|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Black water tank overflow

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
HighwayJunky

Crestview

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So DW and I are concerned over what happened this morning in our Itasca Ellipse 42QD. Our unit has 1-1/2 baths with the half bath having its our commode and wash basin.

The sensors on both our black and grey water tanks are questionable so we always have a little concern about our water levels.Today, when I flushed the commode in the 1/2 bath, the tank evidently being full the water backed up into the 1/2 bath water basin. Black water backed up in what I assumed was a grey water basin..

I thought both black and grey were closed systems so how could black water get into grey system??

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD
2012 Fiat Pop Toad
One wife
No pets
No complaints
No Worries (except keeping wife happy!!)
Fulltime jobhttps://www.rv.net/SharedContent/cfb/images/rolleyes.gif

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's not uncommon at all for the bathroom sink to drain into the black tank. I know mine does.

Rob - Solo Full Timer
2017 Winnebago Travato 59G
Former 2006 Mandalay 40E

wildtoad

Blythewood, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/16/21 07:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What the guy above said. Many bathroom sinks drain to the black tank.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

craig7h

Branson MO area

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/21 02:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Winnebago has two different plans for the 42qd it has to do with serial number. I picked the first one, check it out it may help

https://www.winnebago.com/Files/Files/Winnebago/Resources/Diagram/2013/13_r42qd_plumb.pdf

Itasca Meridian SE 36g
Road Master Tow Dolly

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/21 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, some rigs do plumb the bathroom sink water into the black water holding tank.

I'm thinking that your rig has a separate holding tank for the 1/2 bathroom sink & toilet, is that correct?

In our rig, all black and gray water go to their respective tanks. If the gray tank overflows, we'll see it in the shower stall. If the black tank fills up...well...you just see it when looking down into the john.

Having a Winnebago product here is definitely an advantage because the technical docs are all online, as posted by craig7h. I really like our rig, but as one who does all of my own maintenance, upkeep and upgrades on the rig, it would be REALLY NICE to have access to all of the documents like Winnebago provides.

~Rick

2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (25-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (20), 2 boys (21 & 18).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Ray,IN

IN, USA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/21 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

See my reply on irv2.com

And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you — ask what you can do for your country.John F. Kennedy 20Jan1961

Rick Jay

Greater Springfield area, MA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/21 08:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As others have said, some rigs do plumb the bathroom sink water into the black water holding tank.

I'm thinking that your rig has a separate holding tank for the 1/2 bathroom sink & toilet, is that correct?

In our rig, all black and gray water go to their respective tanks. If the gray tank overflows, we'll see it in the shower stall. If the black tank fills up...well...you just see it when looking down into the john.

Having a Winnebago product here is definitely an advantage because the technical docs are all online, as posted by craig7h. I really like our rig, but as one who does all of my own maintenance, upkeep and upgrades on the rig, it would be REALLY NICE to have access to all of the documents like Winnebago provides.

~Rick

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/21 09:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have another question for the OP;
All my life I have been told water seeks it's own level. And I have never seen a bathroom where the top of toilet is higher than bottom of sink. Even if a pipe tied the 2 together how could water flow into sink from toilet?

rdhetrick

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/21 09:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

All my life I have been told water seeks it's own level. And I have never seen a bathroom where the top of toilet is higher than bottom of sink. Even if a pipe tied the 2 together how could water flow into sink from toilet?

Can't speak for the OP, but in my case, it's not actually sewage that backs up into the sink.

I have a Tecma toilet (macerator type that pumps to the black tank).

When the tank level gets full and blocks the vent line, the next flush pressurizes the tank - the only way out for the pressure is through drain line from the sink. What actually "backs up" in mine is not black water, just the water from the sink trap. When this happens, it comes with the tank gas and smells just like the black tank.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/21 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rdhetrick wrote:

JRscooby wrote:

Can't speak for the OP, but in my case, it's not actually sewage that backs up into the sink.

I have a Tecma toilet (macerator type that pumps to the black tank).

When the tank level gets full and blocks the vent line, the next flush pressurizes the tank - the only way out for the pressure is through drain line from the sink. What actually "backs up" in mine is not black water, just the water from the sink trap. When this happens, it comes with the tank gas and smells just like the black tank.

Thank you, the pump idea makes sense. Your explanation got the smell of 4-1 out of my nose.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  Maintenance Issues & Tips

> Black water tank overflow
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.