|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> "Solar" Sub-Forum

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
PerryB67

Lanesboro, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 07:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a need for a "Solar" sub-forum. Members either have to wade through the "Tech Issues" sub-forum or the "Technology Corner" sub-forum. I doubt I'm the only one who has this issue using the Good Sam Open Roads Forum.

If others would contact RV.net perhaps we could get a "Solar" sub-forum.

Thanks,

Perry

2018 Escape 5.0
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/21 09:10am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. The other forums I'm on implemented "Solar and Generator" subforums a long time ago.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

TurnThePage

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 09:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar, generator and BATTERY subforum.

2015 Ram 1500
2004 Pioneer 18T6

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/21 09:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

Where do we post when it involves all three?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

PerryB67

Lanesboro, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 11:57am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TurnThePage wrote:

Sure, anything more specific is better than wading through the "Tech Issues" forum.

Who is the moderator, site administrator that can add that sub-forum?

Thanks,

Perry

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/21 12:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm not opposed to the idea, but it needs more thought.

This Tech Issues forums doesn't have any other sub-forums (or "categories", as they're technically called).

You can't really have a Category A though without having Categories B through X. The way the forum software works, any of the forums that allow categories don't just allow them, they actually require them. This also means there's an extra step to creating a new post, because you would need to create the topic title, pick a category, and then write the post.

So at its most basic level, to create a Solar category, we would have to have this minimum organization:

1. Solar
2. Not-Solar (or "Everything Else")

That's obviously a lame solution and wouldn't be workable. It's a bad solution just to add a Solar sub-forum.

This means that to add a Solar category, we'll need to figure out what the rest of the categories should be, which is a ball of yarn I'm not looking forward to.

The more I think about this, the more I'm going to drag my feet. Not that I'm opposed to categories in principle, but my experience shows that nobody really uses them.

In the Toy Hauler forum where I got my start as a moderator, we've had six different categories for the past 10-15 years (I can't recall when we started them). The categories were kind of popular for a year or so, and then people quit using them and went back to browsing the "Show All" version and ignored the categories.

Think about how you'll browse Tech Issues and ask yourself which type of visitor you'll be:

1. "Man oh man do I love me some Solar posts. I love Solar and hate everything else, so I'll only look at the Solar sub-forum."

2. "Man oh man do I hate me some Solar posts. I hate Solar and love everything else, so I'll click through each of the other sub-forums to read those posts and skip Solar."

3. "Don't care. Seriously don't care. I'll never click into any of the sub-forums because it's a waste of my time. It's easy enough to look at the 'Show All' list and see which threads seem interesting enough for me to open and read."

You get the picture. The value of the sub-forums/categories, in my opinion, is negligible and they're actually more trouble than they're worth.

But by all means, please keep the conversation going. If there's enough demand for it and if y'all can propose enough meaningful Category topics, then we'll make the change.

The only other caveat is that this forum software is so old and busted that there's no guarantee that we'll even be able to make this particular dream come true. But please share your thoughts. Even though I'm personally biased against it, I'm still all ears.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/26/21 12:11pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PerryB67 wrote:

Sure, anything more specific is better than wading through the "Tech Issues" forum.

Who is the moderator, site administrator that can add that sub-forum?

Thanks,

Perry

Is it really that bad? Show me on the doll where the rest of the topics hurt you. [emoticon]

Sorry. Just giving you a hard time. But still, I'm trying to figure out where the pain really comes to play. Which of the other topics are so annoying. And are they really annoying enough to make it worthwhile to have to browse through individual categories to avoid the ones that bug you?

Do me a favor, if you will. Check out one of the other forums here that use Categories and tell me how the experience works for you. Check out Class A or one of the other ones and let me know if it's pleasant to you to browse that way or if it's more annoying than you'd think.

Obviously, I already know the answer for myself, but that doesn't mean you'll have the same experience. Let me know your opinion after you follow that exercise for a few days. I'm honestly eager to hear what you think.

I think it's an idea that sounds better on paper than it turns out to be in real life. But my viewpoint as a moderator (and a guy who has committed to reading every single post) my habits are different than others.

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 12:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar related posts should be placed in Tech Issues. Avoid doing so in Technology Corner which will get moved to this forum. Thanks.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/26/21 01:30pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Perry,

I use the new messages to get where I want to go.

If I find something I hope is useful for others, I simply start a new thread.

Technology is for computers, mapping, and cell phones.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

NamMedevac 70

Reno

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 04:49am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just use your Find words feature in your Bing or Google browser for the word Solar when you are on the Tech or any other forums and can quickly find the topic highlighted and this saves me a lot of searching and reading time. You can expand the tech forum page to see last 6 months of post. Try it you might like it says Mikeee.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> "Solar" Sub-Forum
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.