|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> "Solar" Sub-Forum

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 07:22am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am for one,tech issues sounds like don't post unless you have an issue while a solar etc could be showing new systems/batteries etc without issues...Just related talk like you would travel trailers etc.

PerryB67

Lanesboro, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 09:44am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been dealing with a terminal family member, but have the time to post now.

For clarity, I've been a moderator on a very busy bicycle hyperactive bicycle forum and have been on forums (bulletin boards?) and since they started in the 80's and have done my share of moderation.

GoodSamClub.com is the Main Forum called Open Roads Forum.

Inside the Open Roads Forum are Categories:
Dear Marcus, Recreational Vehicles, Camping, General Forums, Technical Resources, Locations, and Other Discussions. Categories are used to separate forums and can't be posted into. Each Category has numerous sub-forums. I'm currently posting in the Tech Issues sub-forum.

Solar is real and not going away! More and more RV's are having solar installed. When not on the road 5-6 months a year our RV is parked in a seasonal site in the 250 Campground next to Lanesboro, Minnesota. We have a .8 mile walk from our condo to our seasonal site. We are the first seasonal site in our campground area, all to the east, but to the west are daily rentals.

Two years ago I had perhaps one discussion about our solar. Last year there might have been 2-4 discussions. This year I've easily had 20 or more discussions.

I'm proposing to add the sub-forum "Solar" or "Solar, Generators, and Batteries" and to go under the Technical Resources category. It would NOT be under any existing sub-forum, but a new addition to the Technical Resources category.

I hope this clarifies my first post.

dedmiston wrote:

Hey Perry - I don't see any other "Yes" votes yet. That doesn't mean it's a "no", but I don't see enough support for the idea yet.

Did you check out Class A and browse through the categories yet? What did you think? Did the format make sense for you? Do you think the benefit is worth the extra work?

I'm eager to hear your feedback.
You stated, "I don't see any other "Yes" votes yet." In post #2, before you posted the above, Second Chance stated "I agree".

In post #3, TurnThePage stated, "Solar, generator and BATTERY subforum".

Since you posted you saw no "Yes" votes, RambleOnNW said,"I like the idea of a Solar/Battery/Generator sub-forum."

And StirCrazy stated, "I would just add it as another forum under the resorses tab."

For those who enjoy playing the search game what I propose is worthless, but there are others who prefer the clarity of a separate sub-forum, such as "Solar, Generators, and Batteries".

Enjoy,

Perry

2018 Escape 5.0
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
GoPower 170 watt, and three Renogy 100 Compact watt panels, all in parallel
260 ah Soneil SiO2 batteries

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/21 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Hey Perry - I don't see any other "Yes" votes yet. That doesn't mean it's a "no", but I don't see enough support for the idea yet.

I should have been more clear. I meant that I hadn't seen any new Yes votes.

The current consensus seems to be to create one category for Solar, Generators, Batteries, etc. and then another category for everything else. I definitely couldn't support this.

If there's truly a demand for a category (and yes, that's what the sub-forums are called in the UI), then we need to come up with a workable list of other categories that aren't just "everything else".

[image]

[image]

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

PerryB67

Lanesboro, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 10:14am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

If there's truly a demand for a category (and yes, that's what the sub-forums are called in the UI), then we need to come up with a workable list of other categories that aren't just "everything else".
Yes I now see that Open Roads considers Categories to be sub-forums. I'll try and reverse my thinking.

dedmiston wrote:

The current consensus seems to be to create one category for Solar, Generators, Batteries, etc. and then another category for everything else. I definitely couldn't support this
I couldn't support what you just said either.

You would leave the categories in Technical Resources as is, and add another category "Solar, Generators, and Batteries" or add three categories: "Solar", "Generators", and "Batteries". I don't see the reason for three new categories and would prefer "Solar, Generators, and Batteries", as TurnThePage implied.

Enjoy,

Perry

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 11:16am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is generator mechanical/electrical to run/repair it and there is generator usage to charge batteries, how much VA to run a converter, etc

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 07:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

The current consensus seems to be to create one category for Solar, Generators, Batteries, etc. and then another category for everything else. I definitely couldn't support this.

what exctly is your reason you cant suport this? the extra work to moderate another forum or to add it? from a userpoint child forums are wonderful and make finding the topics you are looking for very streamlined. I look at most new post in the subforms I am interested in, and out of say 100 when the board is busy in the summer I may read 15, the rest are a waist of my time, not that there not valid posts, justy nothing that I am interested in personaly. even in Tech, where you might get 20 topics a day in the summer 5-7are on solar and or batteries. this is more posts per day than you get in a lot of other subforums and its just one little segment of that subform.

persoanly I wouldnt want to see generatores in the same forum as solar and battery as to me the purpos of solar is to not have a generator but doesnt mater... here is an idea you could even add one caled
"RV electrical" that would cover batteries, solar, generators, auto change over switches, power panels, outlets and so on but at least the info in the forum would be streamlined and related.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

PerryB67

Lanesboro, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 10/29/21 08:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just realized that "Tech Issues" has over 115,000 topics, second only to "Class A Motorhomes". That alone tells me some topics need to be in a new category. However I believe Solar will quickly become well used and should stay under "Technical Resources", rather than be a sub-category under "Tech Issues".

Another good title would be "Solar & RV Electrical".

Enjoy,

Perry

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/21 09:48am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

dedmiston wrote:

what exctly is your reason you cant suport this? the extra work to moderate another forum or to add it? from a userpoint child forums are wonderful and make finding the topics you are looking for very streamlined. I look at most new post in the subforms I am interested in, and out of say 100 when the board is busy in the summer I may read 15, the rest are a waist of my time, not that there not valid posts, justy nothing that I am interested in personaly. even in Tech, where you might get 20 topics a day in the summer 5-7are on solar and or batteries. this is more posts per day than you get in a lot of other subforums and its just one little segment of that subform.

persoanly I wouldnt want to see generatores in the same forum as solar and battery as to me the purpos of solar is to not have a generator but doesnt mater... here is an idea you could even add one caled
"RV electrical" that would cover batteries, solar, generators, auto change over switches, power panels, outlets and so on but at least the info in the forum would be streamlined and related.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Two points on this:

1) What I can't support is having just two categories: one for solar etc. and another for everything else. Honestly, this is not a good suggestion and there's no way I would support it.

2) From a usability standpoint, I don't think the categories are effective. They were popular at the beginning, and then they lost their flair. Using the Toy Hauler forum as an example, very few new posts are actually categorized and most people just drop their posts into the catch-all "Toy Haulers" category. This points to an unsuccessful feature as far as I'm concerned.

Just to be clear though, the fact that I don't support it doesn't mean it can't or won't happen. If somebody wants to make a compelling case to Admin, go for it. I'm just saying that I won't volunteer to put hours of thought or legwork into something that I don't believe would have the bean return.

If y'all are fired up about it, then let's see some better suggestions about the categories. To reiterate, having just two categories for Solar and Not-Solar is a bad idea. Let's see some better proposals if you hope to see this happen.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/21 09:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd also like to challenge you all again to spend some time perusing some of the forums that use categories.

I'd like you all to objectively spend some time in Class A and Toy Haulers (and/or any of the other forums that use categories) and see for yourself whether you love them or not. You might think it sounds like an awesome idea now, but in practice the categories aren't what any of us had hoped they would be.

Also, I don't think anyone has addressed what I brought up previously.

Quote:

Think about how you'll browse Tech Issues and ask yourself which type of visitor you'll be:

1. "Man oh man do I love me some Solar posts. I love Solar and hate everything else, so I'll only look at the Solar sub-forum."

2. "Man oh man do I hate me some Solar posts. I hate Solar and love everything else, so I'll click through each of the other sub-forums to read those posts and skip Solar."

3. "Don't care. Seriously don't care. I'll never click into any of the sub-forums because it's a waste of my time. It's easy enough to look at the 'Show All' list and see which threads seem interesting enough for me to open and read."

You get the picture. The value of the sub-forums/categories, in my opinion, is negligible and they're actually more trouble than they're worth.

I was teasing when I said to point to the doll and tell me where the other posts hurt you, but nobody has explained yet what the actual pain point is. What are we actually trying to solve? Is it really so burdensome to scroll past the posts about gas fridge ignition to get to the solar threads?

And back to the point about only having suggestions for two categories so far (Solar and Everything else)... To me this doesn't show a need for categories at all. If anything it shows we might have enough interest to create a separate Solar forum. There again though, would it just be Solar, or would it be for all topics about power (Solar, Batteries, Shore Power, and heaven forbid Generators)?

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/29/21 10:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick Update:

I floated the question to our moderation team to see if we're even technically able to implement this.

Categories were created over a decade ago (pre '08 crash) when we actually had a budget for software modifications. The forum tech has been running on autopilot for all these years, so I'm not sure if this is a change that we can enact on our own or whether we'll need to bring in the developers. If it requires dev help, then it's pretty much dead on the launchpad. We've got a long list of unfixed bugs that take precedence over enhancements.

I only bring this up because any debate on the merits of the idea are moot if we can't actually make it happen.

I'll report back with my findings.

And in fairness, my query to the team was objective and unbiased.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> "Solar" Sub-Forum
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.