RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: which way?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> which way?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
bobndot

USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

btim wrote:

I am relatively new to this Toad life. I tried a dolly and found it too much of a pita, especially in freezing weather with snow on the ground. Bought a 2012 Honda Fit 5spd and set it up to flat tow. Much easier. Plus, I am cleaner and less pissed off when done. Wife and I get it done in less than 5 minutes. Towed it all over USA this past summer and now much prefer this method. Note to the wise: Do not try to do this w/o axillary braking. My Roadmaster braking system disconnected itself in the mountains one time. I could feel it immediately. That 2700# car was pushing my 14,000# E450 class C around a bit.

Grit dog wrote:

Or if you’re good with a Jeep Wrangler and no toad brakes, couple hundred bucks gets you a tow bar and some magnetic tail lights. Easy peasy.

Does the Jeep not require a base plate? I often thought it should be simple to attach a tow bar to the recovery hooks on a Jeep or other 4wd vehicle.

Think about the liability involved. You need to follow the designed procedure when towing something 4500 lbs with a 13,000 lb rv.
* You need to use a baseplate which offers multiple attachment points opposed to a set of tow hooks which are designed for a strap and winch emergency pull-out.

btim

North Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 04:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Or if you’re good with a Jeep Wrangler and no toad brakes, couple hundred bucks gets you a tow bar and some magnetic tail lights. Easy peasy.

Does the Jeep not require a base plate? I often thought it should be simple to attach a tow bar to the recovery hooks on a Jeep or other 4wd vehicle.

Think about the liability involved. You need to follow the designed procedure when towing something 4500 lbs with a 13,000 lb rv.
* You need to use a baseplate which offers multiple attachment points opposed to a set of tow hooks which are designed for a strap and winch emergency pull-out.

I agree with the need to do it properly. Not suggesting otherwise. I am asking Grit Dog if he is saying there is an alternative to disassembling the front end of a Jeep, or other vehicles, to properly connect a toad to the tow bar setup. ie.. If I were to remove the recovery hooks from a 4X4 (which connect to the frame) is there a system which connects to the frame there w/o removing most of the front end. I only ask this because his post seems to suggest this.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> which way?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.