RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Toilet broke loose!

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Toilet broke loose!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure why anyone would unscrew their pipe from the tank and risk a potential leak. Simply use the thin plate shown or the bolt/lags I mentioned and get er dun.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Not sure why anyone would unscrew their pipe from the tank and risk a potential leak. Simply use the thin plate shown or the bolt/lags I mentioned and get er dun.


X2 Keep it simple!





Kober

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 02/01/2003

View Profile



Posted: 11/10/21 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]

The lessons one learns when dealing with this stuff! No wonder plumbers make $75 an hour.

The distance between center of the slots where the bolts will go is 1/4 inch more than the center of the holes on the toilet. If I install this way the two bolts will lean in toward the toilet bowl and will present a weak point in the plastic. My only choice at this point appears to be to enlarge the holes on the toilet to by 1/8 inch to the outside.


2014 Coachmen Freelander 29qb, towing a trailer with my toys:
2020 Honda Talon SXS, or
2006 Royal Star Tour Deluxe
2008 Road Star 1100
PATRIOT GUARD RIDER, AMERICAN LEGION RIDER
Retired 25 years US ARMY, retired 24 years business owner

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 01:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For my home, yup, always just call a plumber. Their hourly fee is not much, compared to my time, and all the trips back/forth to home center, trying to figure out, get what I need.

My FW has a Dometic 310, which I really like! I don't know what is under it, but I do know it is bolted through the 5/8 inch floor deck, and is very solid.

Good pics! Not sure I'd want to notch that circle, which may cause it to crack at some point. Could it just simply be bolted to the floor, without a ring, or the half rings pictured previous?

Jerry

Gary45

Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

New Member

Joined: 08/14/2020

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 02:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Kober wrote:

[image]

The lessons one learns when dealing with this stuff! No wonder plumbers make $75 an hour.

The distance between center of the slots where the bolts will go is 1/4 inch more than the center of the holes on the toilet. If I install this way the two bolts will lean in toward the toilet bowl and will present a weak point in the plastic. My only choice at this point appears to be to enlarge the holes on the toilet to by 1/8 inch to the outside.


Question, did you try mounting the toilet to see how the bolts come through, this stuff is all standard, would be strange to find a toilet that is made wrong.there is usually quite a bit of play with the bolts, not a precise fit.

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 11/10/21 02:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gary45 wrote:

Kober wrote:

[image]

The lessons one learns when dealing with this stuff! No wonder plumbers make $75 an hour.

The distance between center of the slots where the bolts will go is 1/4 inch more than the center of the holes on the toilet. If I install this way the two bolts will lean in toward the toilet bowl and will present a weak point in the plastic. My only choice at this point appears to be to enlarge the holes on the toilet to by 1/8 inch to the outside.


Question, did you try mounting the toilet to see how the bolts come through, this stuff is all standard, would be strange to find a toilet that is made wrong.there is usually quite a bit of play with the bolts, not a precise fit.


Granted, there should be some slop, however, RV toilets may vary a bit from standards, I suspect that toilet may have been a replacement from the original. The replacement may have a bit different mounting hole centers which may have pushed the bolts putting pressure on the flange in the wrong places. That pressure would have then broken the flange..

If the issue is 1/8", grind the bolt area on the repair flange to allow the bolts to sit straight.

Only need 1/16" of inch on each side which is not much material to remove.

The toilet bolts should have big enough shoulders that 1/16" inch opening shouldn't be an issue.

Kober

Arizona

Senior Member

Joined: 02/01/2003

View Profile



Posted: 11/10/21 02:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

[image]
[image]
[image]

First, thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

If I ever have to do this again, I think I'll just bolt the darn thing to the floor. 3 trips to Ace and re-doing things a couple of times it's finally done.

As you can see in the pictures I mounted the repair ring over what was left of the existing flange. Big mistake. It left the toilet sitting on top of the ring instead of on the floor. Wobbly and I don't think it compressed the foam ring enough to make it leak and smell proof. I finally Dremelled the flange to where there was a tight fit with the new ring and Voila! It all came together.

I did have to dremel one4 of the holes on the toilet a bit to make sure that the bolts were perfectly vertical and not leaning to the inside due to the difference in location of the holes in regards to the repair ring.

All's well that ends well. I'm posting all this in the hopes of making life easier to the next guy this happens to.

MFL

Midwest

Senior Member

Joined: 11/28/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 03:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks great, and I'm sure you did a much better job than the RV shop flunky would have done, after waiting weeks to get it in.

Good explanations and pics, that will surely help someone else doing same!

Jerry

Gdetrailer

PA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/05/2007

View Profile



Posted: 11/10/21 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks good!

I think using the metal repair ring would be better overall, gives you 4 screws into the subfloor spread out over a larger area.

This means each screw sees half of the load when compared to using only two screw/bolts directly at the toilet mounting points. RV subfloors are not known for having a lot of strength and spreading out the load from two screws to four screws may prevent you from needing to do this again.

Would be a different story if you were dealing with a toilet in a home where you could get directly under the toilet from the underside and add extra reinforcements to the sub floor.

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So the bolt/lag screw solution I mentioned would have been the golden child as you could have placed the bolts at the proper center to center dimension to match the toilets holes.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

 > Toilet broke loose!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.