|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 20# propane tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
wanderingbob

monticeeo, fla

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I believe propane tanks have a " pop out" that releases pressure . Many years ago I went around the State of Florida visiting fire depts , I taught courses in " Propane ". We traveled with a very large propane tank on a trailer . We would assemble a crowd of firefighters from several fire depts . We would place a large propane burner under the tank and light her off . The crowd would gasp and back up , waiting for the explosion ! After several minutes the pop off would blow and was usually ignited by the lower flame . The pop off flame lasted a second or two and then all was well again . As far as a twenty pound tank blowing and being thrown many feet away , well the propane may not have any thing to do with it . As said above any sealed container will blow in a fire . As any firefighter who works where there are a lot of boat fires will tell you , one of the scariest things with a yacht fire is all of the **** fire extinguishers blow up and flying thru the air !

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/21 09:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This thread reminds me of a 'Red Green' skit years ago where he loosely bolted down an empty 20lb propane tank on the rear roof of his class C so it would wobble and bounce around just to keep people from tailgating him [emoticon] Red Green was the purveyor of back-woods Canadian logic, kind of like a northern hillbilly...

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/21 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I carry a 20lb tank for my generator. I have a front storage on my 5th wheel, I put it in there or in the bed of the truck. Haven't had any problems. I do tie it down when in the truck.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 06:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

I carry a 20lb tank for my generator. I have a front storage on my 5th wheel, I put it in there or in the bed of the truck. Haven't had any problems. I do tie it down when in the truck.

I do tie mine down when it is on the bed of my truck. I put it in a milk crate and chain it to one of the loops in the side of the truck. I don't do it because I think it's going to explode. I do it because I don't want it rolling around in the back of the truck making dents. Plus, even in a minor fender bender I wouldn't want it getting launched into the air and landing on a little old lady pushing a shopping cart or something lol.

CavemanCharlie

Storden,MN

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 06:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

This thread reminds me of a 'Red Green' skit years ago where he loosely bolted down an empty 20lb propane tank on the rear roof of his class C so it would wobble and bounce around just to keep people from tailgating him [emoticon] Red Green was the purveyor of back-woods Canadian logic, kind of like a northern hillbilly...

We love that show. I don't' know if they get it nationally ?

mobeewan

Hampton, Va

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

A friend from our canoeing and camping group used to hang his 11 pound propane cylinder from the rear of his wooden truck rack he carried his canoe on so it would swing while going down the road. I commented on it and he said it was to keep the tailgators away.

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 12:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MNRon wrote:

Red Green was The Man.

He wasn't handsome, but at least he was handy...

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 06:11am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In a rear-end collision, it is very unlikely for the tank to explode, but it might become a 40 lb projectile. Might be best to have a tight mount to keep it from moving under normal driving, then a chain/cable to reduce chance of theft and keep it from flying.
IMHO, the most common dangerous why they are carried is in a SUV or Minivan. Any accident or even hard stop can have that 40 lbs flying among the passengers. Plus it is easy to think of the tank warming to the point the relief valve dumps gas into passenger compartment.
There are reasons for regulations requiring vents to any compartment or stored outside.

Bobbo

Wherever I park

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

In a rear-end collision, it is very unlikely for the tank to explode, but it might become a 40 lb projectile. Might be best to have a tight mount to keep it from moving under normal driving, then a chain/cable to reduce chance of theft and keep it from flying.
IMHO, the most common dangerous why they are carried is in a SUV or Minivan. Any accident or even hard stop can have that 40 lbs flying among the passengers. Plus it is easy to think of the tank warming to the point the relief valve dumps gas into passenger compartment.
There are reasons for regulations requiring vents to any compartment or stored outside.

The exact reasons we bought a pickup truck rather than a Suburban, Yukon, or Expedition. The storage area is a separate, ventilated (even with the topper) space.

Bobbo and Lin
2017 F-150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab w/Max Tow Package 3.5l EcoBoost V6
2017 Airstream Flying Cloud 23FB

Ray,IN

IN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/22/21 09:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingbob wrote:

I believe propane tanks have a " pop out" that releases pressure . Many years ago I went around the State of Florida visiting fire depts , I taught courses in " Propane ". We traveled with a very large propane tank on a trailer . We would assemble a crowd of firefighters from several fire depts . We would place a large propane burner under the tank and light her off . The crowd would gasp and back up , waiting for the explosion ! After several minutes the pop off would blow and was usually ignited by the lower flame . The pop off flame lasted a second or two and then all was well again . As far as a twenty pound tank blowing and being thrown many feet away , well the propane may not have any thing to do with it . As said above any sealed container will blow in a fire . As any firefighter who works where there are a lot of boat fires will tell you , one of the scariest things with a yacht fire is all of the **** fire extinguishers blow up and flying thru the air !

What you called a "pop-out" is an over-pressure plug. I too have been through the BLEVE training.
I was at one time a master firefighter, licensed by Indiana.

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> 20# propane tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.