|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electrical issue on 50amp service

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
WASTATELIVING

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 07:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've got a new fifth wheel on 50 amp service. Recently we have lost power to all of our outlets and both electric fire places. After checking each plug, checking to ensure no breakers are popped, all fuses are intact, and the source is good this is what I've discovered.

The power supply cord is supplying 120v on both legs. When plugged into the RV our LED light above plugs shows power. At the breaker panel however, the red leg shows 120v and the black leg shows 70v. which matches the voltage I'm getting at the outlets. This is BEFORE it even reaches the breaker. I am assuming that the issue is in the inlet plug on the wall of the RV. Either a loose wire or it just needs to be replaced. I'll be opening it up tomorrow to take a look and replace it.

Any other ideas, something I might be missing?
Thanks
-Dre

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you plugged in at home or at a CG?

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

WASTATELIVING

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 07:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Home. On a subpanel. I've checked the main panel and the sub and haven't found any issues or popped breakers there.

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 08:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WASTATELIVING wrote:

Home. On a subpanel. I've checked the main panel and the sub and haven't found any issues or popped breakers there.

When you say sub panel, what do you mean? The most common method for plugging in at home is a dogbone to plug into a 20 A outlet. Do you have an inverter? Most newer RV's have an inverter that controls the outlets.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You state Sub panel. Is this something you or an electrician installed JUST to power your RV? The CORRECT voltage on 50 amp is 120 on EACH Leg. THEN there should be 240 volts when testing between each Leg. IF NOT, you do not have a correctly wired 50 amp sub panel. usually that 70 volts means you have miswired the subpanel and do not have the correct Neutral leg connection. We are assuming that you had NO PROBLEM either at the Dealership or at a Campground with 50 amp service. You just have this problem at your home receptacle. Doug

PS, I have 42 years as a RV tech and one thing I have learned over those years is that even LICENSED ELECTRICIANS, have problems understanding 30 and 50 amp RV plugs.

WASTATELIVING

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 08:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Doug,

I said home to make it easy. We are staying at a friends home and have been for 2.5 months now. No issues what so ever until just a few nights ago. Which makes me think that its not a problem at the source. I can clarify that on the power cord I've got 120v on EACH leg.

WASTATELIVING

Washington

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

WASTATELIVING wrote:

When you say sub panel, what do you mean? The most common method for plugging in at home is a dogbone to plug into a 20 A outlet. Do you have an inverter? Most newer RV's have an inverter that controls the outlets.

By subpanel I mean that the panel we are plugged into is controlled by another breaker on the opposite side of the wall. Not my preference but I did not wire that as we are staying at a friend's place. Its seemingly correctly wired, we've been living in it for 2.5 months now without any issue. I do have an inverter and have had that set so the 120v is passing through it as it should.

Thanks

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I suspect you have an open hot wire, or a very nearly open hot wire, and are measuring the voltage with a high-impedance voltmeter (such as a typical digital multimeter) that is showing you the "phantom" voltage in the wire due to capacitive and/or inductive coupling.

"Open hot wire" could mean something as simple as a blown fuse or tripped breaker on one leg of the circuit. For breakers, they are supposed to be controlled with a two-pole breaker such that both legs are disconnected when either is overloaded, but it's not beyond the realm of believability that your friend's place is improperly set up with two single pole breakers. For fuses, the legs are independent of each other.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/01/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check all the neutral connections. A loose or open neutral can cause different voltages between legs.

Jon Vermilye My Travel Blog
My Photo & RV link blog

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/01/21 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Disconnect your RV from shore power and check every single electrical connection from the junction box your RV cord connects to the RV to the panel and every breaker.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Electrical issue on 50amp service
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.