RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Tires?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
wjschill

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/23/21 05:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just brought home, new to us, 2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA.

It has the original tires with lots of tread, but bad looking cracked sidewalls.

The original tires are Michelins 255/80R 22.5 GXRV. I want to replace with TOYO brand. Will the TOYO 265/75 22.5 work as the replacement?

Thanks.

Skip

KillingTime

WILDEBILL308

FORT WORTH , TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like TOYO's but would check them ageist originals with this comparator. https://tiresize.com/comparison/
Have you checked the FMCA tire program? I saved money on the last coach buying Continentals from them.
Where in Texas? I am in the mid city's area.
Bill

* This post was edited 10/24/21 08:03am by WILDEBILL308 *

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire
450 HP CUMMINS ISM
ALLISON 4000 MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 08:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I also changed my Michelins with Toyo's. Michelin has had issues with sidewall deterioration.

2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 09:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a few considerations with changing tire sizes. It's hard or impossible to say which, if any, of these would cause you trouble without more information (specifically what information should be pretty obvious).

The overall diameter of the new tires is a slightly smaller, which means your speedometer and odometer will read about 1.5% higher than is correct--probably not enough to worry about.

The new tires are a little wider; there are a couple of potential concerns with that. First, if the rims are not wide enough, it may not be safe to use the wider tires with them; however, I highly doubt that would be any concern as it's not a big change in width. Perhaps more likely is that the clearance between the dually tires may become too small, leading to rubbing and/or overly reduced heat dissipation.

Finally, you also need to check the weight handling capacities of the two tires, and ensure the new ones are sufficient (and at pressures that are within the limits of your wheels). I doubt there is a lot of difference there, so you're most likely fine here.

My hunch is that the new size would be perfectly acceptable, but do double-check with someone who really knows what they're doing or talking about (rather than just me). If you happen to have a spare, whether mounted or otherwise, it needs to be the same basic size as the others, of course.

Tom/Barb

Oak Harbor, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/21 05:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pangaea Ron wrote:

I also changed my Michelins with Toyo's. Michelin has had issues with sidewall deterioration.

Do you have a reference for that?

I've had 2 set of Michelins, they give a softer ride, and longer life.

2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

RLHAMILTON

HOME

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/21 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just bought 8 of same size tire from Motorhome Tires, Nashville. They are Michelins. Phone number is in FMCA magazine. The folks ae outstanding, and they have a regional installer come take care of you wherever you are. Also, best price I have found. Highly recommend you check with them.

DICK & JUDY HAMILTON
2012 WINNEBAGO JOURNEY
2017 EQUINOX TOAD
LIFETIME GOOD SAM MEMBER, FMCA, PP AMERICA
FMCA MEMBER F-386544

wjschill

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/21 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here.

Thanks to all. Good info here.

Bill....We are about an hour south of Dallas.

WILDEBILL308

FORT WORTH , TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DrewE wrote:

There are a few considerations with changing tire sizes. It's hard or impossible to say which, if any, of these would cause you trouble without more information (specifically what information should be pretty obvious).

The overall diameter of the new tires is a slightly smaller, which means your speedometer and odometer will read about 1.5% higher than is correct--probably not enough to worry about.

The new tires are a little wider; there are a couple of potential concerns with that. First, if the rims are not wide enough, it may not be safe to use the wider tires with them; however, I highly doubt that would be any concern as it's not a big change in width. Perhaps more likely is that the clearance between the dually tires may become too small, leading to rubbing and/or overly reduced heat dissipation.

Finally, you also need to check the weight handling capacities of the two tires, and ensure the new ones are sufficient (and at pressures that are within the limits of your wheels). I doubt there is a lot of difference there, so you're most likely fine here.

My hunch is that the new size would be perfectly acceptable, but do double-check with someone who really knows what they're doing or talking about (rather than just me). If you happen to have a spare, whether mounted or otherwise, it needs to be the same basic size as the others, of course.

If you go to the site I posted to it will give you all that info (except weight rating) so you can compare and see if the tiers will work for you.
Bill

Pangaea Ron

Anacortes, WA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Tom/Barb wrote:

Pangaea Ron wrote:

Do you have a reference for that?

I've had 2 set of Michelins, they give a softer ride, and longer life.

I agree that Michelins have a softer ride.

I can't seem to find an official reference, but Google "Michelin RV tire sidewall cracks" for lots of discussion of the issue.

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 05:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wjschill wrote:

Just brought home, new to us, 2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA.

It has the original tires with lots of tread, but bad looking cracked sidewalls.

The original tires are Michelins 255/80R 22.5 GXRV. I want to replace with TOYO brand. Will the TOYO 265/75 22.5 work as the replacement?

Thanks.

Skip

Check you rim size first

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.