RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Solar Learning Question, from a previous thread

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Learning Question, from a previous thread

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/14/21 12:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

AH in from solar vs AH out is like

“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”
Depends on the resources and if the deficit is temporary.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 04:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did 3 weeks straight with none of the time spent plugged in. We don't conserve, we watch as much tv as my wife wants. [emoticon]

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few days like this in a row brings out the generator for us. Good to hear it never happens to anybody else! [emoticon] (That was in May up-Island )

">][image]

1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

StirCrazy

Kamloops, BC, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 06:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

A few days like this in a row brings out the generator for us. Good to hear it never happens to anybody else! [emoticon] (That was in May up-Island )

">][image]

thats a case of a improperly set up system. mind you in your defence it has probably been on there for a while and is most likely small 12V panels in parralel (if there multiple) and on a PWM controler. thats what I have on my 5th wheel, well 480 watts between three panels, but if I hit days like that in the furnace use system I can still go a week with four 6V batteries. I just stop using the inverter. what is real funny is my camper only has a 325 watt panel, but its a 24V split cell design, and I get more amp hours out of it because of the MPPT controlers ability to use it to its full ability. needless to, an upgrading the 5th wheel is in the future as I got that system installed when I bought it and didn't realy know much about solar except I wanted it.

Steve

2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK

PerryB67

Lanesboro, Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 06:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

StirCrazy wrote:

where does that come from. I did three weeks in the 5th wheel this sumer, and every night before I went to bed the four 6V batteries were 100% charged. then I did two weeks in the truck camper in september in alberta so using the furnace every night. I was back to 100% around noon every day and stayed there untill it started getting dark. definatly not just for "streatching" the period between recharging with a genny. if done properly it is a totaly replacment for a generator.

I had no problem understanding what BFL13 wrote. It depends on how long you want to be out before your batteries need charging.

StirCrazy wrote:

as to the OP's original question there are not any good forums or such when it comes to 12V rv related solar. there are some very good sites that deal with off grid and on grid high voltage static setups. its all relitive and you can take bits and pieces from there and apply it to here.
The sub-forum Vehicle Mounted Systems in the DIY Solar Power Forum blows away any information I've been able to find anywhere else. And when you add in the other sub-forums there is no comparison. DYI has sub-forums that will never be here because of this forums dated software.

Enjoy,

Perry

2018 Escape 5.0
2019 F150 Max Tow, Max Springs, 3.5 EB Quad Cab
Victron 712, Victron 100/20, Victron 100/30
GoPower 170 watt, and three Renogy 100 Compact watt panels, all in parallel
260 ah Soneil SiO2 batteries

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 06:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"thats a case of a improperly set up system"

So if the weatherman adds more days in a row like that, it's your fault for not having anticipated him by adding more panels. Got it! [emoticon]

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

"thats a case of a improperly set up system"

So if the weatherman adds more days in a row like that, it's your fault for not having anticipated him by adding more panels. Got it! [emoticon]

I am no expert. There is a limit to how long one can withstand cloudy days. However a well set up system can be designed to holdout until the sun returns when parked in an open field.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 07:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BFL13 wrote:

AH in from solar vs AH out is like

“Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six , result happiness.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery”

Good analogy.

Nice looking 5th wheel. Where are the panels?

I run out of water before I run out of power.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

BFL13

Victoria, BC

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We all know how it works in real life, kidding aside. You can have 2000w of solar with a sky like in the photo and it won't help. Once the sun comes out, you have to recover the battery bank while still running the RV. Now having more solar will help.

If you only have enough solar to get by on the mostly good days, you now can get back to doing that, but the batts are still down and sulfating so you need more than enough to get by. How can you get them back up if your roof is too small? Easy, carry a gen to do the recovery.

I did ask the OP what his plan was and said it "depends". It is all scenario. You can go camping off grid under the trees in mostly cloudy short days in January here, and solar will do nothing at all for you. It is all about how big is your battery bank for how long you are staying and recharging with the gen/charger during gen hours in the park.

In the Class C we have now, I can drive out in the open during the day and get some solar plus alternator charging to help a little. Still trivial in AH compared with usage. In the nicer half of the year the solar is much better if you can get in the open and use it.

Scenario is everything! The OP needs to answer the initial question, "What is a good system" for his scenario?" by stating the scenario. Then we can easily suggest what he can do.

OkieGene

oklahoma city

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 07:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input.

I'd like to install my own so I will know more about it, how it works and is set up, and how to fix and update as needed. I might hire some guys to get on the roof and install the panels, maybe, but I definitely want to do the rest myself.

I plan to install Solar in my new rig (Shopping now) and I also want to establish a 2nd and independent system for my Ham Radio operation. I want to be able to take my portable station out away from the rv and run it while operating ham radio, you guys who are hams will understand.

Later!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Solar Learning Question, from a previous thread
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.