|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Loading generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Silas Carpy

Elmira N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 07:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First time winterizing, I think I covered all bases, finally found low point and f.w tank drains. Added pink stuff and pumped through. Star-tron in tank and filled fuel. Parked on tire savers screwed to 3/4 kilzed plywood. Checked engine anti freeze. My question is, how do people put a load on the generator during winter storage? I’ve been running the ac but only goes down to 55 so no load at temps below that. Nothing else puts that much of a draw on gen. I thought about an electric heater but using that in cold will create condensation. Supposed to run gen every month. Any suggestions appreciated.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nothing will go wrong with the generator if you don’t put a load on it this winter or next.
Main reason to run it is to run some gas through it and keep the carb from gumming up.
Sounds like you have it all ready for winter!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Ed_Gee

Central Oregon coast

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 10:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any reason you can't just plug the little electric heater into an outside outlet?....or if no outside outlet, run an extension cord to inside?

Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 10:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How will using an electric heater in the cold create condensation? It doesn't add moisture to the air, so there's nothing (new) to condense out. If anything, it would (temporarily) remove condensation as the warmer air can hold more moisture, and some of the already condensed water will evaporate or sublime into water vapor.

If you're in with the electric heater, breathing and perspiring, you will of course be adding moisture to the air that can condense out...but that's also true if you're in there without the heater.

IMHO, an electric space heater or two makes a dandy load for the generator. At some times of the year, the combination of a heater and the air conditioner works well, too.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 10/24/21 11:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does your air conditioner not have an electric heat strip?

If you leave water in the water heater when you winterize, another option is to turn it on - It draws a nice chunk of AC power.

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 03:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When running the generator for its monthly winter exercise, I will turn on the toaster, and electric heater. These will give the gen. enough demand.

I do not want to start a battle but why would anyone leave water in their water heater over winter! The water heater needs to be drained, if you winterize your coach thats part of the process.

Good Luck

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Silas Carpy

Elmira N.Y.

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 05:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you all. Not familiar with electric heat strip on ac so I guess I don’t have that! Water heater is drained so I guess electric heater is the way to go. Thanks again.

Dutch_12078

Winters south, summers north

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/21 07:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Nothing will go wrong with the generator if you don’t put a load on it this winter or next.
Main reason to run it is to run some gas through it and keep the carb from gumming up.

Along with keeping the carb from gumming up, exercising the generator keeps the copper slip rings from building up corrosion and dries out any moisture in the windings. From an Onan owner's manual:

[image]

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/25/21 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two of the 1500 watt space heaters if it is a 4000 watt generator in the winter. The air conditioner in the summer.

Grit dog wrote:

And to keep the brushes from corroding, which is why you need at least a 50% load on the generator. While nothing may go wrong this winter or next, letting it sit without running WILL eventually make it non-functional.

Skibane wrote:

If you leave water in the water heater when you winterize, another option is to turn it on - It draws a nice chunk of AC power.

After 20 minutes, the water is hot and the heater cuts off. If running the generator for 2 hours, you need something that lasts longer.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 10/25/21 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fill the tank with stabil or seafoam and drive it to stir it up. then run the generator long enough to get it into the carburetor. it will then be fine to sit all winter.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Loading generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.