|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Planning summer 2022 trip to Alaska Fly/Rent

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/21 08:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are planning to take a trip next summer. Think we will try Alaska. Planning to fly and rent a Class C (or A). We have traveled for years including across country in a TT, but with limited time, don't want to drive all the way from NC, maybe later. Any help and advice.

Thinking a 24'-28' rental, does longer limit anything? We are used to a 28' couples TT. Also any companies to recommend or avoid?

Itinerary, planning to fly to Anchorage, rent, stock up on groceries and travel (or sleep depending on flight times) Denali, then what??? Want to see the whales, glaciers, etc. No planes or white water, but kayak and boat trips ok.

Boondocking or campgrounds or both?

10 days RV and a couple in Anchorage or add RV days for two weeks?

how to do Denali the best? Bus trip? Take RV?

Thanks so much for advice!

happynow

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 10/31/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alaska.org has great information.
Google Alaska RV travel. You will find many blogs from RV couples and families who have traveled at different times of the season and a variety of itinerary ideas.

happynow

Steve and Carol

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/21 09:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Be advised that part of the Denali road has a rocky glacier under it which has been melting resulting in the road being closed. There may not be a quick road bypass.

To us Fairbanks was interesting but not the best and not so impressed with the North Pole city with Santa.

The Kenai area is however, fantastic and has everything you want to see/do. Go to the Homer spit and take the Jenny B across Kachemak Bay. Great sights/tours in the Seward area. The fish were running on the Kenai river and it was wall to wall fishing, no RV sites available. Great sights/tours in the Seward area. Whittier was interesting with the train tunnel that you drive on. But be very careful as they are full steam and DON’T stop. Valdez was also worthwhile.

My blog has more detail, just skip to the Alaska part.
https://2013alaska.blogspot.com/

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/21 09:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Expect the unexpected. We went to Hope for a few days. The town roads were completely blocked off and closed for a wedding. You're in Alaska, not the lower 48, continued with plan B.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 10/31/21 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With limited time the fly & rent is the way to go.

With time & distance you will not get to Anchorage till late in the day so forget Denali the first day. First day will likely be pick up RV & stock it. You might get lucky & get part way to Denali.

Denali is a big place. Been there four times now. Consider doing Teklanika CG 30 miles inside the park rather than the CGs outside the park in what is known as Glitter Gulch. Teklanika avoids about an hour uncomfortable bus ride from gate to Teklanika & an hour of had enough bus ride from Teklanika to the gate.

Figure that your last day will be spent packing up & returning the RV so as many days as you can book in between the better. It is a big state & most roads are only two lane so when there is a jam, there is a jam.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/21 05:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To us Fairbanks was interesting but not the best and not so impressed with the North Pole city with Santa.

Agree with North Pole not being that interesting but the Christmas shop there is fun. Fairbanks was a bust for us this year-they have been hit hard by COVID and a lot of things were not operating or had really reduced schedules. Websites were not accurate, either, so call ahead. Anchorage isn't the city it used to be as they've been hit fairly hard as well but does have some great shops.

For Denali I'd take a bus tour. You can only go in 13 miles without doing so and parking for RVs is limited when you get to the end. There isn't all that much on that portion of the road, either. The Kenai Peninsula and Seward will satisfy the whales/glacier issues.

Whether to spend more time in the city or exploring is up to me. I'd explore. Anchorage itself is good for a day but there are places to go not far outside the city like the reindeer or musk ox farms. If you like museums there are some there also plus the Alaska Native Heritage Center. It's a matter of what your preferences are.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Scottiemom

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 06:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do yourself a favor and order Mike and Terri Church's book, Alaskan Camping

They give all sorts of hints and suggestions. Mike is an Alaskan native and together they have traveled all over the world and write travel books. The Alaska Camping book is exceptional.

Dale

Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/21 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the input so far. any rental advice?

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/21 07:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We took a land/sea (small boat) cruise a few years back. I think it was 10 days. The way to go if you have the money but not the time.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 04:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

10 days, I'd split time between the Kenai Peninsula and taking a big lap from ANC past Denali, run the Denali Hwy (unless you're following the no dirt roads rules that come with most rentals), drop down to Glenallen and on to Chitina and Mc Carthy. The high tail it back to Anc.

Alternately, if that's too much driving, Kenai Peninsula and out to Mc Carthy and back, maybe visit Valdez.

10 days isn't alot of time, but enough to see enough to make indelible memories.

And I would plan on boondocking it 100% in the interior. Little tougher to do on the Kenai Peninsula, consider campgrounds I think. One great boondocking spot in Cooper Landing is Cooper Lake. You can count on finding a spot there....don't tell anyone.
Also, Hatcher Pass is a great area, mellow drive and close to Anc. Good way to spend a half day if you have time to kill back near town.

We lived up there for a summer. I was working full time, but took one 2 week vacation and several weekends camping, and we didn't even begin to see everything. So don't bite off more than you can chew. Like going to Fbks and back will kill 2 full days traveling. And Northern AK is awesome too, but IMO not making the cut for a less than 2 week excursion.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Planning summer 2022 trip to Alaska Fly/Rent
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.