RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Are OTR truckers restricted from speeding?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Are OTR truckers restricted from speeding?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev
Sponsored By:
cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 07:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

way2roll wrote:

Man, this topic went sideways.
[emoticon][emoticon]

Hey , I’m still talking about highways . [emoticon]

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 05:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

way2roll wrote:

Man, this topic went sideways.
[emoticon][emoticon]

Hey , I’m still talking about highways . [emoticon]

LOL, a funny deal involved in communication on highway construction;
I worked hauling spoils away for a company that was relocating the underground utilities before making a old 2 lane to modern 4 lane. After everything was moved, another company hired us to haul as they cut roadbed grade. Now everybody on both crews spoke American. I did have trouble understanding that strawboss from New Jersey, because people from that area talk faster than I can listen. I have done enough not much need for bossing anyway.
A few days into the grade work, I looked at where a dozer was cutting, keyed up on the Children's Band, "Hey, I think that dozer is pretty close to a power line." "CAN'TBEALLTHELINESHAVEBEENMOVED" or something. "I know he is working on the slope away from shoulder, and utilities are ran in that area" "YOUDRIVEYOURTRUCKI'LLTAKECAREOFTHERESTOFJOB" 20 minutes later, the job was shut down, had cut power to a hospital.
The next week, hauling for 3rd company, relocating the utilities, we had a break. I asked the new state inspector what cause the problem. Apparently the previous company, and previous inspector had no issue converting feet and tenths to feet and inches, but the plans where drawn in meters.
Couple a weeks later, starting back on the road grade. Before the first load, state inspector, Youdrivetruck, and a couple of fast talking suits with clean hardhats pulled up along side my truck. I could tell it was suits forcing the question when Youdrivetruck asked Howdidyouknow?

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 09:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like I said it's all about life safety!!! But of course someone would rather just call me racist instead of addressing the issue.

In an instant communication can be the difference between life and death.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 10:24am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I do care as when I explain how I want a project done and it gets done wrong when someone says they understand and in reality they don’t it gets very expensive. If I try to tell someone not to push short PCs of wood thru the table saw between the fence and blade and they loose a finger because they don’t understand that is not okay!!!

Don’t tell me “I” should learn other languages!!!

The way you put the first part, yes that is a concern. One that most of the country is somehow able to overcome all day every day.
But you didn’t get out much. Lucky you worked in the PNW.
Your philosophy wouldn’t work in the majority of the US. It would be a 100% non starter. Now, and 30 years ago.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

ajriding

st clair

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 11:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

no, for OTR truckers there is no speed limit. what kind of question is this? In SC they are generous with speeding tickets and you see cars pulled over all the time, but not trucks.
Speeding is one thing, but police can take a look at the OTR's log books and calculate their average speed for long trips based on start time to where they got pulled over andn can issue a speeding ticket based on that. Truckers sometimes keep two log books.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

I do care as when I explain how I want a project done and it gets done wrong when someone says they understand and in reality they don’t it gets very expensive. If I try to tell someone not to push short PCs of wood thru the table saw between the fence and blade and they loose a finger because they don’t understand that is not okay!!!

The way you put the first part, yes that is a concern. One that most of the country is somehow able to overcome all day every day.
Your philosophy wouldn’t work in the majority of the US. It would be a 100% non starter. Now, and 30 years ago.

True.

If I didn’t get my way I would have gone back to pounding nails.

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/19/21 06:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

True.

Yup , you’d been pounding nails , you apparently have led a sheltered life.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/19/21 07:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

cummins2014 wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

Cummins12V98 wrote:

True.

Yup , you’d been pounding nails , you apparently have led a sheltered life.

Don’t think so. I had every right to require what I did based on life safety. Y’all don’t have the balls to take a position. Remember when immigrants first desire was to learn English and be part of the American Dream???

Ever wonder why air traffic speaks one language.

pbeverly

South Carolina

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/21 04:35am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ajriding wrote:

no, for OTR truckers there is no speed limit. what kind of question is this? In SC they are generous with speeding tickets and you see cars pulled over all the time, but not trucks.
Speeding is one thing, but police can take a look at the OTR's log books and calculate their average speed for long trips based on start time to where they got pulled over andn can issue a speeding ticket based on that. Truckers sometimes keep two log books.

I live in SC and there is LITTLE traffic enforcement. Perhaps what you are seeing is local sheriff departments boosting their revenue. The SC HP does little. Couple years ago all the SE states were doing a big enforcement push. I travelled in SC, NC, TN and VA, everyone partaking but SC. Never saw a SC HP.

Ridgeway, SC

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Are OTR truckers restricted from speeding?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.