|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Travel apps

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/30/22 04:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Because I work while underway, I have to have a keyboard, so that makes my primary device a real laptop. That makes Google maps a problem. I can't get it to receive location data from a GPS. When I can make that happen, I may actually give up on Street Atlas. No matter what I have tried to learn to use, I can't get back to the full functions that were available with that.

Because are travelers and not campers. Planning the actual route of travel even for a day in advance is usually problematic. Every time I have tried to preload the maps, we have run off them before the end of the day. This is discouraging. I had hoped that when Garmin bought out Delorme that SA might have a new life.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

bennefim

Daleville, AL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/16/22 04:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I used the old travel life directory app years ago. Loved it but was discontinued.

Doug

whjco

Lexington, KY

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/21/22 05:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I use a Garmin DezlCam 785 LMT but I also drive charter buses. Some of our drivers use the Garmin that's specifically made for RVs that also allows inputting vehicle specifications. For route planning, I use Garmin Basecamp which is a free program that can be downloaded from Garmin's web site. It allows for creation of custom vehicle profiles and then you can upload your routes and favorites from Basecamp directly to the Garmin for custom navigation. If you decided to use Basecamp, I strongly recommend using Garmin Express to install map updates to both the Garmin and to the computer using Basecamp. This keeps you from the need to have your Garmin attached to your computer to use the map information as well as rapidly speeding up functionality.

Bill J., Lexington, KY
2006 Starcraft 2500RKS 25' Travel Trailer
2015 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.7 Cummins.

MarkTwain

Northern, Ca. , USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/21/22 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

whjco wrote:

I use a Garmin DezlCam 785 LMT but I also drive charter buses. Some of our drivers use the Garmin that's specifically made for RVs that also allows inputting vehicle specifications. For route planning, I use Garmin Basecamp which is a free program that can be downloaded from Garmin's web site. It allows for creation of custom vehicle profiles and then you can upload your routes and favorites from Basecamp directly to the Garmin for custom navigation. If you decided to use Basecamp, I strongly recommend using Garmin Express to install map updates to both the Garmin and to the computer using Basecamp. This keeps you from the need to have your Garmin attached to your computer to use the map information as well as rapidly speeding up functionality.

My vote is %100 for the Diesel Garmin cam785. for help with towing my 34' 5th wheel trailer for RVing 4 months a year in all states.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Technology Corner

> Travel apps
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Technology Corner

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.