RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Solar Learning Question, from a previous thread

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Learning Question, from a previous thread

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 05:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi, There was a thread running, now closed, by someone requesting a Solar Subforum.

I asked a question if anybody had a link to help me learn more about Solar. The thread was closed right after that, and someone emailed me with a link.

Unfortunately, I didn't bookmark that and the email is gone.

I'm getting confused about what is needed to make a good solar system, if the person who emailed me could resend, or anyone else with a very good solar system understanding and learning link would put it up here, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks!

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 06:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Define "good solar system" for you.
What roof space for how many of how big of individual panels?
How do you camp now off-grid for how many days in a row with no shore power?
What size battery bank, battery charger, and generator?
How often do you recharge the battery bank now? Relates to daily AH use.
What time of year and what latitude?
In the open or under some shade trees?

Solar is just a way to stretch out the time between generator or shore power recharges. You can stretch out that time from every day to every second day to every few months, depending. So what are you expecting/wanting to do?

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are many variations/options but it comes down to what you want to accomplish like keep the batteries charged while the RV is stored to solar without shore power and gen. Here's a dated thread with a lot of ideas and variations of member installs. Maybe some of this will help.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28427857.cfm

Try searching say "rv solar education" etc.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 06:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK found your previous thread, I think
solar sub forum
But it seems to have died due to a lack of clarity on what to call it, and what it was supposed to cover.
For the curmudgeons;
How about an "off grid power" sub forum?
It would include solar, gennies, batteries, and whatever windmills you want to tilt towards.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 08:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OkieGene wrote:

Unfortunately, I didn't bookmark that and the email is gone.

Thanks!

That would be me.

https://freecampsites.net/adding-solar/

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/13/21 09:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

Solar is just a way to stretch out the time between generator or shore power recharges. You can stretch out that time from every day to every second day to every few months, depending. So what are you expecting/wanting to do?

I use solar to do the vast majority of battery maintenance. For me it is unlikely to be shore power that gets my bank to 100%.

Any time there are 60 watts of solar per 100 amp-hours of storage, shore power is no longer required for full recharging and equalizing a bank.

I would venture to say that shore power and generator are, in my case, used for opportunity charging. But, I do have two identical battery banks--so I can charge one while using the other.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/13/21 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Solar is just a battery charger. In good sun you get 5 maybe 6 hours of good charging.
Just need to figure out how much you need and have a battery to store it.

Link to review: https://www.mobile-solarpower.com/

And some basics: The 12 Volt Side of Life

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

where does that come from. I did three weeks in the 5th wheel this sumer, and every night before I went to bed the four 6V batteries were 100% charged. then I did two weeks in the truck camper in september in alberta so using the furnace every night. I was back to 100% around noon every day and stayed there untill it started getting dark. definatly not just for "streatching" the period between recharging with a genny. if done properly it is a totaly replacment for a generator.

as to the OP's original question there are not any good forums or such when it comes to 12V rv related solar. there are some very good sites that deal with off grid and on grid high voltage static setups. its all relitive and you can take bits and pieces from there and apply it to here.

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

Boon Docker

Mountain Foothills of Southern Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 11:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

BFL13 wrote:

where does that come from. I did three weeks in the 5th wheel this sumer, and every night before I went to bed the four 6V batteries were 100% charged. then I did two weeks in the truck camper in september in alberta so using the furnace every night. I was back to 100% around noon every day and stayed there untill it started getting dark. definatly not just for "streatching" the period between recharging with a genny. if done properly it is a totaly replacment for a generator.

as to the OP's original question there are not any good forums or such when it comes to 12V rv related solar. there are some very good sites that deal with off grid and on grid high voltage static setups. its all relitive and you can take bits and pieces from there and apply it to here.

Totally agree.

My trailer has not seen shore power for over 4 years and my pair of GC2's are alive and well after 9 years of usage.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 12:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

AH in from solar vs AH out is like

“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Learning Question, from a previous thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.