RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Are OTR truckers restricted from speeding?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Are OTR truckers restricted from speeding?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
rhagfo

Portland, OR

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 03:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

In the NW, trucks still speeding and camping in the left lane... Sucks trying to get around them in heavier traffic. (not hauling myself)

I know we have a supply issue, but I see more large trucks on the road then I can remember in the past.

See a lot of ORT exceeding the truck speed limit on I84, sometimes by as much as 10 mph.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 03:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just one more example of Government beauracraps doing everything they can to control every aspect of everyones life.

wa8yxm

Davison Michigan (East of Flint)

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 04:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are several differences between Today and "yesteryear" (say 1970s)

First: Even then many trucks (And busses) had "Governors" that limited the top engine speed.. This kept them (in theory) from speeding. Those still exist.

Now today however many (most?, Nearly All?) semis are GPS tracked so the dispatcher (folks like me though I did police) know where the truck is. if it's moving, how fast and in what direction...... IF the driver is doing 70 in a 55. He gets to have a "Chat with the boss" when he gets back home.. NOT good.

Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 04:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wanderingaimlessly wrote:

Just one more example of Government beauracraps doing everything they can to control every aspect of everyones life.

And for that we thank them. Those rules were caused by events that the rules are intended to prevent. Complaints and lawlessness is committed by outlaws not law-abiding citizens and should not be tolerated by the population.

BCSnob

Middletown, MD

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 05:00pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What law requires the use of speed limiters on trucks? Based upon my research a proposed bill to require speed limiters set at 65mph has not passed. If correct, it’s not the government setting the speed limiters, but business are.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 05:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

In the NW, trucks still speeding and camping in the left lane... Sucks trying to get around them in heavier traffic. (not hauling myself)

I know we have a supply issue, but I see more large trucks on the road then I can remember in the past.

Truck in left lane passing on two lane freeway 100% legal at Truck speed limit of 60 mph when auto traffic is 70.

Now if they are in the left lane on three lane highway they are breaking the law unless passing just like you are in a passenger vehicle.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

dieseltruckdriver

Black Hills of SD

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 05:38pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

And for that we thank them. Those rules were caused by events that the rules are intended to prevent. Complaints and lawlessness is committed by outlaws not law-abiding citizens and should not be tolerated by the population.

You may thank them, but you have obviously not been in that business. I have been and got out if it because of the excessive amount of federal government oversight.

I do love living in one of the most free states in this union.

2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Thermoguy

Graham, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 05:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Thermoguy wrote:

Truck in left lane passing on two lane freeway 100% legal at Truck speed limit of 60 mph when auto traffic is 70.

Now if they are in the left lane on three lane highway they are breaking the law unless passing just like you are in a passenger vehicle.

Camping in the left lane means they stay in the left lane regardless of traffic in the right lane. This forces other drivers to pass them on the right. I know they do it because they don't want to be troubled by on ramps and people entering the freeway. But, as a person who drives a couple different trailers, if I move over to the left, I go back to the right lane as soon as I can. I try to not block faster drivers. It's easier to slow down a little in the right lane to accommodate a poor merger than it is to block traffic in the left lane. But, in reality, traffic sucks these days.

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 11/15/21 06:13pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My point was the required installation of the tattletale devices. Government sticking its nose into every aspect of everything. And if they can claim that their intrusions saved even one life, then they can justify similar intrusions into personal vehicles.
Most already have the tech installed, greedy money hungry pol's would love to turn on that cash cow. They tried with traffic cameras and automatic radar units, and people revolted but if you believe they are done, look at how they treat industries they dont like.
Pol's believe in taxing everything they dont like, and if you are not on mass transit, they dont like you.

KD4UPL

Swoope, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/15/21 06:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I drove for a small independent trucking company there was no governor on the truck; I know it would do at least 85 MPH. Later, driving for a larger company their trucks were limited to 68 MPH when using the "pedal" but would go up to 70 MPH if on cruise control. This was done to encourage the use of cruise control in an effort to save fuel I guess.
Most big company trucks are limited to 60 or 65 or whatever by the company. It's the independent guys that can usually go as fast as they like because they own the truck and have it set up the way they want it.
What stinks is when a truck limited to 68 wants to pass a truck limited to 65; it does take him a long time but there's not much he can do about it.
I haven't driven since they implemented the electronic logs. I don't think I would like it very much.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Are OTR truckers restricted from speeding?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.