|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Planning summer 2022 trip to Alaska Fly/Rent

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/21 05:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the fly rent this June. Get a copy of Churchs' book and determine your wish list first. Since we wanted to drive the dirt roads: McCarthy, Nabesna, Denali (not the park), and Dalton, we chose a 4X4 truck camper. Now with your wish list you will know the number of days and the type of camper.

I think the bus for Denali park is hard to beat. You have 40 sets of eyes, a telescopic camera and an experienced guide with a radio talking to the other bus drivers. Plus you can spend all your time looking instead of driving.

Don't miss for us: Denali Park, Kennicott mine, and beach camping on the Kenai.

We used GoNorth for the rental. They were honest and the equipment performed well. We did have a fridge problem, they returned phone calls and tried to help. Just a burnt out 12 volt fuse, and they had a pack of fuses in the camper. I would shop based on price and availability. Churches' book has a list, plus the internet, of rental outfits.

Go and enjoy.

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 07:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You are definitely on the right track with your planning so far. In 2014 Mrs. S. and I celebrated our 40th anniversary with a similar trip: flew to Anchorage, rented a class C for 10 days, toured around, had a great time. I would do it all again in a heartbeat. We rented from ABC Motorhomes in Anchorage.

If you like reading trip reports, ours was written up here. If you read it, you'll get a lot of insights into what a trip like this can offer.

-Speak

It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

SpeakEasy

Western New York

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 07:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SpeakEasy wrote:

If you like reading trip reports, ours was written up here.

-Speak

By the way - if you do click on my link to read the trip report, it is a daily journal. At the bottom of each page is a link to the next day. The link is a rectangle with a -> on it and the title of the next day's entry

-Speak

thomas201

Eastern Panhandle WV

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/21 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quick side note, the sales tax on your rental should be much cheaper in Fairbanks than Los Anchorage. In my case the airfare was also cheaper to Fairbanks, so we flew to Fairbanks and rented there. Pays to check both.

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Most things worth doing book up a year in advance. Have you looked at availability of rentals? You might want to start there, just in case you have to start looking at 2023...

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"To us Fairbanks was interesting but not the best and not so impressed with the North Pole city with Santa.

Agree with North Pole not being that interesting but the Christmas shop there is fun. Fairbanks was a bust for us this year-they have been hit hard by COVID and a lot of things were not operating or had really reduced schedules. Websites were not accurate, either, so call ahead. Anchorage isn't the city it used to be as they've been hit fairly hard as well but does have some great shops.

For Denali I'd take a bus tour. You can only go in 13 miles without doing so and parking for RVs is limited when you get to the end. There isn't all that much on that portion of the road, either. The Kenai Peninsula and Seward will satisfy the whales/glacier issues.

Whether to spend more time in the city or exploring is up to me. I'd explore. Anchorage itself is good for a day but there are places to go not far outside the city like the reindeer or musk ox farms. If you like museums there are some there also plus the Alaska Native Heritage Center. It's a matter of what your preferences are."

I'd have to agree with all of the above and I live here. Ditto on the "check everything"...both Squarebanks and Los Anchorage have lots of impacts, including a variety of "they're blaming that on covid?" impacts, that have changed the landscape for visitor activities. For me, for a 10-day trip, I'd probably skip going North and focus on the Kenai: Glacier tours from Whittier, whale / wildlife tours from Seward. Hope and/or Whittier for hiking and local flavor. Kenai and Slodotna if you are here when the reds or silvers are running. FWIW, if it was me, I'd take the time to drive to Valdez and to drive the Denali Highway (Paxson-Cantwell) but either of those trips is at least 2 days to do, more likely 3-4 and probably not worth doing on this short trip....gives you a reason to come back.

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

packpe89

NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/21 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow, great stuff everyone!

Crowe

Merrimack, NH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/02/21 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd have to agree with all of the above and I live here. Ditto on the "check everything"...both Squarebanks and Los Anchorage have lots of impacts, including a variety of "they're blaming that on covid?" impacts, that have changed the landscape for visitor activities. For me, for a 10-day trip, I'd probably skip going North and focus on the Kenai: Glacier tours from Whittier, whale / wildlife tours from Seward. Hope and/or Whittier for hiking and local flavor. Kenai and Slodotna if you are here when the reds or silvers are running. FWIW, if it was me, I'd take the time to drive to Valdez and to drive the Denali Highway (Paxson-Cantwell) but either of those trips is at least 2 days to do, more likely 3-4 and probably not worth doing on this short trip....gives you a reason to come back.

Agree with this line of thinking. If this is not going to be a "once in a lifetime trip" then consider returning and exploring different parts. I've been 4 times (flying because I'm on the east coast), plan on going back in 2023, and still won't see everything I want to. Key to Alaska is slowing down and enjoying what the state has to offer. Sure, you can do drive-by touring and see a lot but you won't SEE a lot.

* This post was edited 11/03/21 05:52am by Crowe *

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be Douglas Adams

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/02/21 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would rent for 7 days and head to the Kenai peninsula…forget Denali. Use the other 7 days for a cruise back to Vancouver. Don’t need a balcony cabin as it can be to cold to use and you are off the boat all day…$100/day/person.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/21 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To me there are at least three distinct Alaskas. Southeast Alaska is the cruiser's Alaska, where the only access is by sea. Southern Alaska, which includes Kenai Denali, Fairbanks, basically where the paved roads are, belongs to the RVers. The rest of Alaska you had better have wings to get there.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RVing in Canada and Alaska  >  Alaska

> Planning summer 2022 trip to Alaska Fly/Rent
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RVing in Canada and Alaska

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.