RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Adding extra batteries - where do I put them?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Adding extra batteries - where do I put them?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

Two 6V golf cart batteries are rated at about 220Ah. 4 would give you about 440Ah @ 12V.

You can now buy 200 Ah LiFePO4 12V batteries that are rated at 280Ah. 2 would give you 560Ah. Actually more because you can only use about 20% of a lead acid battery without damaging it while you can use about 80% of a LiFePO4 battery.

Yes, they cost a lot more money, but they take less room and have a much longer life.

Whoa, those boogers are $300-400 each!

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

Lwiddis

Anza-Borrego Desert SP area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/08/21 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A Trojan T-105 will cost you $250.00 or so, will last five years and you need two. So, to me, a Lithium at $300-$400 each that lasts 10 years is less expensive over the long haul. Provides more energy too.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agwill

enosburg falls, vt

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A small 2kw gen like a champion will cost you less than 2 more batteries. Under $500 and on sale for less than $350. That is what I did and very quiet.

al

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 02:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agwill wrote:

A small 2kw gen like a champion will cost you less than 2 more batteries. Under $500 and on sale for less than $350. That is what I did and very quiet.

Did you have one in particular? How large genny does one have to go to run a single rooftop air?

That is one of the things I miss about our MH's, the onboard genny. I paid a good bit of money for my FW, you think they would come with a genset.

jdc1

Rescue, Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 03:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ReneeG wrote:

We added additional batteries for a total of 4 and they sit in the front storage bay.

Same here. I stacked them on top of each other in battery boxes. Strapped them in nice and snug.

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

agwill wrote:

Did you have one in particular? How large genny does one have to go to run a single rooftop air?

Most 2000W-2200W generators are marginal for A/C. You need an honest 2300W-2400W. Check Westinghouse iGen 2600

stickdog

Somewhere, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We don't boondock often but we have spent 12 weeks in Alaska using generators as our source of power and have used them occasionally for a day or three in forest service and national parks.
I have two 2000 watt Powerhorse they weigh about 50lb or so with gas and oil. I'm 70+ the two balance me out, one 3000 weighs 140#. A hernia waiting to happen.
Nice thing is if you only need 2000 wt you only crank one up.
We have a residential fridge and 2 6 vt deep cell batteries.

9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 03:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Front storage bay or main storage bay are the best options to keep batteries close to inverter, the second pair of batteries can be 6 volt golfcart batteries (we buy ours at Samsclub) and using a blue sea switch allows you to run them together or separate.

Somebody will chime in about Peukert's theory/law of combining them for better discharging results, the miniscule amount of improvement overall is not really applicable for your scenario as you stated you are plugged into the power grid nightly.

I wouldn't spend a whole lot either with the fact you rarely partake if ever in extended boondocking, a set of GC2 batteries ($200 a pair on sale) will give you an extra day, hard to say how long with what needs to be powered other than your residential fridge.

I hear you, having the convenience of an onboard genny would easily erase this issue, many of the higher tier 5ers have an option from the factory, additionally I have had neighbors that have had theirs installed aftermarket when they noticed we had one on our rig.

No doubt that the fridge is consuming the lion share while underway, for best results make sure your converter has multiphase charging and is actually going into bulk mode, a common issue for some converters which leads to batteries never reaching 100% full charge.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 05:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How much solar do you have? I run 3 group 27 batteries for all but AC and with a single 325 watt solar panel, we are charged usually by 1 or 2 in the afternoon.
To run even a single AC, you will need 2800-3000 watt genny.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 10:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll,

SiO2 batteries may nearly triple the capacity as they can be used between 0 and 100%. A pair would have 200 amp-hours available. They also do not sulfate.

I chose to have 7 group 29 flooded batteries. I gave up one compartment. I beefed up the floor with 3/4 plywood, and had a brace welded in place for the floor.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Adding extra batteries - where do I put them?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.