|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> T mobile Internet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you using a mobile hotspot or smartphone. Verizon's Visible pay as you go is a better deal if using a smartphone, that includes unlimited 5G/4G mobile data with no throttling. Even my 4G iPhone can get 120-140 Mbps download speeds.

Visible also includes unlimited hotspot data limited to one device connected at a time, restricted to 5 Mbps down/up. Good enough to stream HD video, and no issues with Zoom or MS Teams meetings.

You can get Visible for $25. month if you join a Party Pay group which are available everywhere. Once you join a group, there is nothing further to do. You never engage with other members of the group, and Verizon charges you directly the $25. month rate.

Arlington, VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mayor30 wrote:

T mobile is offering 5g internet for $50 a month. That would save me about $240 a year. Has anyone tried it yet?

After re-reading your original post, are you referring to "T-Mobile 5G Home Internet"? If so, yes I been using it since it was first offered.

It's very fast if you're located within a few miles from 5G mid-band tower. I typically get between 500-700 Mbps down speeds, with unlimited data and no throttling. It's also been the most reliable mobile data connection I've had to date. Cut the cable cord over a decade ago, and haven't looked back using various other mobile data providers.

There is no charge for the T-Mobile 5G mobile/WiFi-6 router. Though you cannot take the router on the road. It's only for a fixed location. Not sure if they are still doing this, but T-Mobile was limiting the number of home internet accounts per tower when I first signed-up.

[image]

[image]

* This post was edited 11/08/21 03:22pm by 1492 *

EMD360

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/21 09:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I added the 5G T-Mobile hotspot to my account. I have the 55+ plan that had unlimited data on my phone which is a 4G/LTE device. I’ve never changed providers. I was with Voice Stream when it was merged with T-Mobile so since 1989.
The 5G modem is for the RV, it’s an Inseego brand M2000 device. On the payment plan it will cost $14 a month for 2 years. I added the lowest data plan for an extra $20 a month but it’s only 5gb. Apparently that’s high speed. The first month I used almost 9gb but I think it was mostly setup.
I have read that the data usage on the device and the website management don’t always match and the t-Mobile site does not seem to have running usage as it does for my phone.
I’m worried about trying T-Mobile for home use. Although cable seems really expensive just for high speed internet and not cable stations which we would not watch anyway. Tempting though compared to this.
[image]

2018 Minnie Winnie 25b New to us 3/2021
Former Rental Owners Club #137
2003 Itasca Spirit 22e 2009-2021

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/11/21 08:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I stopped by a T-Mobile store this week and picked up the 5G whole home system. My Verizon jetpack has 1 bar at my house so, no usable service, and my CenturyLink DSL has been intermittent and dropping off. Even when working I only get 10MBs.

I was very hopeful, but unfortunately it isn't that great for me. It only has 2 bars of service, so it is intermittent and will just stop working, running a speed test I can go from 25-30 MBs to 3 MBs in just seconds. It will fluctuate up and down all day. I think this has to do with users on the nearest tower. Not a cell expert or anything, but don't know why it works, then stops, then works again. But not reliable enough to watch a movie or even do my work. Unfortunately I think I have to go back to the DSL which in the end is more reliable and reparable if there is a problem with the line. I talked to T-Mobile and they had zero assistance help or ideas to get me a better signal or more reliable service.

Now, the other thing is the 5G Mobile hotspot. This is on sale right now for 1/2 off or $167. The service is $50 per month for 100GB of data. For me, even with 2 bars of service at my house, it is way better than my Verizon jetpack. I haven't picked one up yet but very much thinking about it as a backup and a puck I can take on the road. I think with good service it will blow the pants off the Verizon Jetpack.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 11/11/21 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A mobile hotspot should get the exact same signal in the exact same location as your Home system got. Now, if you can but an external antenna and run it up a pole and connect it to your hotspot, you might see some substantial improvement.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/12/21 07:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Slightly off topic, but for my Winegard Connect2 4G-LTE, this summer I switched to T-Mobile, got their 100 gigs for $50/month plan, which is no longer offered, but I'm grandfathered in.
I had the first sim card fail,and they replaced it. Last month we took it to Estes Park Colorado, the Mighty 5 National Parks in Utah where we had coverage. We then boondocked just south of the Grand Canyon where we had no coverage (but their map shows it does). Overall, I like it.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Autoslide
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 122 Nights
2022- 68 Nights

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are now in Alexandria, VA and have run into the worst T-Mobile we have seen anywhere in our travels. The icon shows 4G and 5G but often websites won't even open. Terrible!

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 05:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

We are now in Alexandria, VA and have run into the worst T-Mobile we have seen anywhere in our travels. The icon shows 4G and 5G but often websites won't even open. Terrible!

Try a speed test at fast.com

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 05:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To find out what? The service is terrible. No test will change that.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 11/12/21 05:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just for fun, went to Fast.com. This appears to be a fairly worthless site. It shows internet speed of 1.3Mbps but no indication of upload or download but it does confirm the crappy service considering the phone is showing a 5G icon.
I prefer Speedtest.net and testmy.net.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> T mobile Internet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.