RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Max Pressure Cold vs Hot Pressures - How Much Is Too Much

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Max Pressure Cold vs Hot Pressures - How Much Is Too Much

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/20/21 09:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I ran my old trailer with tires at the max, I would have the capacity for nearly 24,000 lbs. on the triple axle. Having weighed the trailer, I knew I had barely 15,000 lbs. on those six tires. Absolutely no reason to run max pressure, and suffer the resultant rough ride.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/20/21 10:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

If I ran my old trailer with tires at the max, I would have the capacity for nearly 24,000 lbs. on the triple axle. Having weighed the trailer, I knew I had barely 15,000 lbs. on those six tires. Absolutely no reason to run max pressure, and suffer the resultant rough ride.
Not very common from the posts I read. Most trailers have the minimum or a bit less if they can. GVWR stickers frequently recommend sidewall max for trailer tires.

Nothing wrong with adjusting based upon weight either. Still I would be 5psi over the chart not to exceed sidewall max. No harm to the tire running max psi. Could be a bouncy or harsh ride is all.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 06:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Rollochrome wrote:

Lots of good opinions here. I appreciated the feedback on this thread.

Your tire mfg "Goodyear" says this about tire pressures used on trailers; clicky link
Goodyear Tire and Rubber .... weighing RVs
Special Considerations

**Unless trying to resolve poor ride quality problems with an RV trailer, it is recommended that trailer tires be inflated to the pressure indicated on the sidewall of the tire. Trailer tires experience significant lateral (side-to-side) loads due to vehicle sway from uneven roads or passing vehicles. Using the inflation pressure engraved on the sidewall will provide optimum load carrying capacity and minimize heat build-up.**

Of course Goodyear assumes the trailer has properly matched tires/wheel for the trailer...and hasn't been over tired as some rv trailer owners have done like using a load G at 4400 lbs capacity on a trailer with 2600-2700 lb load on the tires.

* This post was edited 11/21/21 07:05am by JIMNLIN *

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/21 07:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Since a triple axle adds a lot of capacity to a trailer, I am just curious, if your previous trailer came with those tires rated to carry 24K. Did you upgrade from the OEM tires listed on the TH placard on the driver's side front?

Anyway, JIMNLIN, ^^^ and I are on the same page, when considering a RV trailer, outfitted with the proper ST tire.

Jerry

noteven

Turtle Island

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Big Fiver tires are Q rating 99 mph. I have a time getting it going that fast.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 08:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

Don't forget uneven tread wear and less stopping ability!

As I keep repeating "there is a reason for the weight/inflation charts"

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 08:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MOST RV's use the tire capacity as it's weight limits so it goes the tire should be filled to MAX psi because that is what the RV will weigh fully loaded.

GIB2

Welland

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/21/21 10:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If original tires on trailer I would start with trailer manufacturer recommendation . I would then buy a $6.00 tire depth gauge . If the outsides wear first you need more air. If the center wear first you can reduce pressure a small amount and monitor till you get your magic pressure of wearing evenly.

Cummins12V98

on the road

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 12:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If one really cares they should know what weight is actually on their tires. But most are fine not knowing and blindly inflate to MAX.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 11/21/21 05:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

fj12ryder wrote:

Since a triple axle adds a lot of capacity to a trailer, I am just curious, if your previous trailer came with those tires rated to carry 24K. Did you upgrade from the OEM tires listed on the TH placard on the driver's side front?

Anyway, JIMNLIN, ^^^ and I are on the same page, when considering a RV trailer, outfitted with the proper ST tire.

Jerry
Jerry, the Fuzion came with 235/85-16, E-rated ST tires. Which were, I believe, rated for around 3,480 lbs., so the original tires were rated for about 21,000 lbs., still over the GVWR, and waaaay over my actual weight of 15,000 lbs. I actually considered going to LT tires when I had to replace those lousy ST tires. But the Sailun tires were cheaper than any of the other LT tires at the time.

I ran the OEM ST tires at 80 psi, max sidewall recommended pressure, and they failed in less than 2 years and 6,000 miles. The sidewalls were like tissue paper, they were so flimsy.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Max Pressure Cold vs Hot Pressures - How Much Is Too Much
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.