|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Stability control

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Phedley

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/21 09:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Has anyone doubled the rear shocks and stabilizer? Another words the rear suspension would have 4 shocks and 2 sway bars. What’s your thoughts.

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/21 10:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No, on doubling the shocks or other hardware.
I am in the process of adding Sumo Springs to try to mitigate the curb roll, and sway from driveways and 18 wheeler bow wash. If the handling improves, that would be a bonus, but I'm only after a low speed rock and roll improvement. These things have very mushy suspension, and the gap beteeen the frame and suspension bump stops is pretty wide, probably to soften the ride, but the trade off is serious wobble entering/exiting even slightly angled grades and driveways. If it works, great. If not, no harm done.

Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

Phedley

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/21 10:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yea bought some of the SumoSprings also. The yellow one. Have not installed yet. Let me know how your results are. I’ve driver 18 wheelers and such but never this bad.

klutchdust

Orange, California

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/21 08:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The curb roll on my 30' Cambria was minimized by the addition/changing of the shocks to Koni vs. what Ford installed on the chassis. Curious to see what the Sumo can do. Was under the impression they were meant to be more of a weight bearing device.

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/21 08:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

klutchdust wrote:

The curb roll on my 30' Cambria was minimized by the addition/changing of the shocks to Koni vs. what Ford installed on the chassis. Curious to see what the Sumo can do. Was under the impression they were meant to be more of a weight bearing device.

They're a constant contact compressible bump stop between the suspension and frame, is how I would describe them.
At least the ones I'm trying are. I have added the yellow rears (1400lbs combined support at 50% compression) SSR-338-54, and so far, they have done what they promised. I'm seeing reduced push/sway due to cross winds/big truck bow wash, and I used to bottom out the tail, if I left/entered my driveway a little too fast. That hasn't happened either.
I was impressed enough that I ordered the fronts SSF-106-47 (1000lbs at 50% compression) hoping to add some more stability to cornering and curb roll. Even a bit of improvement will be worth it. Still waiting for them to arrive.
My factory shocks are Bilsteins, and I haven't read anywhere that changing them out was worth the effort/cost, so I'm waiting to see if the Sumos alone will give me enough improvement.

Phedley

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/21 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just installed the yellow sumo springs what a difference. I will be putting them on the front. Thanks for the update!

bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone know if TL Stableloads help on these rvs ? Might be another option for some experiencing side to side motion. They worked well with my pickup hauling TC’s.

This link explains and reviews what they are.

https://www.torklift.com/blog/entry/cust........leloads-suspension-stabilizer?format=amp

MDKMDK

Lockdown Gulag

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 08:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Phedley wrote:

I just installed the yellow sumo springs what a difference. I will be putting them on the front. Thanks for the update!

Good news? I've decided to wait for a while, and a few more miles to add the fronts to my chassis. The rears do seem to help, so I may not need the fronts after all, but I have them, if needed. Weather is starting to chill up here, which also helped decide which way to proceed.

Snomas

Sedona, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed front and rear sway bars, Bilstein shocks, safeT steering arm, wheel aligjment corrected tire pressure and it made a great improvement to my driving experience

2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD

rjstractor

Maple Valley, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/29/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not very helpful, as the OPs motorhome is on a Mercedes chassis.

To the OP, I haven't seen too many handling complaints about the Mercedes chassis. Part of may be your expectations, depending on what they are. Although some say they do, these things don't drive like SUVs. Have you owned other motorhomes?

I haven't seen anyone mention weights. GVWR is pretty low for a motorhome this size, and it would not take a huge overload on the rear axle to make it handle terribly. I would start by knowing your weights.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Stability control
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.