|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Long Bed vs Bigger Overhang - off - roading

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Cortttt

Western US

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just reweighed my van - 9700 lbs it is! Shocking....But it's close to the weight of a TC - which relieves my mind about being too heavy and getting stuck more often. Everything has a tradeoff - the TC provides a lot more space and amenities with more height and the rocking and rolling issues, while the van is stabler but doesn't have the necessary amenities for my partner (and some that I want) (we are tent camping) and no 4WD.

* This post was edited 10/27/21 03:59pm by Cortttt *

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like in your other, very similar thread, a good point was made that there are alot of considerations in trying to do some real 4 wheelin with a TC.
And coming from a 2wd van to a 4x4, your sense of adventure could get a little bolder! lol
But, as you mentioned, a new/newer TC or any full featured TC likely is heads and tails above the van for comfort and amenities.

Back to the real question, how far into the toolies do you plan to take a TC and how often? Because with a TC you also have the option of dropping it off the truck and then getting a little western on the trails. But you'll be limited in that you won't be taking the TC to that "secret" hard to get to high country campsite, you may be camped 20 miles back closer to an improved road.

Unless the van is decked out with stove, fridge, ample water and tanks, full bath, etc, it's more of a luxurious tent.
And you wouldn't be asking all these questions if you didn't want to upgrade.

Given that RV prices (and trucks) are whoerhuose high right now, I could suggest another option.
Get the truck that you want. Then find an older, lighter, hard side camper like them Lances in the pics and go use it. It will be a much lower cost (and easy to recoup your expense by selling it as long as you keep it rubber side down) intro, with similar amenities in a slightly more manageable package than a beautiful new camper.

If it meets or exceeds your expectations regarding accessibility to the country you want to see with it, then you'll have a much better feeling for how you'd handle a heavier camper and where it's or your limits would be.
Good luck! I like where your head is at with this. Nothing better than getting your nice comfortable camper back where noone else is in your bisniss!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Cortttt

Western US

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Like in your other, very similar thread, a good point was made that there are alot of considerations in trying to do some real 4 wheelin with a TC.
And coming from a 2wd van to a 4x4, your sense of adventure could get a little bolder! lol
But, as you mentioned, a new/newer TC or any full featured TC likely is heads and tails above the van for comfort and amenities.

Back to the real question, how far into the toolies do you plan to take a TC and how often? Because with a TC you also have the option of dropping it off the truck and then getting a little western on the trails. But you'll be limited in that you won't be taking the TC to that "secret" hard to get to high country campsite, you may be camped 20 miles back closer to an improved road.

Unless the van is decked out with stove, fridge, ample water and tanks, full bath, etc, it's more of a luxurious tent.
And you wouldn't be asking all these questions if you didn't want to upgrade.

Given that RV prices (and trucks) are whoerhuose high right now, I could suggest another option.
Get the truck that you want. Then find an older, lighter, hard side camper like them Lances in the pics and go use it. It will be a much lower cost (and easy to recoup your expense by selling it as long as you keep it rubber side down) intro, with similar amenities in a slightly more manageable package than a beautiful new camper.

If it meets or exceeds your expectations regarding accessibility to the country you want to see with it, then you'll have a much better feeling for how you'd handle a heavier camper and where it's or your limits would be.
Good luck! I like where your head is at with this. Nothing better than getting your nice comfortable camper back where noone else is in your bisniss!

Thanks! I had not thought of that at all. I had thought of buying an older truck - in hopes that a hybrid version will come out in the near future - but not in checking out an older camper. Nice idea! [emoticon]

Cortttt

Western US

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 04:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's a nice overview

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com/building-a-great-overland-expedition-truck-camper-rig/

JoeChiOhki

Sauvie Island, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/21 06:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As one who does USFS and BLM roads in Oregon, which are likely vastly higher quality than the ones you'd find in the more back country areas in the US SW and what not, I haven't had any issues so far with my 11' Campers, as I usually have a 48" hitch extension in that will hit the ground usually before it ever gets close to the camper's rear jacks would (Slightly less issue there now with the Amerigo as the rear jacks are not at the very rear corners due to the camper's structural design, but on the front edges of the rear overhang instead close to the rear bumper of the truck.

For areas with more washes and deep centers, it would be a greater issue, and would likely require some creative driving to cross them at diagonals or use something to keep the tires from going all the way to the bottom of the hole to get across safely, as I'm just as likely to plow the front basket into the ground for the same reason as I would drag my butt.

My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express
CB Channel 17 Redneck Express
'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

cptqueeg

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cortttt wrote:

Thanks. It sounds like you're doing about what I would be doing. That steep, rocky road looks like something I would probably stay away from. Over time I've become more conservative. Sometimes there's no resisting a challenge, though. [emoticon]

Same here even w/out a camper; I have become much more conservative and less reluctant to walk over the years.

tiptoptune

Breckenridge Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

13 years experience with a 10'-11" bigfoot TC on 4 door dually used often on BLM and forest roads in colorado mountains and more that hangs 3 feet out the back of 8' box and has extended hitch and side boxes. Ground clearance is not an issue, height is (carry a pole saw) weight of 12,000#s is a lot. Rear diff on heavy duty trucks hangs low. Need taller tires which will reduce gear ratio. We drag ours occasionally. never been stuck, but it tips and leans a lot! Punctured one of the duals on a fairly steep rocky road once. It was a 8 ply michelin at 80% tread and the rock tore a hole right through the middle of the tread. Instantly flat. Had it been a steer it would have been a challenge. Not sure we could have changed it on the grade we were on. Was able to limp to a flatter section. Not sure the same could be said if on a steep hill with drop off like those pics. In which case one might not be able to go forward or reverse. A big camper is heavy. Make sure you have a decent jack that can lift any corner loaded and lug wrench and spare. The factory mechanical screw jacks have great lift power. More than many homeownner floor jacks. When we had the flat, a crew of atvs came out of nowhere and then went back and grabbed a 2 ton floor jack they had at their camp. It would not lift it. The factor screw jack did. A hydraulic bottle jack is next best with a wood block to keep it from sinking out of sight. I recommend carrying 1.5 foot long 2x6/2x8s and foot or so long 4x4 solid wood blocks. Works for wheel chocks, making a dip a bit less if need and can build ramp on to the 4x4 for leveling. Small shovel not a bad idea either. I agree with whom said get an older aluminum lighter lance and try it. Or just go big - Bigfoot. we love

2000 Bigfoot 10.11 TC on 3500 dually duramax
Previous - lance TC, King Of Road 5th.

tiptoptune

Breckenridge Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

forgot to mention - quality brand name tires are worth the cost over cheaper brands.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Long Bed vs Bigger Overhang - off - roading
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.