|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Winter battery maintenance

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
mkenyon2

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So, my new (to me) trailer was winterized at the dealer before we picked it up. But they did leave the battery attached. I live in central PA, and it gets cold here during the winter. I tend to bring in the rechargeable tool batteries from the shed.

Should I bring in the camper battery? My bro-in-law suggested that even if doing that I hook it up to a maintainer? Thoughts?

MK out of PA and My Wifey
TV: 2011 Ford F150 SuperCrew 4WD (V6 3.5L/213)
Trailer: 2013 Heartland Trail Runner 25 SLE

We've only camped in 2 states? Quick, pack the trailer we have to CAMP!

ssthrd

Vancouver Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A charged battery will not freeze until the temp hits -80F or so. I leave mine on a maintainer and check it now and then. I have not had any issues.

2014 Keystone Laredo 292RL
2018 GMC 3500HD 6.5' box SRW Denali Duramax Andersen
DeeBee, JayBee, and Jed the Black Lab

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can do it either way, totally your choice. But you need to make sure you've disconnected the battery so you're not draining it due to parasitic draws. Many, if not most, factory battery disconnects don't completely disconnect the batter from things like radios, lights, and various other devices. A couple of weeks, or less, will give you a dead battery.

I spent $30 on a 10 watt solar maintainer since I don't have electric where I store the trailer, and didn't want to pull the battery. I've checked it a couple times and it seems to be doing the job.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Regardless of battery chemistry, I believe it should be physically disconnected. Most (all?) batteries can be stored below freezing. Lead acid and AGM can be charged below freezing.Lithium batteries should not be charged if they are below freezing !

IMHO, batteries should not be left on a maintainer continuously. Hook your maintainer to a mechanical lamp timer and charger for about 4 hrs per day.

* This post was edited 11/10/21 05:41pm by theoldwizard1 *

PA12DRVR

Back in God's Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 10:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I pull all of my batteries out of the vehicle and put the batteries inside if the vehicle (or cabin as the case may be) they're in won't be used in the winter.

Admittedly, I've got a hangar to put them in but I much prefer to swing by and check the status, plug in the trickle charger, switch what's charging, inside a warm building than doing the same checks or activities out in the cold.

At a minimum, suggest a good charge and a complete disconnect (i.e. unclamp the leads, etc).

CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

mkenyon2

Lebanon, PA

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 10:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd probably pull it inside and put it on a timer. Should I do a 1-Amp or more?

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 10:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd use a maintainer, but that's me. I use them on all batteries that sit over the winter.

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 01:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We leave our batteries in our RV over the winter, our garage is not insulated so temps are not much warmer than exterior temps. Since we have our RVs stored at our residence they are plugged in 24/7 in most cases. No need for us to purchase a separate trickle charger, our multiphase converter and inverter charger with temp compensation do a great job of keeping batteries properly charged no matter the time of year.

Another reason we keep batteries onboard while winterized is our proximity to south TX and southern AZ, we often take trips throughout the winter season. Although rig is winterized we know batteries are always topped off and ready to go in a moments notice, we simply jump in and dewinterize when we reach warmer climes. As long as batteries are fully charged when rig is winterized they should keep from freezing, we have done it both ways and have not seen an advantage with either method.

Lwiddis

Near DVNP, California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/10/21 01:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Keep your batteries charged and they won't freeze and, a bonus, the batteries will last longer if kept charged.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AMP Lithium battery. TALL flag pole. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Skibane

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Posted: 11/10/21 03:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sandia Man wrote:

We leave our batteries in our RV over the winter, our garage is not insulated so temps are not much warmer than exterior temps. Since we have our RVs stored at our residence they are plugged in 24/7 in most cases. No need for us to purchase a separate trickle charger, our multiphase converter and inverter charger with temp compensation do a great job of keeping batteries properly charged no matter the time of year.

Same here.

Most converters (and inverter-chargers) built in the last 20 years do an excellent job of maintaining the batteries.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Winter battery maintenance
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.