RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class C Motorhomes: Which fridge would you choose?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Which fridge would you choose?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
wguss

So. California

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/21 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We replaced our working Norcold 611 refrigerator with a Vitrifrigo about 1 1/2 years ago. I was tired of worrying about keeping the rig level and since we live on somewhat of a hill, had to put the MH on ramps whenever we were loading it for a trip. We also tend to camp a lot in the mountains and often stop on a grade to photograph scenery or animals for hours. The unit uses the Danfoss compressor and is popular in the boating industry as well as RV. Even though it's the same size as our old Norcold, it has about 1 1/2 cubic feet more of space.

Vitrifrigo

pnichols

The Other California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 01:58pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The various propane powered RV absorption refrigerators (i.e. Norcold, etc.) are really great for quiet, low electricity consumption food preservation.

With one small change, they would be spectacular and about the ultimate solution for rain or shine, night and day RV food refrigeration: Suspend them inside the RV using flexible lines, in slightly larger cabinets, and with heavy duty gimbaled hanger systems that keep them constantly level.

What an invention that would be! [emoticon]

Phil, 2005 E450 Itasca Spirit 24V

glennts

Corpus Christi, Tx

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 04:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So this is what I'm going to do. I could get a Norcold N8DC delivered to a local RV shop for $1514. A 1 year warranty. In looking over other 12v alternatives none will just drop into the N641 hole and some won't get thru the door and most will need some cabinet height adjustment. Keep hearing about Danfoss compressors but any brand I can find has only a 2 year warranty on the compressor.

Started to look at energy consumption and it is almost a wash between 12v and 120v as far as watts consumed. Ya, but the inverter loss they say. In my rig solar goes thru an MPP LV2424 to the 24v LiPo4's and inverted back out as 120v to the PD distro panel.. where it would be sent out as 120V or bucked down to 12v for use by a new 12v fridge. So no matter what, inverter loss is a given... and by staying with 120v could actually be more efficient than the 12v alternative. ( That's actually a question if you have an opinion.)

So now looking at an EnergyStar rated MagicChef. Have to do some remodeling to accommodate the height but that may have been unavoidable anyhow.

Almost 1/4 the price for 3 additional cu ft and a 5 year warranty on the compressor... and it will fit thru the door.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Chef-10-1-cu-ft-Top-Freezer-Refrigerator-in-White-HMDR1000WE/302245066?MERCH=REC-_-pip_alternatives-_-313489925-_-302245066-_-N&#product-overview

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  All

> Which fridge would you choose?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.