RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Should I cover my tires?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should I cover my tires?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/21 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Well said GDE. Bravo!

OP, winter, in PA? I wouldn't even consider it.

Summer in AZ? My answer would be exactly opposite.

What do you recommend for Utah , kind of in between PA ,and Arizona .[emoticon]

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 09:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Well said GDE. Bravo!

OP, winter, in PA? I wouldn't even consider it.

Summer in AZ? My answer would be exactly opposite.

What do you recommend for Utah , kind of in between PA ,and Arizona .[emoticon]

Take them off, then bring them into your house and put them in a soft bed for a long winters nap? [emoticon]

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 09:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

I too use 303 on my tires , mostly to make them look good, keeping them that nice black look , not a fan of dull looking tires on any vehicle or RV .

Tires when they come fresh out of the mold are dull black, they are not shiny. Granted they will be a deep black but it will not be shiny.

They will be the blackest they can be in the mold but the second they are ejected from the mold the rubber starts aging and will go back to less than black more of a grey black color and some may even get some browning over the life of the tire whether it is in full sun or tucked in a dark, dark cave for all it's life.

The black comes from Carbon black that is added to the natural latex and the synthetic rubbers as they mix together. Carbon black is what gives the black color but it add strength to the rubber. It also can be mixed in varying quantities to achieve specific characteristics like a harder rubber for high wear or softer rubber with high grip and low wear. Natural latex is a milky white when new but as it ages turns a narly ugly brown.

Adding things like 303 is more about making it pretty looking than anything else.

Dirt and mud happen to tires, I don't sweat that and heck over the yrs have relaxed about making sure my TT is washed before a trip.. All it takes is one summers night of driving and all that hard work you did is completely covered in bugs..

I get a kick out of seeing 50-60 yr old guys pulling into a car cruise then proceed to spend the next 4hrs of their lives wiping the dust, dirt and mud off of their vehicle at the cruise [emoticon]

I pull in and show it the way life is.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 10:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you cover you car tires? They see the same sun.

Fresno Tundra Driver

Fresno,Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 10:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gdetrailer are you a retired petroleum engineer, chemist or tire manufacturer employee...?

E.Lee Galik

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/21 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. AISIN trans & 4.10 rear. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • Hooligan #3

Toys:
  • 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 11:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fresno Tundra Driver wrote:

Gdetrailer are you a retired petroleum engineer, chemist or tire manufacturer employee...?

No.

Kind of wish I did, I fell into a computer industry job.. But I did grow up helping my Dad in the oil fields of PA during my youth, my Grandad was a machinist as was my Great GrandDad (who even designed and built his own oilwell hit and miss engines) even had various patents on different oilwell related equipment.

Spent a lot of time working with my Dad learning who to repair vehicles mechanically and even sheetmetal body work.

My Dad also spent his entire work life working at a White oil refinery that is still existing today (my DW works there) making all kinds of food grade white oil based materials used in food, cosmetics and even pharmaceuticals. If you have ever used Vaseline Petroleum jelly or Chapstick and many more products that use Petrolatum, good chance that white oil based grease was refined near me..

White oil is one of the crude oil fractions leftover results from cracking raw crude oil into other usable products like gasoline, Diesel, ect.

My Dad was one very smart cookie with very little formal education as was his Dad and Grandad.. I have been blessed with the ability to pickup and learn things quickly whether by research and reading or doing things hands on.

Always have had a fascination with learning the nuts and bolts of how things are made or work whether it is electronic, mechanical or even chemical like tires (although I do not understand the math required behind the chemical thing).

If you want to learn how tires are made, there was a show called "How it's made" that featured tire building.. Fascinating to see how that is done.

Found that segment on Youtube..

HERE

Early tire building was all manual labor in dirty smelly plants, now days modern tires are down almost all by machines and robotics.. Although for the antique automobiles which are more a specialty item I suspect are more hand built than machine built.

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/21 11:08am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

Gdetrailer

PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/04/21 11:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And, that is my warning that I have overstepped my boundry limits with the mod..

[image]

dedmiston

The West

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/21 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You gotta admit there's some humor there...

Q: Are you an engineer?

A: Nah, but I watched some Discovery Channel.

[emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Should I cover my tires?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.