RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: A/C Issues??

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> A/C Issues??

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Measurements done with a digital thermometer set on house mode. Will invest in some reflective shades for the front window. Front of coach is primarily black so I’m sure that isn’t helping much.

Alex & Teresa

2022 Allegro Open Road
2021 Colorado 4x4

Sandia Man

Rio Rancho, NM

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 09:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like they are operating fine with temps in the 40s coming out the vents, in our class a gasser we have RVed in 100+ temps without issue, we just crank them down to the sixties and let them run until ACs have removed most of the heat trapped within the rig.

With temps in the mid 80s the front curtains and motorized blinds are enough, when temps are 95 and above we will implement our windshield sun shade that we have cut to a perfect fit, it covers entire windshield and front side windows deflecting much of the incoming heat.

Unlike homes, even the best insulated RVs will contain heat that is not as easily dissipated, cranking down AC units and keeping them active throughout the entire day and night is the only way to truly stay ahead, waiting for temps to peak before activating ACs is too late.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 10:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have the 2022 Tiffin Open Road? If so, you have a problem. A Tiffin in 85 ambient will freeze you out with 2 AC units. I would set the front at 65 degrees and the rear at 75 and then see what happens. Your Tiffin has the inside temp sensors mounted in the ceiling drivers side next to a cold air vent. 1 in the Bedroom and 1 in the living room. Also, turn the rear OFF and run the front at 65 degrees. Test after at least 1 hour. The air output in the living room should be at least 60 degree output. It will probably be in the 50 to 55 range. Your 42 and 43 are NOT correct or accurate. Your Thermometer is not designed for what you are testing. The Delta difference is 18 to 22 degrees. That means at your 42, the warm INPUT would be 62 degrees which is enough to freeze you out. So, based on my 42 years as a RV Tech (Tiffin dealer tech also), your temp measurements are not good/correct at all. Doug

PS you state digital thermometer set on house mode. NEVER heard of that type thermometer and I would not use such a appliance. Click this link for what you should use. ALSO, you CANNOT use a IR type Thermometer.

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/rob........59/robinair-thermometer/rob0/43230?pos=8

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 11:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP Listen to Doug - He has more experience and knowledge than anyone else on this board that I'm aware of.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 04:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Doug - thanks for your input. The digital thermometer I used is a Jumper digital thermometer. The “House” symbol indicates object measurement mode. It seems to be accurate with other similar type measurements. The readings I got were taken right at the vent with both a/c’s running. Although this is not perhaps the right tool to use it’s what I had and I doubt it would be 20 degrees off.

I have the mobile tech from La Mesa RV coming next Saturday to fix my reversed furnace wiring and some other things. I will have them check both a/c units while they are here. I would imagine they have a more appropriate measuring device for the application.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/16/21 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

Doug - thanks for your input. The digital thermometer I used is a Jumper digital thermometer. The “House” symbol indicates object measurement mode. It seems to be accurate with other similar type measurements. The readings I got were taken right at the vent with both a/c’s running. Although this is not perhaps the right tool to use it’s what I had and I doubt it would be 20 degrees off.

I have the mobile tech from La Mesa RV coming next Saturday to fix my reversed furnace wiring and some other things. I will have them check both a/c units while they are here. I would imagine they have a more appropriate measuring device for the application.

My google search of a Jumper Digital Thermometer indicates it is a IR/thermal type Medical thermometer. Which, I stated you CANNOT use. IR thermometers CANNOT sense AIR. They sense solids. Reversed Furnace wiring????? How did you determine that? Not what may be causing your cold problem, just want to know what your furnace problem is and how you determined it is reversed. Doug

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/21 08:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree it wasn’t the right thermometer but it measured something at those temps. It was either the vent or the duct behind the vent.

Furnace problem was simple. I turned the front furnace on and the rear one came on. The rear one turns the front one on. However they both still rely on their own respective temperature sensors. So they run on and on because the sensor in the front won’t turn the rear one off.

The front touch control turns on the front a/c and the front heat pump but the rear furnace. The rear touch control turns on the rear a/c and the front furnace.

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 08:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Alex and Tee wrote:

I agree it wasn’t the right thermometer but it measured something at those temps. It was either the vent or the duct behind the vent.

Furnace problem was simple. I turned the front furnace on and the rear one came on. The rear one turns the front one on. However they both still rely on their own respective temperature sensors. So they run on and on because the sensor in the front won’t turn the rear one off.

The front touch control turns on the front a/c and the front heat pump but the rear furnace. The rear touch control turns on the rear a/c and the front furnace.

This is a simple fix on the spyder system. Just swapping the rear and front furnace 2 wires at the spyder module. Doug

PS, SHOULD have been caught at the PDI by the selling dealer.

Alex and Tee

Jacksonville , FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/21 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A/C Update - Mobile tech came out today and checked amperage draw on the front unit and it was a little over 9. He said when it is working hard it will draw a little over 12. He measured the vent temp with a probe hooked up to his multimeter. I knew something was off as it measured ambient temp at 55.4 degrees and it was 74 in the coach. That said, it measured the cold air at 28.8 degrees, close to a 30 degree difference.

My infrared measured 74 ambient and 44 at the vent so they agreed more or less. Still no explanation as to why a 15,000 BTU unit can’t get the coach below 85 when it’s 88 outside. I’ve ordered reflective screens for the front window so we’ll see what difference they make, if any.

The tech they sent knew nothing about how to rewire the furnace controls so I will be getting another visit from someone who knows something and during the week so they can contact Tiffin. I looked at the panel in the front drivers side bay and nothing was marked “furnace”.

MountainAir05

New Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 05:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you check the inside of the ducts to ensure that the tape has not come loose and the air is spilling out above the ceiling.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> A/C Issues??
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.