: Slower speeds, less power needed to maintain them.

Further, folks were more tolerant of someone poking along pulling a heavy trailer. Now you'd be lucky to make it without some idiot plowing into your rear because they "didn't see it." If they don't plow into you, you get the lovely hand gestures of irate drivers, and a good possibility of finding one of those irate drivers waiting for you at the next rest stop, ready to give you a piece of their mind, feed you a knuckle sandwich, or give you lead poisoning.


Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 10/27/21 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hohenwald48 wrote:



Probably by working on it twice a day and once at night. While you and your siblings were out playing around in the campground or sound asleep. [emoticon]


Well, it was a Ford, so...lol


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 10/27/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:



The population of the United States was only 213 million in 1974. Every 16 year old did not get a brand new car for their birthday. One-car families were still very common.

Translation: Lots less traffic on the road.

Yes there were Interstates but not nearly as many, so definitely more surface road travel.

Translation: Slower speeds, less power needed to maintain them.

Further, folks were more tolerant of someone poking along pulling a heavy trailer. Now you'd be lucky to make it without some idiot plowing into your rear because they "didn't see it." If they don't plow into you, you get the lovely hand gestures of irate drivers, and a good possibility of finding one of those irate drivers waiting for you at the next rest stop, ready to give you a piece of their mind, feed you a knuckle sandwich, or give you lead poisoning.


Very good point and totally true.
However, to your point, a car with a trailer making it up the pass at 25mph in the '60s being acceptable, a horse and buggy going 4mph or a model T blocking traffic would not have been.

Fast forward 60 years and the old underpowered rig pulling a trailer up the pass, slower than most of the semis, is today's horse an buggy.

It's all relative.

falconbrother

North Carolina

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2004

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/02/21 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm pulling a 5800 dry weight TT with a 2000, 5.3 Suburban. The chassis does fine for my weight. The 5.3 is just OK. Nothing to brag about. For pulling hills remember to pull the transmission down a gear and get the RPMs up.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Online
Posted: 11/02/21 10:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

falconbrother wrote:

I'm pulling a 5800 dry weight TT with a 2000, 5.3 Suburban. The chassis does fine for my weight. The 5.3 is just OK. Nothing to brag about. For pulling hills remember to pull the transmission down a gear and get the RPMs up.


Solid advice. In fact, I'd never let it hit OD and downshifts to 2nd would happen pretty quick on any grades.

One of the biggest factors for the OP is not the weight of the camper or the rating of the truck, but the condition of a 20 year old vehicle. 150k miles, could mean trans fluid looks like gear oil and the rear brake rotors have rust holes in them, or it could mean a very nice, well maintained capable truck.

tim1973

Georgia

New Member

Joined: 11/09/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/09/21 09:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

falconbrother wrote:

I'm pulling a 5800 dry weight TT with a 2000, 5.3 Suburban. The chassis does fine for my weight. The 5.3 is just OK. Nothing to brag about. For pulling hills remember to pull the transmission down a gear and get the RPMs up.


Solid advice. In fact, I'd never let it hit OD and downshifts to 2nd would happen pretty quick on any grades.

One of the biggest factors for the OP is not the weight of the camper or the rating of the truck, but the condition of a 20 year old vehicle. 150k miles, could mean trans fluid looks like gear oil and the rear brake rotors have rust holes in them, or it could mean a very nice, well maintained capable truck.


This holds true for so many vehicles on the road today. More folks(Myself included) run older vehicles. But, and I have a very capable workshop to do all my own maintenance, a well maintained machine will run for a long time. That and the continued skyward prices of new vehicles? Who in their right mind would have ever imagined a truck topping $100k? Wouldnt have believed it till i saw it with my own eyes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > 2002 silverado 1500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.