|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Atwood water heater problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 08:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've had issues with the water heater not igniting. I cleaned the contacts on the motherboard multipin connector surface and that worked for a while and then I had to repeat this again. It worked for a while more but now it's not helping. My concern is that repeated treatment with Emory paper may have worn the material down and a connection is broken. Or it could be something else. Anyway my inclination is to replace the igniter board. We're leaving on a short trip in two days. I have the option of running the generator to heat the water with 110 VAC or use the hot water produced when driving from the hoses coming from the engine's cooling system. Ideally I'd like to get the igniter board. Where can I get it? Would an Airstream dealer have it in stock? I'm passing one near Morgan Hill, CA on Monday. Our coach is a 2000 Airstream Land Yacht. It is the Atwood 91367 circuit board. Appears to be fairly common.

* This post was edited 10/23/21 09:00pm by Teleman *

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 08:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get Dinosaur electronics circuit boards from Amazon.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 09:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[quote=enblethen]You can get Dinosaur electronics circuit boards from Amazon.[/quote
Yes I see that. I'm hoping to get one on the road as anything from Amazon ordered now arrives a day too late ]

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/23/21 09:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see there's a Camping World on the way. I suppose I can check there.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 03:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last year I had a problem with the water heater. Cleaned all of the 12v connections, took the propane tube off cleaned it out, (you may want to do that critters like to hide in there) still did not work. I changed the circuit board and still did not work. Come to find out my problem was the igniter wire. Most of the wire strands were broken. New igniter wire great water heater operation.

Good Luck

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 05:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All of the above are good suggestions, but here are couple more:

1. The ground wire is critical for proper operation and must have a clean connection to ground. That connections frequently gets corroded under the head of the screw that holds the wire to the furnace. Just taking the screw out and reinstalling it works sometimes. A better fix is to clean the metal surface and the wire/screw with a wire brush and then reinstall. Be sure it is tight.

2. If you have cleaned the electrical connections on the board with emory cloth, you may have cleaned off the connection surface too. A simple repair is to use a solder gun and silver solder to restore those surfaces. Just heat up the gun or iron, and melt some silver solder onto the strips. I have done this in the past and it does work.

I would try the ground wire first.

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

JimK-NY

NY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/24/21 06:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I still have the manual that came with my 2004 Atwood water heater. The manual includes a warning to avoid changing the circuit board except as a last resort. Cleaning connectors and cleaning the ignitor and adjusting the gap might help temporarily when the ignitor starts to fail. When the heater fails to light or lights and shuts off, it is time for a new ignitor. It is cheap, quick and easy to replace and is very likely to solve the issue.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can call Dinosaur and find who on your route stocks your board.
Dinosaur electronics

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all the helpful suggestions. I will get busy following through with them.

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry cad wrote:

All of the above are good suggestions, but here are couple more:

1. The ground wire is critical for proper operation and must have a clean connection to ground. That connections frequently gets corroded under the head of the screw that holds the wire to the furnace. Just taking the screw out and reinstalling it works sometimes. A better fix is to clean the metal surface and the wire/screw with a wire brush and then reinstall. Be sure it is tight.

2. If you have cleaned the electrical connections on the board with emory cloth, you may have cleaned off the connection surface too. A simple repair is to use a solder gun and silver solder to restore those surfaces. Just heat up the gun or iron, and melt some silver solder onto the strips. I have done this in the past and it does work.

I would try the ground wire first.
I think that's what happened.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Atwood water heater problem
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.