RV.Net Open Roads Forum: is running exhaust brake all the time ok?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> is running exhaust brake all the time ok?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 03:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

NamMedevac 70 wrote:

Are they loud Jo like the 18 wheelers. I do see signs everywhere. This from a newbie.

NO, you cant hear them , the only way to know you have one engaged is feeling it slow you down......

Are you sure you have one? I can hear mine, maybe that’s why it works so well. [emoticon]

Perhaps "IF" I turned down XM-350 to a lower decibel I would in fact hear it ! [emoticon]

HAAAAA, I love that station "Red White and Booze"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/21 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dedmiston wrote:

Lwiddis wrote:

But if it turns on automatically, you’ll forget to turn it off. That’s dangerous.

No it isn't. You don't forget to turn on your headlights, turn on your wipers, and roll up your windows.

There's a difference between risk and danger.

Its dangerous for people that don't think, but I would argue that the danger is in the lack of thinking, not the exhaust brake...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Every time I see a discussion about exhaust brakes I have to wonder if there has ever been a comparison of the whoa power of like sized diesel w EB/gas with closed throttle. (I know I nearly died the first time I expected a 855 CID Cummins without Jake to hold me back as much as 427 GMC did)
Unless it can be shown the exhaust brake ******* a lot more than the throttle plate, slick roads with it on would be no more dangerous than gas engine.

Idk about any of the GM L5Ps or the newer Powerstrokes, and it feels like you’re just fishing for a response to reply to about how these “little” pickups aren’t “real” trucks like you the pro truck driver, drive.

No, I have always owned light duty and heavy duty trucks. And a good percentage of the time I had medium duty. Back when I bought my first class 8, Ford, GMC and Chevy where all selling class 8s with spark plug engines. If I could of made a living driving no more miles than the average RVer puts on their rig in a year, I would of parked a 427 GMC the day I retired.

Quote:

But I can assure you that both the aftermarket in-line brake I put on our old truck and the turbo brakes on the newer Rams have significantly more whoa power than any of my gassers, even the 10 speed that drops 3 or 4 gears when descending a hill with a trailer pushing it down the hill.

Yes, a EB works. I retro fitted 2 3306 Cats and a M11 Cumapart, and they all would slow the vehicle better than the little GMC. But if my memory/math are close, I'm comparing them to about 7 L engine.
A compression engine, speed and power is controlled by fuel flow. Unless something is added to it the only whoa is friction, air can freely flow thru. OTOH, spark fired, speed and power is controlled by controlling air flow.

Cummins12V98 wrote:

UH YEA, I towed 34k combined with my 15 down several miles 14% grade locked in 2nd gear not touching my brakes. I thinks me EB works just fine!!!

The Friday before the Monday I nearly died, I pulled up out of the pit, grossing 110,000 Lbs with the GMC in 1 and 1, (Yes, for that 1/2 mile you had to drive a stake in the ground to tell I was moving) When topped the hill, start down, shift aux to 2. When get down that 1/4 mile long grade, without touching brakes, I was doing walking speed when pulled on scale. Monday, with the Cummins, same load, climb hill in low, shift up to first at top (13 speed Road Ranger) realize I had to stand on the big pedal hard all the way down, could not stop so turned out into the parking area.

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/21 09:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I ran mine at all times for 3-4 months then noticed that my fuel economy went down around 2.5 mpg. Now it's only on when towing for going down a mountain.

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 10:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riltri wrote:

I ran mine at all times for 3-4 months then noticed that my fuel economy went down around 2.5 mpg. Now it's only on when towing for going down a mountain.

Seems highly unlikely (edit, impossible) unless you literally let it slow you down way too much going downhill and then have to throttle downhill, all the time...
Or have t set to something like "full" mode on a Ram where it kicks in everytime you let off the accelerator and you're not observant enough to drive around that function by keeping your foot on the go pedal a smidge, nor able to anticipate it's behavior and have to speed up every time to make it all the way to the stop sign!

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ford truck guy wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Jim-Linda wrote:

Have EB on Cat in FL60. Rig is 25 years old. It has BD exhaust brake that is turned off only on downhills in rolling country, EB will engage when not needed. The only drawback I can see is in city type traffic when EB engages, following vehicles are not aware of truck slowing due to no Brake light. No failures, original disk pads.

But it is a nice feature to get tailgators to back off!

Separate note, I've never checked, but the newer OEM integrated exhaust brakes, do they activate the brake lights when they kick in?
Under the right conditions one can scrub some speed pretty quickly without touching the service brakes.

I looked behind the truck when hooked to the fiver during the last night tow and did NOT see any brake lights on the truck... I can see them light up the front of the fiver compartment door.

That is always my concern as well... I kind of like my rear cap in 1, solid piece

Wihen towing heavy down a steep grade the Ford service brakes come on, if needed, to hold the speed back when cruise control is set. Without cruise set the wheel brakes will be applied at the engine red line to slow the engine down some before automatically releasing. So without cruise control set the computer does what an attentive driver should do. Additionally the Ford system uses the time the brakes are applied and the brake application pressure to calculate an approximate brake temperature. If required a warning will be flashed up to inform the driver of potentially hot brakes.

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 03:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't think the above applies to the RAM. Anyone know for a fact?

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/21 04:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Don't think the above applies to the RAM. Anyone know for a fact?

I sure haven't heard anything about brakes being applied along with the exhaust brake on the Rams .

SweetLou

La Quinta, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/05/21 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

No Idea on a Ford. On my 11 and now 15 RAM every single start I hit the Tow Haul and Exhaust Brake buttons.

I did that too thinking it helps with the longevity of the exhaust brake. My actuator went out at 90K this year.

Mine went out early also but that Has nothing to do with the mechanics of the turbo.

no but everything to do with the brake

2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/05/21 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

SweetLou wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

No Idea on a Ford. On my 11 and now 15 RAM every single start I hit the Tow Haul and Exhaust Brake buttons.

I did that too thinking it helps with the longevity of the exhaust brake. My actuator went out at 90K this year.

Your actuator went out, but the vanes didn’t clog up and stick, correct?
2 different things.
I never believed that a vgt needed to run the exhaust brake as the vanes are basically constantly moving anyway. However I was corrected and it makes sense.
When accelerating, the vanes range of motion is much less as they never “close down” to choke off the exhaust. Whereas the exh brake moves the vanes through the rest of their total range of motion because it reduces the % open much more than a base line, no boost condition.

Ram doesn’t use the vanes, it has a sliding ring that creates the back pressure.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> is running exhaust brake all the time ok?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.