|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Tires Lighten my Wallet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Splashers3

Oakville, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 02:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my previous 5ver, my Michelin XPS Ribs lasted 9 years. I kept them covered and applied 303 protectant quite often.

My current 5ver came with Westlake "G" rated tires, which get good reviews. The lower rated Westlakes not so much. I know alot of CC owners that have a lot of miles on their Westlakes and have no complaints.

If the bad news continues on the Vietnam made Sailuns I will probably stick with Westlake "G"s.....mine are about 3.5 yrs old.

2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There have been some posters on the Grand Design forum that have had failures with their "G" rated Westlakes. The lower rated Westlakes seem to have most of the problems, but they have occurred with the higher rated ones too, albeit not near as frequently. I've got my fingers crossed.

I loved the way my previous Sailuns were flat across the tread, unlike the ST tires that look like balloons.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/21 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

There have been some posters on the Grand Design forum that have had failures with their "G" rated Westlakes. The lower rated Westlakes seem to have most of the problems, but they have occurred with the higher rated ones too, albeit not near as frequently. I've got my fingers crossed.

I loved the way my previous Sailuns were flat across the tread, unlike the ST tires that look like balloons.

I too would consider westlakes, but I'm 4-5 years away on my sailuns , they are roughly 18 months old . I will also look seriously at the new Hankook H31's G rated .

No, Endurance will never be on my list no matter how big a cheerleader 12V is [emoticon] B&W I would consider ,and will probably recommend one to my oldest son, just depends on how big of fifth wheel he goes to. If its in the weight rating of mine ,then it will be the Andersen .

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 05:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh please tell us why “ENDURANCE will never be on my list”

What weight is on your two axles?

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 06:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am NOT a Goodyear fan, having run them on my tow vehicle for quite a few years.
That being said, I am a fan of the Endurances. I thought I would have to replace them within a year or two of buying our new Arctic Fox in April of 2018. I will have to replace them next year because they are just wearing out, and NOT because they are failing. They have well over 25,000 miles on them and after some of the roads they have been subject to, I am happy with them.

If I do have a failure with them, they will be replaced with LT tires, not ST tires. Right now, I am having a problem making the decision which way to go.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/09/21 08:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins 2014 wrote:

"B&W I would consider ,and will probably recommend one to my oldest son, just depends on how big of fifth wheel he goes to. If its in the weight rating of mine ,then it will be the Andersen".

Great choice on that B&W 3300! It will be a nice addition to his new Ford! It's only 150 lbs. Two pieces 75 head, 78 base.

Never say never on those Endurance.[emoticon] I am needing tires myself, and they are a consideration for sure. I've had good luck with the Providers, that came on mine.

Jerry

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 08:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Worn out tires at 25,000 miles is unacceptable IMO.

JKJavelin

Milwaukee, WI

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/21 05:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Worn out tires at 25,000 miles is unacceptable IMO.

The reason that they only last for 25,000 miles is that they only start with 1/4" of tread. They look half worn out when they're brand new.
I currently have Endurance and am about to look into Hercules ST tires.
JK

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Cummins 6.7
2016 Open Range RF316RLS
Titan Disc Brakes
Trailair pinbox
Morryde SRE-4000 w/ wetbolt kit
Demco Hijacker Autoslide 18k
570 watts of Solar

2017- 21 Nights
2018- 75 Nights
2019- 138 Nights
2020- 72 Nights
2021- 122 Nights

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 08:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dieseltruckdriver wrote:

I am NOT a Goodyear fan, having run them on my tow vehicle for quite a few years.
That being said, I am a fan of the Endurances. I thought I would have to replace them within a year or two of buying our new Arctic Fox in April of 2018. I will have to replace them next year because they are just wearing out, and NOT because they are failing. They have well over 25,000 miles on them and after some of the roads they have been subject to, I am happy with them.

If I do have a failure with them, they will be replaced with LT tires, not ST tires. Right now, I am having a problem making the decision which way to go.

25k on a RV with another season to go making 30k or so I would be happy with that many trouble free miles. Four trouble free years is nice also.

Next Summer will be five trouble free miles on mine and at least 25k.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 10:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wouldn't settle for 25,000 on any passenger vehicle tire, why would I expect to pay for worse mileage on a trailer tire? You might settle for that, but I got 6 years and probably 25,000 miles on my Sailun tires, and they still had a ton of tread left. I would expect a superior American made tire to do at least that good, not worse.

No matter how you spin it, 25,000 miles is not acceptable for a trailer tire.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> New Tires Lighten my Wallet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.