RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: 45ft, would I be too limited?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 45ft, would I be too limited?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 09:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

We are considering a 45ft 5th wheel. North Point 382flrb, 44ft long, 13.2 height. We are also considering a Solitude 378(40 ft long, 13.5 height). Love the North Point but Solitude is 40ft and a great unit as well.

Would we be too restricted with the 45ft in particular? Is height a big concerned with these? I have had 32 ft Class Cs and 32 ft Travel trailers but not a 5th wheel yet.

We will use it 5 months out of the year during the summer to travel from Arizona along Oregon coast, Washington, Tetons, Yellowstone, Yosemite, Glacier and Banff. We have traveled this route with a Class C and 32FT TT but not a 5th wheel. We love to stay at state parks (Oregon) and National Parks but use private campsites occasionally (Glacier) when they are near parks or beach.

We move sites every 10 days or so.

When driving to destinations, we like to stay hooked up as we spent just the nights at campsites. It helps not to connect and disconnect too much when just passing thru.

MC

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 39ft toy hauler 5th wheel hitched.

I find the height (13ft 4in) to be the limiting factor more than the length of the rig.

It is 56ft overall length but the trailer axles are in the traditional RV teeter totter location - I have got out and looked and been able to back the rear of the trailer over a curb and get into a short spot from time to time.

corvettekent

Marysville, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/21 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will love pulling a 5th wheel over a bumper pull trailer. I would think you would have very limited options at National Parks.

2007.5 GMC Dually EC/LB, LMM. Banks IQ, Speed Brake, Six Gun. B&W Turnover Ball, Companion Hitch, Amp power steps. Hadley Air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT and four 6 volt batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

bukhrn

Lanexa, Va

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/21 09:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Length related, interior park roads may be more limiting than site length.
Depends greatly on where you like to camp, National and State Forests and parks generally have shorter sites with narrower roads with lower over hanging limbs.

2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
You can have my RV, when you pry my cold dead fingers from the Steering Wheel

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/21 09:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

45’ will limit you a bit in some Oregon Costal parks, that is a lot of trailer. During the summer the costal parks are reserved full most of the summer. You would need to get early reservations to get the long spots.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 09:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, I think that NP options would be limited. I usually find campgrounds near by. We love Yosemite and we have stayed inside the park before. I just don't know what campground options are nearby for a 45ft 5th wheel.

If memory serves me well, most NP we have been to, either have a few spaces or other private campsites around them. I am just wondering what experiences people have had moving around with a 45ft 5th wheel.

We won't be staying put for more than a week to 10 days. I plan ahead but these days you can easily end up in a 2-3 day stay given availability.

Any issues dry camping on National Forest with 45ft? We won't be going much further than a mile off the roads

MC

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/21 10:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Do you really need a 45 foot 5er? My stick house is only 30 feet wide. Just sayin.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 10:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For many reasons, yes, we could use the space. At times, making DW happy is worth the little extra rig :-)

I can camp in the back of my truck all day long.

MC

Terryallan

Foothills NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/07/21 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A trailer that long will in fact restrict your choice of campsites, and parks that you can visit. You will be confined to "Big Rig" only parks.

Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/07/21 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did two quick searches on recreation.gov for campgrounds near Yosemite with a 40ft vehicle length and a 45ft vehicle length.

40ft - 162 results
42ft - 116 results

I opened up a couple campgrounds and there might only be 1-3 campsites that will fit those size rigs.

I did not look at rates or type of campground (group, etc). I also did not limit search to within a set distance, so many of those campgrounds will be 80+ miles away.

So, with either rig, you're going to be limited. You're going to need to book well in advance because you won't be able to just "fit anywhere". You'll have a few more campground options at 40ft than at 45ft, but that likely won't result in a huge difference in actual campsites.

If you are OK staying at RV Parks, further out from the NP, etc, you'll have more options.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> 45ft, would I be too limited?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.