|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Travel apps

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Bfrnk

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What are best travel apps for rving that will take you safest route for the size of your rv?

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/08/21 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bfrnk wrote:

What are best travel apps for rving that will take you safest route for the size of your rv?

I like using the Garmen Diezel. Will give you all the information you are asking for. The screen is easy to read and see.

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 05:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Waze whether I'm pulling the TT or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by "safest route for the size...". You're not pulling a 65-foot long, 20-foot wide, 20-foot tall ranch home on wheels. It's just a trailer, there's thousands of them on the road, most bigger than yours. If you see trucks on the road, you're fine.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 11/09/21 05:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No matter the device they will give you bad directions at some point so knowing the route you want to travel before you leave is most important. Beyond that, Google Maps and WAZE will give you the most currect road conditions and travel directions. They do not provide height and weight detours. I tried a trucker GPS but it would also keep us off roads where no trucks were allowed but would have been fine (and allowed) for RV's.

JonWalter

Ca

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 12:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Campendium and RVParkReviews to find places to go, and Travel planner for route planning.

I also use FlattestRoute to check grades on different routes if I'm going through mountains, or think there might be issues.

If I'm going off of a major highway I'll check the AllStays app or run the route through the CoPilot app for low bridge clearances.

* This post was edited 11/15/21 12:30am by JonWalter *

2oldman

NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anything would be better than my Garmin

jasonadams

Denver

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/22 03:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use Roadtrippers and Roadside America

best hidden spy apps for android 2020: read more

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/22 12:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have same question.
Need an OFFLINE app with FREE Voice Guidance - like free forever, without trial period.

Used to have Here We Go - still do - but they did 2 unforgivable things: 1) Suddenly upgraded the app on the day when I needed it the most, it didn't start at all on that on any later date, was just shutting down. 2) After getting to hotel with WiFi and reinstalling it again, I found that it now doesn't work without WiFi. When I have WiFi, I would rather use Waze or Google Maps - as noted, they are the best for on-line.

Sygic app is not bad - despite $33/year for Voice after 1 month trial. It saved my ars in downtown Portland Oregon when I needed to get back on Interstate 5. It showed - offline - a detailed map, my location ~1 mile from the highway (yes, close, but this town is a mess), and the route to I-5 BUT it was flipping between 2 different routes every few seconds. Without Voice you need a few minutes to look and memorize several turns, but it doesn't give you a few minutes! It's also flipping North orientation all the time, when you stand still. Now North is up, few seconds later it's down or left or right. Didn't they teach you in school that North on the map is always up? Alright, changing orientation makes sense when driving, you need to see what's ahead of you, but why it's jerking when you stand still?

So.... can anybody suggest an off-line AND free app with Voice? Covering US+Canada+Mexico. No hiking or flying, just roads.

LouLawrence

Traveling the US!

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/22 03:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Both Google Maps and WAZE work just fine OFFLINE. You just need to download your trip before you go. Even if you did not, it's highly unlikely that you have no idea where you are going when you leave so just wait until you pass in and out or cellular service and your mapping program will work perfectly.
Neither service will keep you from driving under a low bridge or across a low weight limit bridge so if you like to wander the back roads more than anything then you should buy a truckers paper map to plan your trip around these kinds of obstructions.

Almot

out there

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/22 04:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LouLawrence wrote:

Both Google Maps and WAZE work just fine OFFLINE. You just need to download your trip before you go. Even if you did not, it's highly unlikely that you have no idea where you are going when you leave so just wait until you pass in and out or cellular service and your mapping program will work perfectly.

I couldn't make Waze work without WiFi after loaded the map. Don't remember the message - I think it was "can't determine your location".
Google Maps don't load in my Nokia 1, very light software, only Maps Go Edition - main roads, no streets, max area is limited.
To use cell phone service on my Canadian phone outside Canada, roaming costs $11/day and my data plan is very limited.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Travel apps
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.