|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lithium battery as starter assist

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
otrfun

On The Road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 05:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pianotuna wrote:

. . . The battery management systems on Li batteries limit the output to about 100 amps (some are more some are less). The starter draws hundreds of amps . . .
Lifeblue 100ah Lifepo4's are capable of 100a continuous, 300a for for 3 seconds, and 500a for 500us (microseconds). I'm not saying you can use a lifepo4 for high surge, starter applications per se, but I believe they are capable of more surge current that some folks realize.

* This post was edited 11/15/21 05:11pm by otrfun *

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 05:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

otrfun,

Great to have those numbers! Thanks.

Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, soon to have SiO2 batteries, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

pianotuna

Regina, SK, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wa8yxm wrote:

I have a little LI battery pack.. designed specifically for jump starting. the battery is TEN that's right 10, amp hours.

Designed is the operative word. I have one that I used when I managed to hatch the battery on my generator. Nice piece of kit.

But the OP wants to use an LiFePo4 for starting. They are NOT designed with that in mind. It might work--but it might not.

It could be used to put some charge into the starter battery. But--how much and for how long?

It also may indicate that for large inverter use, one would need 3 or more LiFePo4, whereas an SiO2 could do the deed on a 3000 watt inverter, without harm to the battery.

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 07:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

“I need to use the battery combiner dash switch to start the engine.” Because of the higher voltage I would hold the boost switch down for a minute to charge the engine batteries so even though the Lithium’s BMS will only give you 100 amps, the higher voltage should make the difference.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe focus on keep ing the chassis battery charged. Trik-L-Start should work for you. Should also extend the battery life.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

ramsaymike

Bobcaygeon ON

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 03:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the feedback. As background, the RV has the Ford 6l diesel and it takes a long crank to start cold due to a 'standplug' issue if I understand it correctly. Cranking speed is critical so if the starter batteries are not fully charged a little help makes a big difference. It is not an every start thing but is does come in handy. I am disappointed with the performance of the cheap house batteries and want to replace with 1 100ah lithium but don't really want to completely lose the battery assist.

2014 Cedar Creek Cottage CRS
2007 Coachmen Concord M275 (6.0 diesel)

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 09:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When you replace the start batteries consider going AGM that run at slightly higher voltage and generally better cranking amps.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Lithium battery as starter assist
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.