RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Place your bets now!

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Place your bets now!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 03:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

The more speeds a tranny has, the more parts to break.
Holy Cow !!! I got to run and tell my dad to sell all those trucks; the transmissions are about to grenade cause the got to many gears in them. They're all Eaton Fuller 18 speeds. And to think some of them have over 500,000 miles on them.


Don't let the cat out of the bag yet....
I'm trying to buy up all the Powerglides and every C4, C6, 727, and turbo 350 and 400 I can before everyone else finds out!

This is the future! (And Imma be rich once everyone figures out that a Powerglide is really the key to success in a new.....anything)


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 03:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

By the way, noone is placing their bets...or guessing.
Haven't heard from the stealership yet. There's still time to get in on this!

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 03:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jdc1 wrote:

The more speeds a tranny has, the more parts to break.


Although, you are correct, and the first thing my 15 year old son said after making fun of me for driving a Chevy Colorado home last night, was
"You know, dad, I bet the transmission in "my" truck lasted longer than that..." (Turbo 400)

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 03:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you actually call that a "TRUCK" with a straight face???


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 04:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

The more speeds a tranny has, the more parts to break.
Holy Cow !!! I got to run and tell my dad to sell all those trucks; the transmissions are about to grenade cause the got to many gears in them. They're all Eaton Fuller 18 speeds. And to think some of them have over 500,000 miles on them.


Are you saying that a 18 speed Roadranger does not have more moving parts than a 9,10 or 15 speed Roadranger?
A 10 speed light duty automatic in a pickup will have more parts than earlier ones. But what is more likely to be problematic is the more complicated valving and controls.

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

Moderator

Joined: 03/15/2001

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

The more speeds a tranny has, the more parts to break.


Although, you are correct, and the first thing my 15 year old son said after making fun of me for driving a Chevy Colorado home last night, was
"You know, dad, I bet the transmission in "my" truck lasted longer than that..." (Turbo 400)


I'll take your 10 sp I've a th400. I Ave 30-40k between rebuilds on the two I had. That was with 5-6k fluid changes including TC!

Marty


92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

tim1973

Georgia

New Member

Joined: 11/09/2021

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I drive at 21 f150 5.0 with the 10 speed. It has some false/bumpy shifts quite often. Only 16k on it.

ksss

Eastern Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 02/19/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had one Turbo 400 go 250K and was never touched. Didn't get 100K out of another and had to rebuild it. I don't blame the truck, I eventually go limp after listening to Lizzy, but it usually takes up the entire 4 hours, especially if I am watching her videos.


2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 11/10/21 11:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

jdc1 wrote:

The more speeds a tranny has, the more parts to break.


Although, you are correct, and the first thing my 15 year old son said after making fun of me for driving a Chevy Colorado home last night, was
"You know, dad, I bet the transmission in "my" truck lasted longer than that..." (Turbo 400)


I'll take your 10 sp I've a th400. I Ave 30-40k between rebuilds on the two I had. That was with 5-6k fluid changes including TC!

Marty


th400’s don’t break. My 86 had at least 450k and shifted like it did when I bought it at 30k.

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 11/10/21 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

(PS, at least I got almost 60k miles out of my 2016 Silverado 1/2 ton transmission...)
That implies you are hard on transmissions or the transmission was junk?

205k miles on my 4R70w


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Place your bets now!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.