|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best generator

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IDman wrote:

We had a Yamaha 2000 for 8-9 years and never had a nickels worth of trouble with it. Sold it to a friend and bought a new Honda 2000 (in the box). It was in the shop after our first use as the tech said it was clogged from stale gas! He said the factory puts some gas in, runs it a bit, and packs and ships them. Some sit for months before being sold. Cost me $70 or so for service as Honda would not honor the warranty.

Wish I had kept my Yamaha.

LOL. At that point I’d have wished I could clean a carburetor…..

I couldn’t say if I’ve ever bought one with stale gas in it, but I’ve probably bought a few dozen Honda gennys myself and several times that many just in my division or projects.
(Some of them last a long time. A lot of them get stolen or smashed)

I don’t recall any not starting. Not to say it doesn’t happen, but that’s a strange reason to not want it anymore.

But then again, I’d never have bought the one you did, if I had a perfectly good one still.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 10:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

If the RV is a 30 amp--then a 2800 watt generator is a great size.

Yes, it is - But it also weighs around 100 pounds.

Most of the 2000 watt models weigh under 50 pounds - which makes them a lot easier to move around.

Dry weight is 152 pounds for the Yamaha 3000 sieb.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Honda 2000i was 20 years old when I sold it this year. Always started on the first or second pull. I moved up the the Honda 3000i. One thing to always remember, no matter what you end up with is drain the gas (or add Stabil) when not in use. That Honda 2000 will run for another 20 years, easily.

aftermath

Washington State

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/06/21 01:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here is one of those areas where I do believe, you will get what you pay for. Granted, there are lots of options out there and some are more affordable than others. Does that make them a "better deal"? I purchased my Honda 2000i just about 16 years ago. I always have used premium fuel mixed with a stabilizer. I always drain it each fall and run it dry. In the spring it does take a few pulls to get it all going but after that, only a pull or two each time.

My cousin saved something like $500 when purchasing a different brand on sale at COSTCO. His lasted about a year and a half. Couldn't get it serviced and no one had parts. He went out and got a Honda and is still using it. So....in the long run....how much money did he save? I am also in favor of getting the quietest generator you can find. Decibel ratings are confusing. These are measurements of SOUND created by the energy produced by sound waves. There is a huge difference between 80 and 90 decibels. It is a logarithmic scale. Research this a bit before you make your decision.

2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/06/21 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

aftermath wrote:

My cousin saved something like $500 when purchasing a different brand on sale at COSTCO. His lasted about a year and a half. Couldn't get it serviced and no one had parts.

Yep - Some brands aren't much more than importers who buy a few CONEX boxes of generators from a factory in China, and slap their own label on the product before shipping it to customers.

I would emphasize that Champion is NOT in that category. They have an extensive parts inventory in Santa Fe Springs, CA, with many of those parts available for order online.

I've ordered parts from them several times online - they ship quick, and their prices (including shipping) are very reasonable.

Their service techs are also US-based, and are knowledgeable and helpful.

Tvov

CT

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 05:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

Tvov wrote:

Remember that a small change in "DB level" or noise level is actually big sound-wise - it sounds a lot louder.

It's actually the opposite. dB is a measure of power but to hear a difference in noise level is not linear.

I am not a sound engineer or anything like that. In my experience, just a one or two number change in "DB level" is very much noticeable.

I don't know the science behind, just what I've heard... lol!

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 07:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Decibels are not a linear measure of power, nor is our perception of loudness/volume linear. (For that matter, the amount of acoustic energy does not fall of linearly as one gets further from the source, either, but is proportional to the square of the distance.)

As a rough rule of thumb, somewhere around 10 dB or so difference is generally perceived as "twice as loud." A 3 dB difference is a little louder (despite being about twice the acoustic energy), 1 dB difference not very noticeable unless you're paying quite close attention.

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 08:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Skibane wrote:

aftermath wrote:

My cousin saved something like $500 when purchasing a different brand on sale at COSTCO. His lasted about a year and a half. Couldn't get it serviced and no one had parts.

Yep - Some brands aren't much more than importers who buy a few CONEX boxes of generators from a factory in China, and slap their own label on the product before shipping it to customers.

I would emphasize that Champion is NOT in that category. They have an extensive parts inventory in Santa Fe Springs, CA, with many of those parts available for order online.

I've ordered parts from them several times online - they ship quick, and their prices (including shipping) are very reasonable.

Their service techs are also US-based, and are knowledgeable and helpful.

This is a familiar story. While there are lots of viable options one fact remains is that Honda as a extensive dealer network that can keep your genset going.
If you are a DIY guy Champion is a viable option if you are capable of #1 diagnosing the problem and #2 fixing/tinkering with things.
Most others are a **** shoot of varialbes betwen price and reliabilty and parts availabilty.
Yes Honda is more expensive ,but if you choose price and opt for savings be sure to have your own plan for getting service.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

PamfromVA

Bedford County, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/21 08:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

our honda 3000 is 15 years old and used extensively each year with zero problems. our camping friends are now on their third generator but for some reason still cannot justify the cost of the honda.

2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Bfrnk

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I purchased a Predator 3500. It has good reviews and the db level is 57
Have a friend that recommended. I may regret not buying a Honda but I'm going to try this one. Thanks for your input

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Best generator
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.