|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LiFePo battery upgrade question

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teleman,

That is a good decision. Can it be limited to 20 amps if need be? It is a far superior make.

Another reason to have a bypass circuit is for a "poor mans" boost switch. If the chassis batteries are dead, you would be able to get some amps into them from the "house" bank. Don't have it "active" when starting. The Li bms will NOT like it.

If the alternator did fail, then that bypass circuit could be used to keep the engine running a lot longer while getting to a service center. Of course the Redarc ought to be turned off to do this.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/21 07:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

. . . Can it be limited to 20 amps if need be? . . .
This could potentially be an important feature consideration. It'll be interesting to see if the 124a alternator has the headroom to handle the additional ~40a load for the long haul.

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

This could potentially be an important feature consideration. It'll be interesting to see if the 124a alternator has the headroom to handle the additional ~40a load for the long haul.

I'll have to look into it. I was originally looking at a 25A unit but that would have been inadequate for 400 watts of solo panels, which I plan to install next spring.

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 08:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Teleman,

That is a good decision. Can it be limited to 20 amps if need be? It is a far superior make.

Another reason to have a bypass circuit is for a "poor mans" boost switch. If the chassis batteries are dead, you would be able to get some amps into them from the "house" bank. Don't have it "active" when starting. The Li bms will NOT like it.

If the alternator did fail, then that bypass circuit could be used to keep the engine running a lot longer while getting to a service center. Of course the Redarc ought to be turned off to do this.

What kind of switch do you use? I take it using the house battery boost switch as is isn't recommended? I carry a jump start battery pack too.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teleman wrote:

otrfun wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

I'll have to look into it. I was originally looking at a 25A unit but that would have been inadequate for 400 watts of solo panels, which I plan to install next spring.

That would not be a switch. It would be a feature on the dc to DC charger.

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 08:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Teleman wrote:

otrfun wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

That would not be a switch. It would be a feature on the dc to DC charger.

Sorry that wasn't meant for you. Since edited.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 08:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teleman wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Teleman,

What kind of switch do you use? I take it using the house battery boost switch as is isn't recommended? I carry a jump start battery pack too.

Hi Teleman,

I use this type:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NW_786125?impressionRank=3

I like it because I store it with the "key" hanging on a string. It would be nearly impossible to turn it on by accident. Maximum load up to 300 Amp @ 24 Volt DC.

[image]

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

Teleman wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Teleman,

Hi Teleman,

I use this type:

I like it because I store it with the "key" hanging on a string. It would be nearly impossible to turn it on by accident. Maximum load up to 300 Amp @ 24 Volt DC.

[image]

OK thanks.

Teleman

Clayton, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Teleman wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Teleman wrote:

pianotuna wrote:

Teleman,

Hi Teleman,

I use this type:

[image]

OK thanks.

Do you place it between the staring battery and the charger or the charger and house battery? How did you mount it?

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Teleman,

I was able to mount the three I use near the drivers seat in the wall. It makes it quite convenient for switching while I'm trundling down the road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> LiFePo battery upgrade question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.