RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class B - Camping Van Conversions: New class B

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...


Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2004

View Profile



Posted: 10/28/21 06:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

No, certainly no van is perfect, but save the accolades for something more deserving .... if in fact such a vehicle actually exists.

Just wait until some owners of Jeep Renegades find out what they really have is a Fiat 500X in different clothing.

You started out complaining about the Fiat engine/drivetrain - which I pointed out has been totally replaced by Ram with its engine/drivetrain from its pick-ups. So now you are morphing over to Jeeps... totally not relevant here.

As someone who has owned a Promaster for going on 4 years, who has dozens of friends who own and love theirs, I would say that I have the right to give it the accolades that it has earned for many of us RV owners.

Our usage is not the same as commercial users. We are not driving all day, every day, stop/start, and the commercial drivers are usually not the owners, so little care is taken. My Promasters have been as trouble free as my Chevy models with a much better drive and an interior large enough to stand up in and comfortably sleep sideways.

And this is what most of us want in a camper. YMMV


Mumkin
2021 Promaster 1500 188wb conversion
2019 Roadtrek Simplicity SRT (half Zion/half Simplicity)
2015 Roadtrek 170
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme


RetiredRealtorRick

St. Augustine Beach, FL

Senior Member

Joined: 04/17/2020

View Profile



Posted: 10/29/21 04:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mumkin wrote:

RetiredRealtorRick wrote:

No, certainly no van is perfect, but save the accolades for something more deserving .... if in fact such a vehicle actually exists.

Just wait until some owners of Jeep Renegades find out what they really have is a Fiat 500X in different clothing.

You started out complaining about the Fiat engine/drivetrain - which I pointed out has been totally replaced by Ram with its engine/drivetrain from its pick-ups. So now you are morphing over to Jeeps... totally not relevant here.

As someone who has owned a Promaster for going on 4 years, who has dozens of friends who own and love theirs, I would say that I have the right to give it the accolades that it has earned for many of us RV owners.

Our usage is not the same as commercial users. We are not driving all day, every day, stop/start, and the commercial drivers are usually not the owners, so little care is taken. My Promasters have been as trouble free as my Chevy models with a much better drive and an interior large enough to stand up in and comfortably sleep sideways.

And this is what most of us want in a camper. YMMV


Yes, it is relevant, as my initial comments were relative to Fiat-based vehicles.

Glad to hear that you and many of your friends are happy with your ProMasters.


. . . never confuse education with intelligence

Mr.Mark

Out West and Mid South

Senior Member

Joined: 09/24/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amazing the amount of floor plans that are available. This just might be a winner if it actually makes it to the USA!

Safe travels,
MM.


Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mr.Mark wrote:

Amazing the amount of floor plans that are available. This just might be a winner if it actually makes it to the USA!

Safe travels,
MM.


I was told by a rep that certain car dealerships will be used to sell these rvs in the USA .
Orders will be taken in January with delivery expected sometime around May or June.
The 540 model making the tour now was thru a NJ dealership. I guess we will see how many initial orders will be placed in order for company expansion with network service.

I will say that is the largest wet bath i have seen . The bath sink is huge.

The 540 seems to be a great one or two person day trip vehicle or an overnight rv to visit relatives etc. It would be great for snowbirds who own two homes and need a travel vehicle back n forth.
Longer term stays would be more challenging , however it does seem to have a fair amount of storage in and out with room for dual LP tanks. Lithium chassis battery is under drivers seat , coach lithium is under passenger side.
As said, it will be interesting to see where it goes.
If i get more info i will update.
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and input.

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2004

View Profile



Posted: 10/29/21 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

I was told by a rep that certain car dealerships will be used to sell these rvs in the USA .
Orders will be taken in January with delivery expected sometime around May or June.

Not a good idea, IMO. It has been tried now and again in the past without much success and ended as quickly as it appeared. RV salesman are often useless in explaining and selling RVs, can't imagine how badly car salesman will do. It actually appears that they are making many of the same mistakes that Hymer did trying to break into the US market. (before they bought Roadtrek to get its dealership chain)

If you encounter this rep again, try to find out how this is being done as far as platform. Full build overseas on the Ducato or put on a Ram Promaster over here.

The apparent lack of an AC will likely kill it in the US market.

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/21 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mumkin wrote:

bobndot wrote:

I was told by a rep that certain car dealerships will be used to sell these rvs in the USA .
Orders will be taken in January with delivery expected sometime around May or June.

Not a good idea, IMO. It has been tried now and again in the past without much success and ended as quickly as it appeared. RV salesman are often useless in explaining and selling RVs, can't imagine how badly car salesman will do. It actually appears that they are making many of the same mistakes that Hymer did trying to break into the US market. (before they bought Roadtrek to get its dealership chain)

If you encounter this rep again, try to find out how this is being done as far as platform. Full build overseas on the Ducato or put on a Ram Promaster over here.

The apparent lack of an AC will likely kill it in the US market.


Ditto All you said plus the $145k price on the baby model. [emoticon]
Its a limited rv for sure.

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/29/21 03:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a Fiat Ducato as per the emblems and wheel insignia. It also has A/C. A Dometic single roof unit. It will freeze you out bc its located at the foot of the overhead double 54” bed. Small 3 or 4 cu ft 12v fridge. Looks like a 9’ crank out awning. Rear camera. Unknown holding or gray capacity as of now.

FW 30 gals
Grey 23 gals.
Spare tire housed underneath
Bath has a vented ceiling fan

* This post was edited 10/29/21 03:28pm by bobndot *

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2004

View Profile



Posted: 10/29/21 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

It’s a Fiat Ducato as per the emblems and wheel insignia.

Photos are all of the European versions. One wonders if this can be direct imported and comply with US laws. I suspect not...

bobndot

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 08/21/2007

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/30/21 12:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mumkin wrote:

bobndot wrote:

It’s a Fiat Ducato as per the emblems and wheel insignia.

Photos are all of the European versions. One wonders if this can be direct imported and comply with US laws. I suspect not...


That is the prototype 540 model that's here now showing in malls , NY and California. It's probably the one from the photo and video shoots.

mumkin

Chaska, MN/Mesa, AZ

Senior Member

Joined: 07/16/2004

View Profile



Posted: 10/30/21 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bobndot wrote:

That is the prototype 540 model that's here now showing in malls , NY and California. It's probably the one from the photo and video shoots.

I would assume that rather than a prototype, it is basically what they are selling in Europe. Still doesn't answer whether it is legal to import into the US without changes to comply with US laws.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class B - Camping Van Conversi...


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.