|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Best sliding hitch recommendation

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 08:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hello,

What is the best sliding 5th wheel hitch out there?

2022 F350 crew cab diesel 6.5ft bed

Towing 14k 40ft 5th wheel

Side question, are these things easy to install if you have the holes in the truck?

Thank you

MC

4x4ord

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/14/21 10:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My personal opinion is that a sliding hitch is unnecessary especially with the new fivers. The nose of the newer fifth wheels is designed to allow adequate clearance while towing with a 6.5 foot bed.... I like my B&W nonsliding Companion. If I had a manual slider I would never take the time to unpin and slide it. If you feel you need a sliding hitch I would recommend an automatic slider such as the Superglide by Pullrite.

click

2021 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 02:49am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was under the impression I needed a sliding hitch when I upgraded to a FW so I bought the Superglide. What a pain in the rear. About every third or fourth time I had to remove the head from the mount to disconnect it from the pin.

I changed to a Reese manual slide. I realized with this hitch in the tow position I can maneuver over 90° without contacting the cab. I never needed a sliding hitch.

I have a 14K Superglide rusting away in the barn I need to get rid of.

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 05:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agree with 4x4ord...Many of us Ford owners are using a non-sliding hitch in our 6.9 ft beds.

Get the B&W 3300 for Ford oem factory puck system. It is a great hitch, light wt, can be adjusted ahead/back, up/down, quiet/no rattle, user friendly (what's not to like).

It easily separates to 2 pieces, and fits the pucks nicely. Your wife will have it installed in just a few minutes!

Jerry

MNRon

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 05:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I’ve used a Superglide for the last 7yrs and ~60k miles. Love it. Numerous times it’s automatically prevented me from punching out my rear window even with a “new rounded corner” 5er. Will be moving it to the 2022 F350 when I get it (ordered).

Ron & Pat
2013 Silverado 3500 Duramax SRW
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 06:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

speediq99 wrote:

Hello,

Side question, are these things easy to install if you have the holes in the truck?

Thank you

MC

I don't think Ford sells a SB F350 DRW, so you should be looking for a bigger TV, as a SB F350 SRW will only have a GVWR of 11,500# and base on your other post you have way more than a 14,000# 5er.

Grand Design Momentum 376TH, these are the specs.

UVW1 15,900 lbs
Hitch Weight 3,250 lbs
GVWR 20,000 lbs
Length 41' 3"
Height 13' 5"

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 06:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PullRite Superglide auto sliding hitch has been the gold std for many years. However where any sliding hitch is located in the bed one can still have contact with the trucks cab.
At a campground in AR I was talking with another camper about his ding in his cab even tho he had the Superglide and a chevy truck. GM has the longest C/A (cab to rear axle) so most GM owners never use a slider even if the have a manual slider.
Anywayz looking at his hitch in the bed it was set 4" in front of the trucks rear axle. That 4" brought the trailer closer to the cab on sharp turns ,especially right had turns, at a stop sign the bottom of a steep hill like many campgrounds have.
I had him look at mine that sits zero over the rear axle for max sliding capabilities. He was a newb with a truck and trailer and let the hitch installer decide where to locate the hitch in the bed.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi Russ,

I don't think I understand your message regarding the capacity of the F350 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4 SRW.

According to Ford, it has a GCWR of 30,000 and maximum loaded 5th wheel weight up to 22,000. Can you clarify?

It is not a Momentum, it is a Solitude 378 MBS.

MC

rhagfo wrote:

speediq99 wrote:

Hello,

Thank you

MC

I don't think Ford sells a SB F350 DRW, so you should be looking for a bigger TV, as a SB F350 SRW will only have a GVWR of 11,500# and base on your other post you have way more than a 14,000# 5er.

Grand Design Momentum 376TH, these are the specs.

UVW1 15,900 lbs
Hitch Weight 3,250 lbs
GVWR 20,000 lbs
Length 41' 3"
Height 13' 5"

schlep1967

Harrisburg, PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 09:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Funny how you ask about a sliding hitch and the weight police show up....
I've been using a Pullrite Superglide since 2010. I have never had a problem with it. I did make sure to read and understand the instructions that came with it. Those that don't read and understand are the ones that have problems with them.
Since I bought mine there are other options out there. If I were to be looking for another auto-slider, Pullrite would be at the top of the list but I would also be looking at what else is available.
The biggest issue I see is people not taking the time to learn how to properly back the fifth-wheel. If you are getting anywhere close to 90 degrees when backing, you either are not doing it right or you are trying to get into a spot you shouldn't be.

2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel
2009 Open Range 385RLS
Pull-Rite Super Glide

speediq99

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This makes a lot of sense.

I think I did my homework on the truck. My truck can carry up to 22k 5th wheel and I max out at 16800. That leaves me some room and I am comfortable but I don't want to be ignorant either. Dually was an option, actually cheaper that what I got. It is just too much truck for me as a daily driver and has its limitations as I learned here. Perhaps one day...

I have seen a few pics of 90 degree action and it looks extreme. While I probably won't intentionally do that w/o correcting, it is the unintentional that I want to cover.

It is still unclear whether a sliding hitch is necessary to fully avoid cab damage with a 6 3/4 bed and a new Solitude 378. I am leaning towards the Pullrite however a comment on Pullrite maintenance is throwing me off a bit.

I am buying a new hitch so if there are better options than Pullrite, this is the time to find out :-) I want something easy to maintain, easily to hitch on and off even in uneven terrain, easy on the towing and above all safe for a short bed SRW F350.

Thank you

schlep1967 wrote:

Funny how you ask about a sliding hitch and the weight police show up....
I've been using a Pullrite Superglide since 2010. I have never had a problem with it. I did make sure to read and understand the instructions that came with it. Those that don't read and understand are the ones that have problems with them.
Since I bought mine there are other options out there. If I were to be looking for another auto-slider, Pullrite would be at the top of the list but I would also be looking at what else is available.
The biggest issue I see is people not taking the time to learn how to properly back the fifth-wheel. If you are getting anywhere close to 90 degrees when backing, you either are not doing it right or you are trying to get into a spot you shouldn't be.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Best sliding hitch recommendation
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.