RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Wind!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

2112 wrote:

Why is there so much hate on this forum now? Settle down people!

Agreed.

Brandon. You wore out your welcome. You're done in this thread.

If you can't play nice, you get the penalty box.

Don't post in this thread again.

Geez, I musta missed something...

Cover back on. Major week long weather system here. Got home, not raining, get the soaked, wet, holding water cover partially roped back up onto the roof, starts pouring, awesome!
Poked one hole in it on a rain gutter...great! Got that "first scratch" out of the way...
Took like 20 minutes to get it all straightened out. A waterlogged 40x30 "tarp" doesn't move around very well....
Highly recommend installing in the dry! LOL

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

I think covers cause more damage than they protect against.

100% agree! I would never use one. The guy I bought my boat from had a nice CamperCanvas added and covered it for the Winter. Spring time cane and he had LOTS of chafing and was very upset.

Grit, comments are not directed towards you. Just making my opinion known and why.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/21 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

2112 wrote:

Why is there so much hate on this forum now? Settle down people!

Hate? Hmmm, I must be immune because I don't see any hate here.

Then it worked as intended. I deleted the offending posts.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dhull wrote:

Check this out on Amazon
Byers 15-Piece Super Snaps Box
Great for taking up any slack.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000SOLELW/ref........cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_g_668DRX34VKVJNB1ESWGA

Yes those are handy, thanks for adding to the feedback here!
I think on thes soft covers though, I would be very hesitant to use these. The tensile strength and puncture resistance of that fabric is not very high.

To this point of the fabric chafing, Have any of you experienced major gelcoat or paint damage from your typical soft RV/car covers?
This stuff is soft and look like it couldn't scratch a thing unless the cover or camper was dirty.
Woven canvas like tarp material is far more abrasive. that's why I NEVER tow our boat with the cover on, unless it's raining. And even then, I'll cover briefly if going through heavy rain then pull the cover asap.
And if it's light rain, or all day rain, I'll just deal with cleaning up the interior after the fact.

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we first bought our Destination Trailer, we decided to cover it. Our seasonal site gets a lot of wind during the summer, but the winds seemed to shift in the fall, so we took a chance. Our cover had straps that ran from the edge of the roof and hooked onto the bottom edge of the wall about every 6 feet or so and a strap on the front and rear to remove any slack.

We put the cover on in September, when we left for the season. In December, we checked on it right around Christmas. Almost every strap had frayed away part of the cover at the top of the trailer wall. We didn't have the time to really do anything about it other than to make sure the straps were still secure.

Fast forward a month and I got a text, with pictures from the campground owners, of our Trailer with the cover completely off. It actually circled the trailer. So it didn't blow off, it ripped down the middle at the top. Turns out, a tree branch just happened to fall on one of the vent covers. It poked a hole through the cover and the vent cover. During a windy storm, that hole in the cover expanded until it completely failed. Fortunately, the hole in the vent cover was in the half bath and there was no sign of water intrusion in the guest bath.

The sides of the trailer were fine. There was no chafe marks or any signs of damage. The roof, however, did have some damage. Where the straps attached at the roof, there were about 3 inch long slits in the TPO at the edge of the roof on the street side. Our trailer was 40 feet long and the cover had about 6 straps on each side. The curb side did not have any of this damage. There were 5 slits that I repaired with eternabond. There did not seem to be any water damage to the wood under the TPO and the inside was dry as well.

We did not cover it after that.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/21 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Several years ago I had my trailer shrink wrapped down to the navigation lights so I could still open the door. It worked out great and I've been reusing that same cover since. It's tight fitting and formed to all the solar and vents on the roof. The straps are tight and spaced away from the walls in a couple spots. No rubbing or damage that I've been able to find despite intense wind at times.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/21 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

^Re-useble shrink wrap? Tell me more. I thought that was one time use.

And as I think I said earlier in this post, I can think of many conditions when this cover or probably any lightweight cover wouldn’t last long. Be it UV or wind damage or both.
One has to be a little smarter than the weather.
Reminds me, I got a few more trees on the neighbors property I need to dump as soon as the leaves are down. Dropped probably 50 trees that were encroaching out of the woods back when we moved in. Few small ones that I left alone 10 years ago are now in a position that they could come down on the trailers or shop.

mdcamping

CT

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/21 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because I deal with New England Winters I will use the Rv covers. I figure if the cover helps deflect moisture it may have a benefit, also noticed the covers help keep the exterior cleaner but that's just my 2 cents. Cover is on Nov to April after that cover is off and in storage, not sure if I would want a cover on in the sumertime humidity.

I live on top of a hill with a open field across from me along with my open property. I deal with lots of wind related problems with the covers, usually ripping on the Rv corners where the rain gutters are. I'm on my 3rd cover with my present Jayco, Camping World cover lasted 2 winters, now I'm back to Adco

Mike

07 Toyota Tacoma,Double Cab, Max Towing 6,500lbs GCWR 11,100lbs
2011 Jayco X20E, Pro Series 800lb Weight Distributing Hitch
Husky Sway Bar, Prodigy Electronic Brake Control
McKesh Mirrors.

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

It's supposed to be one time use, but it's holding up well to being folded and rolled, then unfolded semi annually. The plastic is pretty heavy duty too. I had the guy install vents so I could use the trailer while the cover was on. And I'll share that I sat a peaked structure on the roof before the cover was initially installed so that snow and rain run off.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 09:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

It's supposed to be one time use, but it's holding up well to being folded and rolled, then unfolded semi annually. The plastic is pretty heavy duty too. I had the guy install vents so I could use the trailer while the cover was on. And I'll share that I sat a peaked structure on the roof before the cover was initially installed so that snow and rain run off.

Good idea!
I always thought that they were one and done and you had to un zip them with a utility knife! Must have a couple zippers or something?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.