|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> lithium question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 09:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

time2roll wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

You can. But you won't get the same number of cycles. There are a whole bunch of hoops to jump through if that is the goal.
I am not sure I understand this statement.
Charging to maybe 95% with 13.6 volts should yield more longevity in a lithium battery.

For MAXIMUM cycles charge starting at 40% and stop charging at 90%. How do you manage that with a wfco?

your still trying to apply that old chemisty li limitations to the newer LFP requirments eh. I thought we alread edjmacated you on that. to getmaximum life you can still charge to 100% but dont go below 20% and dont excede 0.25C charge rate, with a proper charger made for LFP, or 1C discharge rate. 0.25 charge rate isnt a big deal as I doubt anyone is going to hit it unless you only have a 100 amp battery in a unit, put 300 to 400amp hours in and I dout you will ever get over 25% . even then the rated 4000 cycles (average) is based off 100% discharge and charge at 1C rates for both... Im good with 4000 cycles min..

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

S Davis wrote:

EVE LifeP04 cells are 10% to 90% for 3500 cycles, they should still have 80% capacity at that point. If so these should outlast me.

I think your missreading that a bit.. the industry standard is that the cycles they list are based off a 100% usage. they recomend 10-90% use range and that will extend your cycle life possibly up to 5000-7000 cycles, before you reach that 80% threshhold. then that 80% could be maintained for another 10 years or longer, if you treat them good.

Steve

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

S Davis wrote:

EVE LifeP04 cells are 10% to 90% for 3500 cycles, they should still have 80% capacity at that point. If so these should outlast me.

I think your missreading that a bit.. the industry standard is that the cycles they list are based off a 100% usage. they recomend 10-90% use range and that will extend your cycle life possibly up to 5000-7000 cycles, before you reach that 80% threshhold. then that 80% could be maintained for another 10 years or longer, if you treat them good.

Steve

Yep. This is why Hertz rent a car is buying 100,000 base models of an EV that uses LFP batteries. An expected battery lifetime of a million kilometres vice other chemistries. You can pretty much run LFP to zero frequently without as much worry of damage. 10 to 90 is much better though. The sacrifice is they are heavier and performance suffers a bit from the higher end models.

We are kicking around the idea of putting something like a battle born in our new little trailer that comes with 2 x 6 volt AGM’s. The cheap skate in me says live with the AGM’s and wait a few more years and the price delta to come down. Guess we’ll see.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

time2roll wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

You can. But you won't get the same number of cycles. There are a whole bunch of hoops to jump through if that is the goal.
I am not sure I understand this statement.
Charging to maybe 95% with 13.6 volts should yield more longevity in a lithium battery.

For MAXIMUM cycles charge starting at 40% and stop charging at 90%. How do you manage that with a wfco?
If you must be exact you will have a battery monitor. Nothing wrong with 10% to 90% for maximum cycles. Really not that hard to stay in that very wide middle range. If the full 100% is used periodically it will still last 3500+ cycles and that would be 10 years cycling 100% every single day.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 12:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It seems a Lithium battery is kinda like pregnancy…If you’ve never experienced charging or discharging one, it may be a bit difficult for the uninitiated to relate to - occasionally, a few imaginary red-flags tend to find resonance…

3 tons

Reisender

NA

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 tons wrote:

It seems a Lithium battery is kinda like pregnancy…If you’ve never experienced charging or discharging one, it may be a bit difficult for the uninitiated to relate to - occasionally, a few imaginary red-flags tend to find resonance…

3 tons

[emoticon].

Also just found out that the new trailer will come with a “lithium ready” converter which is new for this year. So I guess that is good. Now leaning a little more that way. Still seems a shame to remove two brand new 6 volt AGM’s. They are mounted inside under the bed just behind the axle. If I replace them with a battle born 31 I believe I’ll lose some useable amp hours so may have to go with two BB’s. Ugh. At least they will be where it’s wam. The hydronic heat appliance is in the same space. [emoticon] We’ll see how it goes.

jaycocreek

Idaho

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There fun,experimenting yesterday with solar charging on one of my LFP,I decided to only charge it to 90% with solar...The charts I have seen,show 13.4v as 90% so the solar takes it to 13.4v and cuts back to almost nothing and it still shows boost mode...The problem is even though my chart shows 13.4 as 90% my recently calibrated victron shunt shows 82.5% SOC..

So much for the charts huh...lol

Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

3 tons

NV.

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you have a charger (solar or otherwise) that puts out 14.x volts (not to exceed 14.6), with constant current and voltage, and you have the means to shut it off once charged (or shortly thereafter…), then be advised that you have a lithium charger…

3 tons

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jaycocreek wrote:

There fun,experimenting yesterday with solar charging on one of my LFP,I decided to only charge it to 90% with solar...The charts I have seen,show 13.4v as 90% so the solar takes it to 13.4v and cuts back to almost nothing and it still shows boost mode...The problem is even though my chart shows 13.4 as 90% my recently calibrated victron shunt shows 82.5% SOC..

So much for the charts huh...lol
How about note the voltage as the shunt says 90% and set the charge controller there.
13.4 may well get you to 90% but may take an extended period.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 06:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Reisender wrote:

StirCrazy wrote:

S Davis wrote:

Steve

Yep. This is why Hertz rent a car is buying 100,000 base models of an EV that uses LFP batteries. An expected battery lifetime of a million kilometres vice other chemistries. You can pretty much run LFP to zero frequently without as much worry of damage. 10 to 90 is much better though. The sacrifice is they are heavier and performance suffers a bit from the higher end models.

We are kicking around the idea of putting something like a battle born in our new little trailer that comes with 2 x 6 volt AGM’s. The cheap skate in me says live with the AGM’s and wait a few more years and the price delta to come down. Guess we’ll see.

haha AGM, up here, are more expensive that some of the new LFP on the market. and if you can hook up a four 6V battery sety up in your camper you can build your own batter setup with prismatic LFP cells which is so much cheeper. Battle born is way over priced now, there trying to hold on to the prices they set when they were only one of 3 competators in the market and I believe they all agreeded on a price range.

Steve

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> lithium question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.