|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ram 2500/Cummins

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
KHJPHOTO

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 06:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So being new to the fifth wheel community - haven’t bought one yet because I am concerned that my new truck, 2022 2500 4x4 short bed may not tow it safely. Although factory prepped for the hitch; research is showing that the gross weight of 10,000 pounds would be maxed out.

Considering the purchase of a toy hauler . What concerns me is the weight on the bed.
Truck will tow 20,000 pounds. Units looking at are the RAPTOR 351 or a Logan Toy Hauler.

Thank you for your input.

* This post was edited 11/18/21 06:52am by KHJPHOTO *

Coach-man

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 07:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The important thing to worry about is your “pin weight” That is the weight that is put inside your bed. That effects your suspension, front and rear and things like steering! In your RAM 2500, if it is “heavy Duty”, you should have the same transmission, breaks, differential as a 3500. So the next thing to check is your tires, and their rated capacity. While things like “helper springs” air bags and other “fixes” can solve an issue, you need to look at the truck as a whole to ensure your towing safely.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, almost all pin wt will go on the rear axle. Easy thing to do, is get separate axle wts of your truck ready to camp, full fuel, people, and gear. How much does rear axle weigh? Let's say 3,200, plus 200 more for hitch 3400. Look at your RAWR/tire rating (6-6.5K)? Subtract the 3,400 from your axle/tire rating, and this is the amount you can still put on rear axle.

Jerry

KHJPHOTO

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 07:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks. Pin weight is 3300 lbs, max rated for the PU is 4,000; so should be fine.

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 07:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KHJPHOTO wrote:

Thanks. Pin weight is 3300 lbs, max rated for the PU is 4,000; so should be fine.

Max pin for truck 4K? Where does this come from? I doubt your R axle rating will allow an additional 4K?

You say pin wt 3,300? Is this dry wt? You need to figure the pin wt of a loaded trailer, ready to camp. What is GVWR of toy haulers you're looking at?

The 10,000 GVWR of your truck is not the issue, but axle ratings/tire max ratings are.

You may be able to carry a pin of a 14K loaded toy hauler, but probably not much beyond that.

Jerry

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 07:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KHJPHOTO wrote:

Double check those numbers.
- I pulled up the trailer specs and GVWR is right around 17,000lb. Assuming 20-25% pin weight, that's 3400-4250lb on the pin.
- The highest payload I could find for a 2022 shortbed 4x4 was 3,160lb and that's a stripped down 6.4l gas engine model. There's a "limited" diesel with only 1,640lb payload. Check the sticker on the door frame.
- Keep in mind, you need payload for the hitch, passengers and anything else in the truck, that all counts against your payload.

Honestly, 17k 5th wheels are really better suited to diesel duallies (and if you search my posts, I'm a proponent of gas trucks most of the time but this is a big enough trailer, diesel and dually makes sense)

I'm not saying you will go out in a fiery blaze of glory within the first 50ft but it seems silly when buying new to go substandard.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

cummins2014

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KHJPHOTO wrote:

Unfortunately many tow these toy haulers with those weights with 3/4 ton pickups ,but that's beyond their safe capability , you are looking at dually numbers here .

KHJPHOTO

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 08:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sigh, guess I will hotel,it!

Thanks all for your input

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/18/21 08:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Did you take possession of the truck yet? Any chance you could change out for a dually? Usually the cost difference it pretty minimal.

KHJPHOTO

Montana

View Profile

Posted: 11/18/21 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yup got the truck - beautiful and love it. Reading here from you guys just thinking it won’t do the job. $70 grand is a hard hit if it won’t do the job!. Speaking with the dealer they tell me the pin weight of a 13,000 lb 5th wheel should be around 1800 lbs; but the specs on the trailer say 3300.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Ram 2500/Cummins
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2021 CWI, Inc. © 2021 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.