RV.Net Open Roads Forum: smaller MH with 2+ separate comfy sleeping areas?

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

 > smaller MH with 2+ separate comfy sleeping areas?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/24/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

Interesting thought re: seatbelts in a slide being limited.
I always thought the seatbelts were bolted thru to the chassis.
I wonder how what they bolt to in a slide ? The slide floor ??
In a serious accident , a thin walled slide-out would be the last place i would want to be.


Search youtube for "motorhome race"...It's scary how easy the house just disintegrates in any kind of collision...I don't think it will matter what the seatbelt is attached to but no I have never seen them bolted to the chassis.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/24/21 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I'm not sure with newer MHs, but in the past, seatbelts have often simply been bolted to the plywood base of the dinette and couch seats.

I suggest you lift the cushions and check.


I did. My belts are chassis mounted in a non slide dinette.


It just sounds so weak to me, I can't believe that rv building codes allow it. Plywood floor as part of the base structure seems more secure than the floor of a moving in/out side. That slide is held in place by a track that's bolted or screwed to the slide framework. It really doesn't take a whole lot to pop a slide 'out'.
To make things worse, wet rotted wood that you are not aware of would weaken that slides frame.
I've been there when one kept going out onto the garage floor in a friends shop. Owner had no idea it was leak damaged rotted wood supporting things.

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/24/21 10:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I'm not sure with newer MHs, but in the past, seatbelts have often simply been bolted to the plywood base of the dinette and couch seats.

I suggest you lift the cushions and check.


I did. My belts are chassis mounted in a non slide dinette. When I checked, the seatbelts were bolted to metal framework below.


It just sounds so weak to me, I can't believe that rv building codes allow it. Plywood floor as part of the base structure seems more secure than the floor of a moving in/out side. That slide is held in place by a track that's bolted or screwed to the slide framework. It really doesn't take a whole lot to pop a slide 'out'.
To make things worse, wet rotted wood that you are not aware of would weaken that slides frame.
I've been there when one kept going out onto the garage floor in a friends shop. Owner had no idea it was leak damaged rotted wood supporting things.


toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/24/21 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to check, I meant the OP.

Unfortunately, RVs are not subject to the same safety standards as automobiles are. That's why class Bs are more expensive - because the entire vehicle is built to automobile safety standards, not just the cab area.

As far as I have been able to find, RV manufacturers do not have to build the house portion of class C, class A, TCs or trailers to any federal or state safety standard. The only "building code" is developed by the RVIA and is only required by its members. And those standards don't address crash safety.


1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/24/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Sorry, I didn't mean for you to check, I meant the OP.


[emoticon] [emoticon]

pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/24/21 03:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jukes wrote:

considering downsizing. currently have a 2007 30' TT with the Queen bedroom and 2 sets bunks. These days it's usually just 2 adults and a 9 year old, the teenagers aren't so keen. But I've got used to space lol. Plus our 7.3 Excursion tow vehicle is getting old [emoticon]

Would like a smaller MH, but that can tow our old Boston Wailer boat. Also able to carry 3 or more bicycles.

Also want a separate full or queen bedroom area, plus another twin or full bed that can have a nice mattress (so not a couch pull out etc). The area above the cab is usually pretty small and awkward right???

Plus another bed suitable for a growing 9 year old..

Which MH's have this, good use of space? Best bang for the buck!? Thanks!!


Our small motorhome has two full size comfortable queens - the one in the rear that the DW uses so she can sprawl out with her bad back, and the one above the cab that I can still easily use at even my 79 years.

Another adult or smaller can sleep in the full size bed that the dinette conveniently and quickly reconfigures into.

All the above (plus a swiveling/sliding lounge chair) is in our 24 ft. non-slide Class C that can go just about anywhere with no toad required.


Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

jukes

Aptos

Senior Member

Joined: 10/06/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/24/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Great thanks everyone! pnichols, I am the same as your wife, I take over the comfy rear queen bed, for my bad back and better sleep lol. Hmm. so maybe the one above the cab could suffice for my husband, and dinette for the 9 yr old.. plus some tents just incase the older ones come along...
It's a catch 22, we now want to tow a boat sometimes, but then with a MH won't have a car for easy exploring! Although, I guess we could tow a car when not towing a boat!!
We do a variety of trips, everywhere from Yosemite, to Portland, to Shasta to Los Angeles to Olympic National Park next year we hope, and eventually Alaska!.. a real mix of towns and remote, although now the teens aren't coming we won't do LA in it again..

pnichols

The Other California

Senior Member

Joined: 04/26/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 10/24/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jukes wrote:

Great thanks everyone! pnichols, I am the same as your wife, I take over the comfy rear queen bed, for my bad back and better sleep lol. Hmm. so maybe the one above the cab could suffice for my husband, and dinette for the 9 yr old.. plus some tents just incase the older ones come along...
It's a catch 22, we now want to tow a boat sometimes, but then with a MH won't have a car for easy exploring! Although, I guess we could tow a car when not towing a boat!!
We do a variety of trips, everywhere from Yosemite, to Portland, to Shasta to Los Angeles to Olympic National Park next year we hope, and eventually Alaska!.. a real mix of towns and remote, although now the teens aren't coming we won't do LA in it again..


FWIW, just myself and my wife have traveled on two long trips across the U.S. (one of 9 weeks and one of 10 weeks) in our 24 ft. non-slide Class C and never needed a tow. However, our exploring and sight-seeing was not on remote/narrow forest roads, either, when on these trips.

In the western U.S. we sometimes tow our small fishing boat, and sometimes rockhound explore and boondock camp in the desert ... all with just the Class C. We carry a lot of equipment and tools with us and I have oversize tires on it's Ford E450 chassis to provide more ground clearance.

* This post was edited 10/24/21 05:54pm by pnichols *

jukes

Aptos

Senior Member

Joined: 10/06/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/27/21 04:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pnichols wrote:

jukes wrote:

Great thanks everyone! pnichols, I am the same as your wife, I take over the comfy rear queen bed, for my bad back and better sleep lol. Hmm. so maybe the one above the cab could suffice for my husband, and dinette for the 9 yr old.. plus some tents just incase the older ones come along...
It's a catch 22, we now want to tow a boat sometimes, but then with a MH won't have a car for easy exploring! Although, I guess we could tow a car when not towing a boat!!
We do a variety of trips, everywhere from Yosemite, to Portland, to Shasta to Los Angeles to Olympic National Park next year we hope, and eventually Alaska!.. a real mix of towns and remote, although now the teens aren't coming we won't do LA in it again..


FWIW, just myself and my wife have traveled on two long trips across the U.S. (one of 9 weeks and one of 10 weeks) in our 24 ft. non-slide Class C and never needed a tow. However, our exploring and sight-seeing was not on remote/narrow forest roads, either, when on these trips.

In the western U.S. we sometimes tow our small fishing boat, and sometimes rockhound explore and boondock camp in the desert ... all with just the Class C. We carry a lot of equipment and tools with us and I have oversize tires on it's Ford E450 chassis to provide more ground clearance.


That's great to know, we were trying to imagine not having a car. some areas we will stay put at campsite but others we'd need a car, but then again a 24' is usually okay to park in most areas I'd assume, although there'd be the hassle of unhooking but then again we don't always need hookups... pros and cons I guess! We rented a 30' class C many years ago when visiting from England, before we lived here, before we'd ever had a TT. Even with that we found parking, bit did borrow a car and hitch a ride a big sur down to the beach area..Do you still have to level out and stabilize a 24' class C? that's a pain with our TT, and it's still a bit wobbly lol

toedtoes

California

Senior Member

Joined: 05/17/2014

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/27/21 07:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With the class C, if you install a level near the driver seat, you only have to get out once - to lay out the levelers. With a trailer, you need to get out to check the level, get in to pull forward, then get out again to lay out the levelers, then get back in to back on the levelers.

It's not a major thing, but it's nice when it's raining.

I have never used stabilizers for my C. It's 21ft and I find the tires are enough to limit movement to my satisfaction. It certainly doesn't do the seesawing that a trailer can do.

If you are really sensitive to movement, you may want to add a couple stabilizers back there.

You can always rent a car if necessary. If you are going into the downtown area of a major city, you will likely have trouble with parking. That's mostly because you will be too tall for parking structures, so will need to find outdoor lots.

You can also get scooters or bicycles for cruising around town. Scooters are nice because you can hop an uber, cab, or bus with it without hassle.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

 > smaller MH with 2+ separate comfy sleeping areas?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.