RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Truck Campers: Will camper fit?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Will camper fit?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Newtrucker

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 11:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 2018 Ford F-250 with a 6 1/2 foot bed. Thinking of buying a nice used 1999 Lance 910. Will this fit in my truck lengthwise? Researched and some say no that center of gravity will be off. I am new to the slide in camper, have always pulled trailer

jimh425

Western MT

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 12:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, the COG will be off, but also, it is probably too heavy for your truck.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 Dbl Slide, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Air Bags, Toyo M655 225/19.5 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Old Days

Colorado

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 12:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Look at a Lance 825 that is what I had on my Ford F 250 and it was perfect weight wise.

specta

utah

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first camper I looked into buying was a 910 with a built in generator. It was the first camper I had seen with one and I wanted a camper with one built in ever since.

Nice camper.

Kenny
2011 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0L 4wd
1995 Lance 945 Onan QG 2500 LP
Regular cab. The best looking trucks.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say it's on the bubble of being too long.
That said, comparing dimensions, it will overhang the back of your truck bed 2" more than the Artic Fox "shortbed" camper, which is about 1000lbs heavier, on a Ram 2500 that was 11 years older than your truck is. (That we used for years and many others have same combo as well)
C of G is typically marked on the camper. If it's not more than maybe 6" behind the CL of the rear axle, then I wouldn't give it a second thought based on overall weight or C of G.
The one concern I "might" have is the unsupported length of camper beyond the truck bed. Although Lance made a 8'-10" long same style and same dry weight for "short bed" trucks. The 910 is 8" longer and realistically it would be suitable for a truck bed that is 4 or 5" shorter (Dodge beds were and still are 4-5" shorter than Ford shortbeds)
Bringing that difference down to 3-4" additional overhang from their shortbed capable model, tells me that most likely is NOT an issue either. However if it is, and your tailgate is flat with the truck bed, or could be, there's a good chance it would fit with the tailgate down, not removed, which would add a little more support.
These are the things you'd just need to measure, if a concern.

Weight wise, yup, you'll be over your factory rear axle rating by a smidge and your gvw likely unless maybe you have a reg cab 2wd gasser or something, . Many folks will tell you that's not acceptable, you'll be a danger to yourself and others, incur undue liability and may get sued and lose your house and go to jail if you're in an accident.
You will need rear suspension upgrades and possibly recommend wheel/tire upgrades if you have a XL stripper with 17s on it. 18s or 20s will take the weight of that camper.
Believe as much of that as you want, verify what you need to, but nothing I just researched about the length or weight would keep me from putting that camper on your truck, with confidence.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Newtrucker

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It’s a 4 door 4x4 diesel!

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 04:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well,Lance does not recommend. And,if I am reading the chart right, your 4 door(crew cab?) with diesel can carry 1,800 lbs. And,Ford says this--
Camper Package (Option Code 471) required
with F-250/F-350/F-450 Super Duty ®

Considering a 910 weighs over 2400lbs, empty. The experts can go from here.

https://www.fordfleet.com/public/2018_RV_Trailer_Towing_Guide%20(1).pdf

MT BOB

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

https://www.lancecamper.com/docs/99-brochure.pdf

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/28/21 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't do it. A 9' camper doesn't belong on a short bed truck. Your truck has minimal payload capacity. Truck campers almost always put a truck over it's GVWR unless you're putting a pop-up on a dually.
It could be made to work but you will need lots of aftermarket suspension band-aids and possible different tires and wheels. In the end it will still not ride and handle as nice as if you had that camper on a long bed dually.

Newtrucker

Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 10/28/21 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone. Unfortunately we have decided to pass on this particular purchase.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Will camper fit?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.