RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: I like it!

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I like it!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Kayteg1

California > Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

any engineers here?
if you put 600 lbs of people on the outer edge of that tech, now many lbs are transferred to the cable mount on the wall? because its a 45 deg angle, does it amplify the weight on the wall?

The COG of 11' TC is about 7 feet from rear jacks (pivoting points).
So assuming camper weight 4000 lb, it would take 4000 lb of human load on the rear of the patio to start tipping it over.
Manufacturer rated it at 1500lb, so we have safety factor of >3.
As for the cable tension, it is 1500 lb x (sin of 45degree) 1.41 = 2115lb for 2 cables, assuming all people stand on the edge of the deck.
For 600 lb of people each cable tension will be 423 lb.
The site says each cable is rated at 1200lb, probably with safety factor of 3 as well.
I assumed cables are mounted at 7' distance length at height, when the shorter mount will increase cable tension, but then not likely you will have 1500 lb of people sitting on the rear edge.
Realistically I think the wall mount will be the weakest point, but they reinforced the beam there.

notsobigjoe

southeast

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 10:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mellow wrote:

A rear Deck/Porch is awesome to have with a rear door down to the beach, it gives you a place to put stuff (firewood/grill) and to be able to stop the trafficking of sand into the camper, however this design can not be left down while traveling so it severely limits the good use of a rear deck for me.

Example of a useful rear deck:
[image]

I could definitely see the advantages of having a deck especially someone like me who wants nothing to do with the outside world other than the beach and the nature in the vicinity of the beach. I will never go to the mountains again as it's been done for me. Sand flees and Sqeeters are a problem every where but The real advantage of the deck I think is the ability to just totally avoid something I've been in all day long, Nature! The dogs would also be at home on the deck with nothing to worry about. I do however see a problem with getting in the only door that's on my camper without deploying the deck. Problem? No clue. You did a really nice job on your deck but also the weight will have to factor in as I've sworn off white knuckle driving ever again. As with anything with Rv and campers, Especially truck campers is that there is always a trade off.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/27/21 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can see the benefit of a deck like this:

[image]

First, you can open your camper door and let the toddler or dog out onto the enclosed deck while you fix lunch, etc.

Second, if there was a major rainstorm and the ground is a swamp, you can still sit outside.

Third, with the raised deck, you can have a better view of the lake, ocean, etc.

Fourth, you have a covered space to store firewood, etc, while camped.

Is it something everyone wants or needs? No. But is it something that will cater only to people who "want to be in nature, without being in nature"? No.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

towpro

Compass PA

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We used to put the ramp from my 7x14 motorcycle carrier down and sit it on 2 milk crates for our camping deck. this also kept you out of the sand and by being a little off the ground with wood between yourself and ground helps fight off the evening biting bugs.
than if it starts to rain you just move into the trailer and leave the door open.

Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz.

Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range

Supercharged111

Colorado Springs, CO

View Profile

Posted: 10/27/21 03:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

towpro wrote:

We used to put the ramp from my 7x14 motorcycle carrier down and sit it on 2 milk crates for our camping deck. this also kept you out of the sand and by being a little off the ground with wood between yourself and ground helps fight off the evening biting bugs.
than if it starts to rain you just move into the trailer and leave the door open.

I used a spare wheel and a 2x6 this past summer, worked for the kids and dog.

2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually

covered wagon

USA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 11:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Side entry is great for when you want to have a bike rack on the back. Although I recently installed the Yakima Back Swing so you unlatch and pull the safety pin and the bikes swing out of the way for my rear steps.

I don't want to trade in for a side entry as I have so much custom work into my current camper, it would be hard for me to give it up.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> I like it!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.